Fat man looking for a conceal carry firearm...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Im a larger guy with small hands (no i don't smell of cabbage) I have tried the Glock 23 and did not particularly fall in love with it. I am looking for something under $800. Any suggestions? I have a few in mind but am unsure as to their performance and feel upon firing them. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thank you! :dunno:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    A single-stack 9mm, maybe Kahr?

A 1911 sometimes fits smaller hands pretty well, too. Even skinny fella's can often conceal one.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    You didn't say how the Glock 23 fit your hand, or why you didn't love it, so we don't ahve a lot to go on here. I am assuming based on your "small hands" that you are looking for a compact or subcompact . Are you wanting a .40 or would you consider 9mm?
    I've been researching the following 9mms a bit, so far the Ruger SR9c is at the top of my list.
    These all have grips that are considerably smaller than the G23 and are all quite concealable.

Ruger SR9c
    S&W M&P9c
    Kimber Solo
    Walther PPS is on the slim side and comes in both .40 and 9mm.

They all seem to be within your budget as well.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sorry I didn't put that down. The glock felt weird, not to bulky it just didn't feel right when i fired it. I have a G17 and it feels great. I'd prefer a 40 or a 45. But am in no way above a 9mm. Basically when i fired the G23 it felt very uncomfortable in my left hand, There was alot of motion in my right hand as well. Aside from the fact it was like holding a 2x4 for me.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    Have you looked into a S&W M&P compact. I have one in 40 and it shoots good and is decently small. I noticed you're in Terre Haute if you would like to try an M&P out let me know and we can go shooting sometime. PM me if you're interested.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How about one of the Taurus Slim Line? They range from .380's up to .40's.
    Or there's always the Millenium Pro Concealed Carry series. Lots of different calibres there.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    How about one of the Taurus Slim Line? They range from .380's up to .40's.

SNIP

^^^^^

This here, the Taurus Slim series is a very nice firearm and very concealable, I have the 709 and love it's nice sized package.

It is very controllable and although is small, it does not have a snap to it and is very easy to get back on target quickly.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I would also suggest the M&P line. They really have fantastic ergonomics, and work really well for smaller hands.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would also suggest the M&P line. They really have fantastic ergonomics, and work really well for smaller hands.

And they have 3 different backstraps to choose from which is nice. The springfield XDms have the choice of backstrap as well. Having shot both, I prefer the feel of the M&P, but the trigger on the XDm.

I have also shot the Walther PPS in .40, which is nice and slim and conceals very well. It also kicks like a mule and leaves and imprint of the backstrap on my hands after a couple mags. Also, doesn't shoot the pretty groups the others do.

I see a lot of folks recommending the compacts. It really depends how your hands are small. If the palm width (distance between knuckles) is thin, the c models are great. If it is an issue of shorter fingers, not sure they would make a difference as far as ergonomics go.

Well, thos'r my opnions. Good luck.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I see a lot of folks recommending the compacts. It really depends how your hands are small. If the palm width (distance between knuckles) is thin, the c models are great. If it is an issue of shorter fingers, not sure they would make a difference as far as ergonomics go.

Speaking from the experience of having both small hands & short fingers, a slimmer grip can make a huge difference in trigger reach. Although it's certainly not the only factor. A realtively slim grip, but one that is bigger at the top, or a trigger set pretty far forward and a long trigger pull probably would not work, but the slim-gripped compacts that I have held definitely have a shorter trigger reach.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Just an observation ...ain't it great to have so many choices??? :D

...and my own :twocents: ...I'm very much liking my G27 (short fingers, small hands, etc., etc.) Carrys very well for me. Then again, as mentioned, lots of choices ...I love "firearms research!"

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have toyed with the idea of a 1911, the Kimber felt great in my hands, but I'm not experienced enough imo to purchase a 1911 and be happy with it. I was thinking about a XDM40 subcompact, or maybe a G26...but I haven't rulled out the M&P. Luckily it looks as if my tuba is going to be purchased in the next couple of weeks, so my funds should be adequate for trying guns and traveling a little more...but a 1911 would go great with my new M1 Garand :D

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    My vote is for the Smith and Wesson M&P series of pistols. I have smaller hands as well (I wear medium gloves), and I can tell you, the S&W M&P series of pistols is a Godsend. I shoot a full size M&P45 with the small backstrap. I would recommend looking at the M&P.40. That is what Terre Haute Police carry. If you want one, I would say LOOK at it at Gander, but have Danny Favre order it for you, and BUY it at Favre's on Fruitridge. They are great folks! Gander is WAY overpriced.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    try a sig P229 or P239, I'm fairly husky and have small hands as well and it's the best feeling handgun I've shot.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Based on the OP's comments, the overall circumference and the inherent "felt like a 2X4-ness" of the Glock grip is an issue, though he also noted that he has a 17 and it feels fine.

Of course, he could have been handling a Gen IV G23 with the largest back-strap and compared that to a Gen I or Gen II G17 w/o finger groves.
    (see: http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135908&stc=1&d=1208345729)

So really, I have no idea what the problem is. That being said, I would suggest looking at one of the larger Kahr .45 pistols, like the TP45 or P45. They have a smaller grip circumference than a Glock and are slimmer than a 1911 as well.

Conversely, I am not sure a subcompact version of a G23 sized gun is a good option. A lot of the double-stack compact guns will be just as blocky as their big sibling and if you do not like the larger one then the sub-compact will likely not be much better.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    Based on the OP's comments, the overall circumference and the inherent "felt like a 2X4-ness" of the Glock grip is an issue, though he also noted that he has a 17 and it feels fine.

Of course, he could have been handling a Gen IV G23 with the largest back-strap and compared that to a Gen I or Gen II G17 w/o finger groves.
    (see: http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135908&stc=1&d=1208345729)

So really, I have no idea what the problem is. That being said, I would suggest looking at one of the larger Kahr .45 pistols, like the TP45 or P45. They have a smaller grip circumference than a Glock and are slimmer than a 1911 as well.

Conversely, I am not sure a subcompact version of a G23 sized gun is a good option. A lot of the double-stack compact guns will be just as blocky as their big sibling and if you do not like the larger one then the sub-compact will likely not be much better.

Both were gen 3 glocks. The recoil when holding the G17 feels fine but with the Recoil and size of the grip with the G23 it feels wrong. I found it weird. Oh well. I'm just going to test some different ones and see which feels best when it goes bang.

Top Bottom