Fat man looking for a conceal carry firearm...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Both were gen 3 glocks. The recoil when holding the G17 feels fine but with the Recoil and size of the grip with the G23 it feels wrong. I found it weird. Oh well. I'm just going to test some different ones and see which feels best when it goes bang.

Based on this, I suspect that the caliber is to blame. A full size 9MM (G17) will be a much softer shooter than a mid size .40 S&W (G23). The .40 S&W round has a very sharp, snappy recoil, which I think is because of the high pressure of the round. Even though a .45 is bigger, the recoil usually feels better because the round has a lower pressure - more of a push than a snap.

You might look at a G30, which is roughly the same size as a G23, but in .45 ACP. They also make the G30SF, which has a smaller grip circumference. Or there is always the G19, which is basically the exact same size as a G23 in 9MM. Or one of the .45 GAP pistols, like a G38, though your ammo options might be a bit more limited.

For the record, I carry a G19 and I am really not a fan of .40 S&W guns.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Sorry I didn't put that down. The glock felt weird, not to bulky it just didn't feel right when i fired it. I have a G17 and it feels great. I'd prefer a 40 or a 45. But am in no way above a 9mm. Basically when i fired the G23 it felt very uncomfortable in my left hand, There was alot of motion in my right hand as well. Aside from the fact it was like holding a 2x4 for me.

I'm confused, the G17 is fine but the G23 feels like a 2x4:dunno:

Besides being a 1/2 shorter the frames are the same width and circumference

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I can agree with the snappiness of the 40 S&W, I don't know. I'm going to have to try some and see what is good. I might be a little recoil sensitive. Time will tell i assume. Thanks for the suggestions.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Whatever gun you decide on being a big guy myself I love the Crossbreed super tuck the most comfortable holster you will ever wear. I carry a S&W 99 in 40 and it just disapears even under light clothes like shorts and T shirt.
    My :twocents:

Top Bottom