• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Fatal bear attack in Yellowstone is the second this summer - latimes.com
    A Yellowstone National Park hiker whose body was found last week was mauled and killed by a grizzly bear, authorities confirmed Monday.
    The hiker was identified as 59-year-old John Wallace of Chassell, Mich. He was traveling alone and had pitched his tent in a campground along the Mary Mountain Trail on Wednesday.

The Yellowstone Department of Natural Resources is advising hikers and campers to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. They advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. They also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just wish he had been armed and able, at least, to take the bear with him. That would have been powerful magic in the Happy Hunting Grounds, and it would have really ticked off the anti-gun folks who do not want us to harm those poor little bears.

Oh boy, bet I'm gonna catch it hot for that one!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No mention of a firearm. I can't believe people aren't prepared for 2 or 4 legged animals when out in the wilderness. A large caliber pistol, or preferably a rifle, should be on person at all times when out in the wild of nature.

Absolutely, especially now that it is legal to carry in the national parks. Just remember that while one is allowed to carry in the parks, one is not allowed to fire the weapon—not even to protect one's life. A man shot a bear to protect himself last fall in Yellowstone. He was tried and convicted for illegal discharge. As I recall he did some jail time for defending himself against that bear.

A park ranger told me the story of the shooting and arrest when the ranger saw I was carrying. The ranger was not pleased that he could not order me to stow my EDC. He "threatened" me with this story as a warning for what would happen if I actually fired the Glock. I read about the court decision later. Sorry but I do not have the links to the story.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A park ranger told me the story of the shooting and arrest when the ranger saw I was carrying. The ranger was not pleased that he could not order me to stow my EDC. He "threatened" me with this story as a warning for what would happen if I actually fired the Glock. I read about the court decision later. Sorry but I do not have the links to the story.
    He apparently didn't like the shift in the power structure. What a dumb law...illegal discharge...WTH.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I've hunted the wind river range in Wyoming several times and had one brief encounter with a grizzly. He approached within 50 yards and my 270 Win and 44 mag gave me very little comfort. They are bigger than life when one sees a bear up close in the bush. I now carry a 454 Casull when going afield where grizzlys tread. I once watched while a grizzley unplanted a huge boulder in search for a rockchuck. Very fast and powerful animals. I think my choice of weapons would be a 45/70 lever action loaded with hard cast Garretts with a 454 loaded with the same type of bullets. That being said, having been in bear country, I respect them but I do not fear them. There is a few common sense precautions that will minimize bear encounters in the wild. Respect their potential! Do not invite them into camp (open food stuff). Be acutely aware of one's surrounding. Don't linger near bear kill sites. If you hang a carcass in camp, you may get unwanted visitors visitors.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    One wonders if attacks are up or if they're simply getting more press.

On a recent horseback excursion in Wyoming, after much coaxing, I got my better half to camp on the prairie in a tent, and to my delight, she loved it! So much so that she insisted upon our return that we get a tent and equipment and begin taking camping vacations.

We love the west and it's likely that in the near future we may visit the big parks out there. Not being of the Disneyesque philosophy, I don't go into big bear country without big bear medicine.

The solution was easily found at last week's Indy 1500, where, after selling a 6" Python and a Smith Model 14 at a tidy profit, I procured a 4" Model 29 .44 Magnum.

I have always loved Smith "N" frames and the big wheelgun is now one of my regular carry pieces (loaded with .44 Specials, more than adequate for bipedal predators) along with my Smith Model 1950 .45.

I certainly hope the party who was convicted of discharging a firearm in Yellowstone appeals his conviction. There is a legal principle (perhaps one of our legal eagles will elaborate) stating that a person cannot be convicted of a crime, or at least has an affirmative defense, if commission of the crime was the only reasonable action under the circumstances.

Example: It is illegal to swim in a pond. A small child falls into the pond and is drowning. A citizen jumps into the pond and rescues the drowning child. Carmel PD then arrests the rescuer for swimming in the pond (trust me, they'd do it, and Carmel's persecutor would persecute the case, and no, I didn't misspell the word).

Has the rescuer committed a crime? Neither did the guy in Yellowstone.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I won't shoot the bear if the person(s) making these inane laws volunteers
    to stand betwixt me and said bear and let the bear have first dibs on their ribs.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Just remember, they're more afraid of you than you are of them
    :rolleyes:

At least that what the enviro nazis have been propagandizing for years. I don't think a full grown grizzly fears much of anything. If your hiking alone and not appropriately armed in bear country, you're a moron.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Bears just doing what bears do. A hiker or camper getting killed is never a good thing. BUT.....

In the wild, you are on their turf and you are taking a risk. Their rules supercede ours.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    That poor man :dunno:

Dirty+Harry+11.jpg

He could have learned a thing or two from this guy.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It's absolutely irresponsible to hike into any secluded area un armed. I wouldn't do it primarily due to the threat of two legged predators, throw in the fact of being in bear country, and an un armed person is begging to die. Dude probably cheated death numerous times, but the odds, and a bear, finally got him. Amazing anyone would put themselves in that situation. Just plain dumb.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah....you're in the bears woods. Do what he wants. If the bear comes into your home, feel free to boss him around. But until then...yeah, just don't screw with the bear.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    have family with property in WY( wind river too kolob10) always ask them about bears, they dont see a too many, but also say you just dont go in the woods without some protection. just second nature to them. hate to see anyone go that way, hope people learn from it.

Top Bottom