• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    finished this one yesterday. first time i have done this dark stonewashed finish and i LOVE it! blade is 2" wide (thus "fatboy) out of cpm154. green canvas micarta.

i love this pattern. its a small pakage with alot of punch. over all its around 8" or so (haven't measured this one though) and has alot of belly (fatboy!).

what do you think?

image.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i think it looks great. i would have preferred a tanto :) it looks great man and out of cmp154 thats a solid working stainless steel. i would like to see the micarta smoothed down towards the blade or at least a wide finger type groove so as to put my thumb there in different grips. not many people do it buy i have a koster bushcrafter and a buddy modded it and i love it.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i think it looks great. i would have preferred a tanto :) it looks great man and out of cmp154 thats a solid working stainless steel. i would like to see the micarta smoothed down towards the blade or at least a wide finger type groove so as to put my thumb there in different grips. not many people do it buy i have a koster bushcrafter and a buddy modded it and i love it.

the reason i leave the shoulder on the front is because it gives you the correct position (IMHO) to "pinch" when doing delicate cuts with the BELLY of the blade. if i tapered it, that would move you farther to the back of the handle in the "pinch grip" making blade control in the belly area a little less delicate.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the reason i leave the shoulder on the front is because it gives you the correct position (IMHO) to "pinch" when doing delicate cuts with the BELLY of the blade. if i tapered it, that would move you farther to the back of the handle in the "pinch grip" making blade control in the belly area a little less delicate.

that makes sense also. what about a finger (really thumb) groove in it. still leave it the shoulders on it for the pinch grip?

what i mentioned definitely isn't a deal breaker just something i have noticed on my bushcraft blades i kind of enjoy

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I got to see this knife while Cubby was working on it and it looks like it turned out great. Now I'll have to head back to Cubby's to check out the finish on it

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    that makes sense also. what about a finger (really thumb) groove in it. still leave it the shoulders on it for the pinch grip?

what i mentioned definitely isn't a deal breaker just something i have noticed on my bushcraft blades i kind of enjoy

if it had a scallop on the rear for the thumb i would probly grind the shoulder down a bit. it would depend on the placement of the scallop. if you put swells and dips in the wrong spot, when doing handles, it can mess the whole thing up. bad ergos on a handle are probly worse than i dull knife.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Great looking design there Cubby. I like that alot. As someone else said, it kind of looks like a shorter chef's knife. I think it would be a handy knife for lots of different uses.

I am also digging that finish. I have got to learn how to do some of the different finishes I keep seeing.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if it had a scallop on the rear for the thumb i would probly grind the shoulder down a bit. it would depend on the placement of the scallop. if you put swells and dips in the wrong spot, when doing handles, it can mess the whole thing up. bad ergos on a handle are probly worse than i dull knife.

you and your technical terms lol. just kidding and i agree with you bad handle ergos are a deal break and will cause the sale of a knife immediately. its a great design and beautiful looking blade.

Glockman45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    South Indy
    Hello Cubby,
    Beautiful blade! I am new to knife making myself and was curious if you would share any info on how you finish your blades. That is the area I am struggling with most. (besides having the time to work on them) I am trying to come up with a good looking satin type finish. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Newby

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Hello Cubby,
    Beautiful blade! I am new to knife making myself and was curious if you would share any info on how you finish your blades. That is the area I am struggling with most. (besides having the time to work on them) I am trying to come up with a good looking satin type finish. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Newby

been gone for a few days. i'll get something around in the next day or two!

post up some pics if you get time!

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    :drool:

(I think this is an appropriate time to bust out the new smiley)
    Wow, what an absolutely stunning blade, Cubby. I look forward to your threads to see what else you've cooked up. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom