Father kills drunk driver that killed his 2 children.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm not saying the father was right for what he did, but at the same time having his kids taken from him might have also taken his reason for life. Maybe he felt he had nothing more to lose by seeking revenge, and jail is no more punishment than the hell he will have to live through having lost his kids.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There are way too many ppl in today's society that don't care about anything but them self. He didn't care enough to NOT drink and drive.

Not saying what dad did was right....but I can't even imagine what that would be like to have 2 of your kids killed right in front of you and the guy who was responsible for it right in front of you.

Father Kills the Drunk Driver That Killed His Sons | HEAVY

Uncle: Dad recalls crash in Alvin that killed two boys as blur | abc13.com

I can't and won't make excuses for what the drunk driver did but this guy had 2 younger kids and his wife in the truck. If the guy ends up getting a long sentence, I'm sure his younger kids and wife will take comfort in the fact that pops is also gone from the family now. I can't say that I blame him for killing the guy but at the same time it didn't bring his kids back and it didn't help his family any.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I think if you just watched your two sons being run and killed over there isn't much sanity left which to rationalize the events as they are unfolding. If I was on the jury I believe I would acquit the father. I mean he at least made it quick and humane. The drunk is lucky he wasn't beat to death.

Being a father of 2 i know it would be very very hard not to do the same thing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Revenge is against the rules, if one subscribes to some of the more popular religious beliefs.

And then we have our laws.

The posts of "I might do the same" are disturbing.

Admitting that possible lack of control (IMHO) means you shouldn't have a freakin' gun.

TravisJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Muncie/Ft. Wayne, IN
    If I lost my daughter in such a way I don't rightly know what I would do, but I do know my life would be over no matter what choice I made. I hope he gets a sympathetic jury and doesn't go to prison, but either way he will probably be in jail awaiting trial while the rest of his family buries his sons. Terrible all the way around, countless lives are destroyed because some jackass couldn't be bothered to call a cab or a friend.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    The thing is your life is not over. You still have the rest of your family to take care of. It would be a horrible thing but that was out of your control. Those boys are now in gods hands. As a father what you are in control of is yourself and your family but he forgot that. I think he made a big big mistake. I'm not saying the thoughts wouldn't cross my mind. I'm just saying its pure stupid to act on it. Revenge only cause more pain. This is just a crappy tragic story no matter how you spin it. Prayers for all involved

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Revenge is against the rules, if one subscribes to some of the more popular religious beliefs.

And then we have our laws.

The posts of "I might do the same" are disturbing.

Admitting that possible lack of control (IMHO) means you shouldn't have a freakin' gun.

Unless you have seen two of your kids killed right before your very eyes I'm not sure anyone here knows what they would do. I would venture to say all bets are off at that point and anything could happen. Temporary Insanity is a funny thing and affects people differently. I think admitting one might lose it could be the first step in not losing it if something that traumatic were to happen to you. But then again, maybe not. Let's just hope and pray something like this doesn't happen to anyone here.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I agree with some of the comments on that website. Back in the day, you could kill a man for stealing your horse. I think it is perfectly acceptable especially if it's your kids. You might not say that now, but the guy never had the thought of murder in his head until BOTH his kids died by some dumb ass behind the wheel. And I guarantee you there'd be less drunks driving after hearing that story.

The-Last-Round

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Brazil
    Probably thought the guy would get a slap on the wrist and be back on the street after a year or two. Or go back to mexico and get away with it.

It seems society functioned a bit better when the dregs of it were handled quickly at the gallows.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Being charged does not equal being convicted and sentenced. My guess is that he will never do a day of prison time. Mental facility? Yes. Prison? No.

draytime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Thats a tough thing to see. My initial thought would be hurt but you have to be able to shake it especially on your way to get your gun.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    My moral code does not allow me to take revenge. And especially at that level - to the point of taking a life. Would I be sympathetic to this man? Absolutely. But it is way smarter to do as the Amish folks did in Pennsylvania when their kids were murdered. Forgive. Immediately. Very hard to do - but it will protect the sanity of the person that forgives. Revenge does not bring anyone back. Bitterness and anger only make life worse for the survivors.

And when I say "forgive" , I don't necessarily mean in a religious sense. For the atheists and agnostics among us, that could just as easily be worded "let it go". It simply is a principle that works.

For the record, my moral code DOES allow me to Protect to the point of taking life. Hence I carry. But if for any reason - a drunk driver, or some other idiot gets past my protective influence and harms my loved ones (God forbid) - forgiveness trumps revenge. Even if that's a brutally hard thing to do.

Top Bottom