• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    So I decided to give my father, a 3 tour Vietnam vet, an A1 type replica. The idea has been in my head for years and recently ran across a very nice condition A1 upper over a yankee hill lower, with A1ish furniture. I traded the gentleman (An awesone fellow INGOer), and decided to spruce it a bit....

2f65b95d.jpg

85d56fe7.jpg

I duracoated the upper and lower in Black Oxide to even the tone and clean it up a bit, then hit the mag in OD to match the furniture. Squeeky clean and ready for action.

I know it's non standard in 7.62X39 and a non traditional A1, but my Pop's always favored the M14s before the M16s took over, so I think he'll appreciate the gesture. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Very nice looking. Is that a 16" bbl with short triangular hand guards? I would love a 16" Commando style upper like that.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Thanks again Guys! I'll try and get a pic of his reaction. Yessir, that is a 16" with carbine length guards. I'm pretty stoked too! I'm sure he'll love it. He'll probably get a kick out of the 7.62 as well, right up until he has to buy mags! I already ordered some new followers for regular mags.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Looks like a great gift. I know my father had said that the last real rifle that the military used was the M1 Garand, so, when I came back from overseas, I had gotten him one for Christmas, and for his birthday was an ammo can of 30'06 already in En Bloc clips. That was in 05. We just finished that can up this last year. Still one of his favorite presents. I am sure that your father will love it as well.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Your dad is a lucky man to have a son like you. I think you just may see a smile on his face you couldn't grind off with a power sander!

Nice present...and it's terrific eye candy as well!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Pretty cool. I don't remember having 30 round mags though. We all used 20's. I think 30 rounders came along with the A2 in about 1985 or so. I don't remember exactly. But I know that we had 20's from 70 to 73.

He will love it no matter what. And I think your effort is really cool.

3 tours? That is truly exceptional. I would love to shake his hand.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Thanks guys! I'm back from Bama and he was truly speechless! His genuine appreciation was only matched by mine for his service and dedication to family. It was a good, albeit short visit. We did a bunch of shooting, scouring local shops, and just hanging out. I count my blessing to have such a great Pop and family. I'll try and find a pic of him opening it...

Top Bottom