• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let's be honest...we're all just a little surprised he lasted this long.

Like his music, though I prefer Louis Armstrong's version of "Blueberry Hill"...but it's like choosing between two fine wines- no losers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's be honest...we're all just a little surprised he lasted this long.

Like his music, though I prefer Louis Armstrong's version of "Blueberry Hill"...but it's like choosing between two fine wines- no losers.

You're just talking about that song right? I mean, if we're considering bodies of work, Fats is off the island. Armstrong stays.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Like Hough I am kind of surprised he lasted this long...A full rich life for sure....

My Dad told me one of the greatest sins of his generation is that Pat Boone's version sold more copies of his rendition of Blueberry Hill than Fat's version...I asked dad why and he said, "Race...Pure and simple...Parent's didn't want their kids listening to "race music" so they had Boone record the song so we could still have the song....We all listened to Fat's version anyway...Not Boone's version.....Now let me tell you about one of the greatest baseball players that ever lived but couldn't play in the Major's until after his prime...Satchel Page..."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like Hough I am kind of surprised he lasted this long...A full rich life for sure....

My Dad told me one of the greatest sins of his generation is that Pat Boone's version sold more copies of his rendition of Blueberry Hill than Fat's version...I asked dad why and he said, "Race...Pure and simple...Parent's didn't want their kids listening to "race music" so they had Boone record the song so we could still have the song....We all listened to Fat's version anyway...Not Boone's version.....Now let me tell you about one of the greatest baseball players that ever lived but couldn't play in the Major's until after his prime...Satchel Page..."

Never knew that Pat Boone recorded that song.... geez it absolutely sucked.

[video=youtube;qrhspylZSNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrhspylZSNI[/video]

made me want to go to sleep. Did it really sell more than Fat's version?

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Going to date myself here.... 1957, Medford, Oregon, National Guard Armory. Fats Domino live and in concert. I still remember (most of) the words to "Blue Monday", "Blueberry Hill" and "I'm Walking" - all released that year. ...60 years ago....where does the time go?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    made me want to go to sleep. Did it really sell more than Fat's version?

Yes...

And it isn't that white dudes can't do soul and r&b well (nor that black folk can't do country and rock and/or roll well) it's just that Pat Boone isn't one of them...You mentioned Jerry Lee Lewis and his piano playing is straight out of southern black Gospel...He can pull it off because he said as a kid he would sit outside the black services to listen to the music...He said it spoke to him through his ears to his heart...In other words Jerry Lee was playing from his heart, Pat Boone was not....

Blues and Bluegrass have always been my favorite forms of music...I have heard Bluegrass musicians and Blue's musicians say the exact same thing in interviews almost word for word...

"You got to play/sing it front the heart...If you ain't people will pick up on that....The fans know...When you are singing about pain and heartbreak you are singing WITH them...Not AT them..."

It's crying in your beer, bourbon, and Zima music Kut....It's got to come from the heart.....

When I was 15 I was a busboy at a local Holiday Inn Dining Room....I hung out in the kitchen mostly...Chef Reid and Tom were two older black guys that ran the kitchen like they were still in the Army...I remember one time when Chef Reid came in wearing a B B King T shirt I complimented him on his shirt and said I was a fan...He and Tom busted out laughing, through their tears I could hear Chef saying, "Tom this little white boy says he likes and knows B B King's music....With that mullet and skinny tie no less..." (It was the 80's Kut so cut me some slack on my attire and hair style:))

I responded the way my dad told it to me....

"If it wasn't for folks like B B King, Muddy Waters, and Big Mama Thornton, Elvis Presley would still be alive and driving trucks in Tupelo, Mississippi..."

Dead silence...Followed by roaring laughter, a tousling of my hair and these words which resound to this day.....

"That little white boy's alright Tom..."

Then they invited me catfishing...

But only because Papaw had a Catalpa tree....You better know what that means.....Access to a good Catalpa tree got me in good with Chef and Tom LOL......

Last edited:
    Top Bottom