• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onviousluu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    If you turn on Faux right now, Sean Hannity is trying to argue TOby Gerhart is a victim of "racism" because white people didn't draft him high enough in the NFL draft. HAHA

Wow.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you turn on Faux right now, Sean Hannity is trying to argue TOby Gerhart is a victim of "racism" because white people didn't draft him high enough in the NFL draft. HAHA

Wow.

Hannity (and I'm not much of a fan) is using this to illustrate the double standard.

For instance, it used to be that the lack of black quarterbacks was proof of racism. Actually, at one time racism was the reason for the lack of black quarterbacks.

Then it was the lack of black coaches that proved racism. Now there are black coaches, but the fact that black coaches are overrepresented in the NFL according to population, but underrepresented according to NFL player demographics is somehow proof of racism. If you think about that, the counter to their own argument is contained in their argument.

But of course the fact that there are NO white cornerbacks starting in the NFL (and I don't know of any white backup cornersbacks, either) is proof of nothing, according to the race baiters.

Hannity is using this issue to illustrate the double standard, and for that, I applaud him.

onviousluu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Hannity (and I'm not much of a fan) is using this to illustrate the double standard.

For instance, it used to be that the lack of black quarterbacks was proof of racism. Actually, at one time racism was the reason for the lack of black quarterbacks.

Then it was the lack of black coaches that proved racism. Now there are black coaches, but the fact that black coaches are overrepresented in the NFL according to population, but underrepresented according to NFL player demographics is somehow proof of racism. If you think about that, the counter to their own argument is contained in their argument.

But of course the fact that there are NO white cornerbacks starting in the NFL (and I don't know of any white backup cornersbacks, either) is proof of nothing, according to the race baiters.

Hannity is using this issue to illustrate the double standard, and for that, I applaud him.

I know what he's trying to illustrate. He's representing the same ignorant "angry white man" argument. He's proved nothing accept his own ignorance.

According to his physical abilities, Gerhart was drafted accordingly.... Anyone who watches Football knows this.

And just for the record, the argument that black coaches are underrepresented is not an argument based on US population, but of football population. In other words, since there is such a high number of black football players, you'd assume there would be a percentage of black coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Why assume that? By the same argument you make for drafting the best players, teams should hire the best coaches.

If we'd stop COUNTING skin color this and skin color that for every last aspect of lour lives, maybe we truly would get to a point of being color blind.

And the funny thing is, the drive to win will overcome remaining racial barriers better than any Rooney Rule will. If you don't believe me then how'd Tony Dungy get hired and coach a team to the Superbowl? It sure wasn't for some racial quota social engineering experiments.

It's not "angry white man" syndrome. It's "sick and tired of race baiting" syndrome.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And just for the record, the argument that black coaches are underrepresented is not an argument based on US population, but of football population. In other words, since there is such a high number of black football players, you'd assume there would be a percentage of black coaches.

Why? In fact only someone who doesn't really understand logic would make such a simplistic assumption.

Is not the arena of sports the one area where excellence in performance is rewarded? Why would a proven coach (of any color) be replaced by an unproven coach (of the black race) when it is winners who are rewarded? Your logic, or illogic, makes no sense. Especially given the lag time between playing a game and coaching the same game; further factor in the number of years a successful coach can remain a coach, which is literally DECADES and compare that to a typical career in the NFL that may be 4 to 8 years. There is, therefore, very low turnover in coaching positions. Realistically the best coaches take decades to develop their skills, going back 20 to 30 years in sports, a lower % of black players existed than it does today. Consequently in coaching, based on the lag times between playing and coaching, the career length of each profession, then one could presume that black coaches will be more common in 5 or 10 years than they are today but it is not unreasonable to presume they will NOT be much more common.

I believe you need to take more than superficial points into account when you try to argue. You show lack of depth of thought.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    It's not "angry white man" syndrome. It's "sick and tired of race baiting" syndrome.

this.

racism will continue to be an issue because the racial pimps MAKE it an issue. Guys like Al Sharpton make millions by playing the race card. Remember the Duke case? Funny how the Revs didnt offer much of an apology to those students....

and while we are talking racism, i find it interesting how tens of thousands of African Americans registered and voted for the first time in 2008. But somehow that isn't racist? Just sayin'

onviousluu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Why? In fact only someone who doesn't really understand logic would make such a simplistic assumption.

Is not the arena of sports the one area where excellence in performance is rewarded? Why would a proven coach (of any color) be replaced by an unproven coach (of the black race) when it is winners who are rewarded? Your logic, or illogic, makes no sense. Especially given the lag time between playing a game and coaching the same game; further factor in the number of years a successful coach can remain a coach, which is literally DECADES and compare that to a typical career in the NFL that may be 4 to 8 years. There is, therefore, very low turnover in coaching positions. Realistically the best coaches take decades to develop their skills, going back 20 to 30 years in sports, a lower % of black players existed than it does today. Consequently in coaching, based on the lag times between playing and coaching, the career length of each profession, then one could presume that black coaches will be more common in 5 or 10 years than they are today but it is not unreasonable to presume they will NOT be much more common.

I believe you need to take more than superficial points into account when you try to argue. You show lack of depth of thought.

I'm personally not arguing there isn't enough black coaches. I was simply illustrating the argument from the players assoc. point of view.

can someone point me to the "Politics" in this thread? Otherwise I'm going to move it to the break room where it belongs.

I'm sorry, I thought it would be better suited here. /n00b

Why assume that? By the same argument you make for drafting the best players, teams should hire the best coaches.

If we'd stop COUNTING skin color this and skin color that for every last aspect of lour lives, maybe we truly would get to a point of being color blind.

And the funny thing is, the drive to win will overcome remaining racial barriers better than any Rooney Rule will. If you don't believe me then how'd Tony Dungy get hired and coach a team to the Superbowl? It sure wasn't for some racial quota social engineering experiments.

Exactly. This is the same reason Toby Gerhart didn't get drafted higher. He was valued accordingly, and if people thought he was better they would have drafted him higher.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Why don't you read my post.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Because it conflicts with his agenda and he would rather ignore it.

Racism is so over used it is sickening. True racism is when the highest qualified individual is passed over because of skin color.
    It works both ways.
    So what Hannity is saying has some validity to it.

:+1:

I honestly could care less about skin color..........if you are best suited for the job, ANY JOB, then it should be yours. Those people, black white or whatever that feel they should get special treatment are just that......."special". And if they get butthurt over it, well then I say they need get some water (and if tap water is too strong, they sell distilled at the store) and splash some up in the nether reigons as to wash the sand out of their man-gina's.

Tried to rep you BE, but I can't

onviousluu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010

Racism is so over used it is sickening. True racism is when the highest qualified individual is passed over because of skin color.
    It works both ways.

The only one not complaining about racism in this thread is me. I'm the one that is laughing at the idea a slow running back not getting drafted in the first round is racist. Because it is obvious that the white running back is not a victim of race, then it also would mean Hannity's argument that there is a double standard would not be properly illustrated.

Also it is worth mentioning how ridiculous it is to accuse all white front offices of racism against white people. It is possible for someone to be racist against his or her own race, but the front office of an NFL team doesn't benefit any such way from doing this. First since wins translate into higher profits (most of the time, not always) and the fact that having a white running back would naturally excite their own fan base (of which the majority is white). So what possible reason would a president or manager have to not draft a white runningback?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's rather "funny", though...

When you compare Gerhart's Combine numbers with those of several other "black" football players at the same position... He's equal to or better than a lot of them.

Yet people are doubting Gerhart's ability and/or labeling him as a "fullback". The point made earlier in the draft is that those other "black" running backs with those very similar stats weren't ever considered "fullbacks"...

Look at when Tyler Hansbrough was coming out into the NBA draft. Same type of situation. You have another example of an excellent athlete, one of the best of his position in the country. But because he's white, he's considered more of a risky move for a pro team, that he's some kind of athletic freak because he's so good AND white...not because he's just a great athlete.

Reverse Racism May Affect Toby Gerhart In Draft Evaluation | News One

Why Toby Gerhart's Race Will Prevent Him from Winning the Heisman | Bleacher Report

Toby Gerhart: Too white for the NFL? - The Week

Stanford's Toby Gerhart rare breed as white feature running back - Phil Taylor - SI.com

City Brights: Zennie Abraham : Toby Gerhart is the NFL's 21st Century Jim Brown

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    can someone point me to the "Politics" in this thread? Otherwise I'm going to move it to the break room where it belongs.

This thread is absolutely about politics, and frankly, I'm at a loss as to why it's not obvious to you.

The thread is about racism in employment, brought to current events by one of the most watched and listened to political commentators around. Racism in employment is a political issue about which there has been many threads in politics before. The fact that the employment is in professional sports doesn't make it "not politics."

It works both ways.

Of all the annoying tactics, I think I dislike this one the most: ignoring a counter point and continuing on with your assertions as if they hadn't even been challenged. It's a typically a tactic of the left, just keep saying the same thing, ignoring counterpoints, then at the end claiming that no one could come up with an argument against.

I'm resolving to bail out of arguments with these kinds of folks early. It's so sophomoric and just plain boring.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This thread is absolutely about politics, and frankly, I'm at a loss as to why it's not obvious to you.

The thread is about racism in employment, brought to current events by one of the most watched and listened to political commentators around. Racism in employment is a political issue about which there has been many threads in politics before. The fact that the employment is in professional sports doesn't make it "not politics."

I'd argue that just because someone is a political talking head. That employment, and racism has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with either racism, or employment, but nowhere in this entire discussion is a single politician being discussed. A Senator isn't being accused of creating this bias. There aren't any City County Councilmen involved.

This is news, I'll agree completely. This isn't Politics.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'd argue that just because someone is a political talking head. That employment, and racism has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with either racism, or employment, but nowhere in this entire discussion is a single politician being discussed. A Senator isn't being accused of creating this bias. There aren't any City County Councilmen involved.

This is news, I'll agree completely. This isn't Politics.

By that standard, about half the threads in Politics should be here.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Definition:
    Politics is a process by which groups of people make collective decisions. The term is generally applied to behavior within civil governments, but politics has been observed in other group interactions, including corporate, academic, and religious institutions. It consists of "social relations involving authority or power"[1] and refers to the regulation of a political unit,[2] and to the methods and tactics used to formulate and apply policy.[3]

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    According to his physical abilities, Gerhart was drafted accordingly.... Anyone who watches Football knows this.

This is untrue. The argument against white running backs is their lack of 40 speed. He ran a 4.5 40, well under what they expected. The #12 pick in the draft only ran .05 faster and is 15lbs lighter.

I'm not saying Hannity is right here, but Gerhart is a better player. He has the college career to back it up.

Top Bottom