• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    lets say you go to a gun store, and are looking at a hand gun. The nice fellow behind the counter happily hands it to you from the case. How much of a faux pas is it to pull the trigger to see what the trigger pull is.

You see, i have fairly weak hands. I would hate to buy a gun and then find out at the range, or while out shooting that its hard for me to pull the trigger.

thanks please don't flame me. Just looking for info.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I always ask if I can dry-fire a gun, and before I do I check the gun myself to ensure it's unloaded even I watched the guy do it, and I always aim in a safe direction.

This is the way to go. I never dry fire a gun without asking, whether it's one that is reported to be fine with dry firing or not.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I always ask if I can dry-fire a gun, and before I do I check the gun myself to ensure it's unloaded even I watched the guy do it, and I always aim in a safe direction.

That was basically what I wanted to do. I obviously would just take the gun from the fellow and pull the trigger while pointed in a random direction and with out ensuring there was nothing in it.

I just didnt want to say "do you mind if i dry fire it?" and then have him jump on a soap box and start telling me im a terrible person and then have the guys in the shop run me out on a rail.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That was basically what I wanted to do. I obviously would just take the gun from the fellow and pull the trigger while pointed in a random direction and with out ensuring there was nothing in it.

I just didnt want to say "do you mind if i dry fire it?" and then have him jump on a soap box and start telling me im a terrible person and then have the guys in the shop run me out on a rail.

This just may happen, depending on the store you go to. If it does, I can name several that would like to have your business and would not embarrass you over such a trivial matter.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I think I will be swinging by bradis on sat morning. I've been there once before and they seemed nice enough to the other people, I didnt get a chance to chat with them bc they were soooo busy. I don't think it would be a problem to ask them. But i wouldn't ask at don's I wouldnt want to get shot.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's a reasonable request.

If the store clerk/salesperson/or owner reacts wildly, you simply move on.

I'd like to try the LCR's trigger when I'm ready to buy one. Just to see if it is what people say. I won't buy it without trying the very one I'm planning to buy.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This just may happen, depending on the store you go to. If it does, I can name several that would like to have your business and would not embarrass you over such a trivial matter.

Exactly. I've on rare occasion had the guy behind the counter tell me no, but I've never gotten a lecture. If I ever did I'd walk out right there and then because there's darn few guns so unique that I have to buy that one there.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm not buying anything without pulling the trigger first. I usually reserve dry firing for guns I am seriously considering buying. When I bought my SP101 three weeks ago it was how easy the trigger pulled that cinched the deal. Originally I was looking for a used one so it would be easier to pull the trigger. The trigger on the new SP101 pulled just as easy as any of the used ones I had looked at, so I bought it.

Last edited:

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    If they are interested in selling you a gun they'll let you dry fire it. I've never even asked before but I won't do it unless I'm seriously interested in buying.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You could always carry some snap caps with you. As long as you show the guy its a snap cap and nothing more and ask if he cares, I dont see the problem.

You mentioned going to Bradis, They are always nice in there, and very helpfull. The only time they minded if I dry fired a gun (I always ask first) is when I accedently dry fired a Browning Buckmark. Dry firing a rimfire is a big no no, or so i was told, and im sure they are right. I bought the gun immediately after that. Now Im sure they dont give a hoot how much it gets dry fired. lol.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks every one. This is one reason I love this place. Always some one around to help a person out. If all goes well I'll be bringing home a new gun on sat

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Looks like its pretty mulch unanimous...I ask too. I havent bought as many guns as some, but I've never been told 'no' when I've asked.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Generally, centerfires are ok with dry firing and rimfires not.. But it's always good to ask. I can tell you that where Glocks or 1911s are concerned it doesn't damage anything. Dropping the slide from the slide release on an empty chamber may get a few people's hackles up, especially if it's a 1911. :)

Top Bottom