• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    What's your favorite edc pack , I'm looking for something new and would love to hear what others are running
    Thinking I want something not terribly conspicuous, set up for hydration bladder, possibly able to hold a broke down ar pistol but not a deal breaker
    Good number of organization pockets and such inside and of course durable
    I carry booboo kit ,basic trauma, knife, fire starting , a little dried food extra mags....stuff like that

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Tagging for responses.

I'm a bit of a gear nerd myself and have unfortunately been in the search for the "perfect" EDC bag for years now, pretty much like everybody else, LOL. Currently I'm using a Goruck Bullet 15L. It's a good EDC bag, well built with good features. It's a little more suited to someone who carries modular kits inside of a bag since the organization is minimal, but it's quality kit.

That said, trying out numerous bags over the years, the experience has given me a list of features that I'm looking for in a bag:

1. 20-25L capacity

2. Lightweight - 500D nylon in lieu of 1000D, No excessive straps or MOLLE. My target is under 2 pounds for just the bag.

3. Somewhat inconspicuous - Not trying to look like I just walked out of Afghanistan, but also not trying to anally hide it.

4. Spacer mesh or similar lining on the back panel and shoulder straps

5. Side water bottle pockets or MOLLE panels. Nothing sucks more than keeping your water bottle in your bag. I mean, you can, it's just not handy and takes up valuable space.

6. Either substantial admin area on the front pouch, or MOLLE to attach an admin pouch on the front.

Not that I'll probably find one with all those features, but I keep trying. Only other benefits would be a built-in sunglasses/soft pouch and a minimal laptop compartment (which could hold that nifty broken down AR, PDW, SBR or SUB2K).

My EDC bag progression:

Traeger Messenger bag
    5.11 PUSH Pack
    Blackhawk Battle Bag
    Blackwater Gear GO Bag
    5.11 COVRT 18
    Kelty Peregrine
    Tactical Tailor LiteLok Assault Pack
    Cannae Pro Gear Simplex
    Goruck Bullet 10L
    Goruck Bullet 15L

So. needless to say, I've been all over the place, mainly to find the right features and size, without going crazy in weight. The next two I'm keeping in mind are:

1630800030980.png

1630800114981.png

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Vertx Overland that I have been trying to transition to from my Maxpedition for over a year. Its got all the cool stuff and versatility, with extra holster/handgun mounts, folding pistol quick access, laptop/armor plate sleeve, etc.

I keep finding excuses, in my head, to not tear into the Max bag contents. :xmad:

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    A couple of observations from a scouter. While I like bladders, I think water bottles are easier to clean. I like the nalgene bottles & they make a carrier for them. Also, I like the first aid kit carried on the outside and well marked as a first aid kit.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    So far in my search I'm liking the looks of the mystery ranch 2 day assault pack ...little more on the tactical looking side but not overly so imo
    But this one from condor caught my eye, you can reverse the Molle panel to cut down on the tactical look , I know condor doesn't have the rep of some others but really like the overall concept of the bag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-085208_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20210905-085208_Samsung Internet.jpg
      734.6 KB · Views: 5

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a condor. Another thing to think about is adjusting the bag seasonally.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was just curious because I have seen people at the mall and B&N carrying backpacks.
    I don't see myself regularly carrying a backpack all the time.

It's good that others do though. Makes it not too noticeable if I choose or have to.

Similar to a mask, (thats in the bag,) I don't regularly wear one. If it might benefit to cover your identity though...?

If it's time to take your folding pistol out of your bag, it might be time to put on the mask for your walk out of Armageddon?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Been running a Hazard 4 Evac Rocket sling bag for a GHB/EDC combo for several years now.
    Once I realized the difference between what I wanted to carry and what I truly needed to carry, it was plenty of bag.
    It stows away nicely, very "gray man" and built like a tank.
    It will hold a bladder, but I prefer a Berkey water bottle with a life straw back-up. It'll hold a broken down AR with a smaller barrel, but I chose a full size, hi-cap semi auto pistol with multiple mags as evasion vs. confrontation is my goal.
    Ounces equal pounds and I'm too old to carry unnecessary weight.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Been running a Hazard 4 Evac Rocket sling bag for a GHB/EDC combo for several years now.
    Once I realized the difference between what I wanted to carry and what I truly needed to carry, it was plenty of bag.
    It will hold a bladder, but I prefer a Berkey water bottle with a life straw back-up. It'll hold a broken down AR with a smaller barrel, but I chose a full size, hi-cap semi auto pistol with multiple mags as evasion vs. confrontation is my goal.
    Thanks for the reply, definitely something to consider....ounces equal pounds for sure!!

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As the kids say on the Reddits, “this guy ****s.” (It’s a good thing jerrob, rhymes with “ducks”)

For those new to the game, an EDC (every day carry) bag is a great idea for the tactically-minded and self-reliant. Think of it like grandpa’s toolbox he kept in the old truck - with those tools he could keep the truck running in the case of an emergency, and probably fix a few other things as well. An EDC bag of some sort allows you carry (to your desired amount of humpage) or have near immediate access to tools that can range from making minute tasks easier, to possibly saving your life.

You can carry it everywhere, from the house to the car, from the house to the car to work, leave it in the car, whatever floats your boat. It’s just a bag of goodies based your perceived needs that can supply you with convenience and peace of mind.

Depending on occupation, your kit can have a varying list of items, especially if you have to go through security for your job or elsewhere, where some items may be prohibited. Your kit can also depend on size and duties, whether or not you want it to support you on foot or based out of your car.

Without any weight given to a specific item, here’s a list of common EDC items:

-pistol and spare mags
    -disassembled rifle/SBR/PDW w/support gear
    -knife/multitool
    -IFAK/first aid/meds
    -phone charger/power supply
    -Silcock key
    -fire starting kit
    -water bottle and disinfection method
    -yloves
    -eyepro
    -bandanna/particulate mask
    -flashlight/spare batteries
    -snack or protein bars
    -work specific tools
    -cordage/tape

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My bag hangs by my bed. Wallet lives in it along with all the belt, phones and pocket equipment that gets carried when going out anywhere.

Everything important except for cloths (firefighter ready, hanging on the door,) in the event the house is on fire. Grab and go.

I carry on body 99% of the time, but my bag is set up for quick access carrying off body, should that need to be.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I never carried an EDC bag until the pandemic hit. I never know what stores will require a mask or not, plus adding sanitizer to the mix. I carry a small bag if I know I’ll be out for the day with my wife or something. Spare ammo, cash, cards, etc. fit right in. I’m considering going to a full backpack this fall.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't wear a backpack every day. The closest thing I have to that is a small kit I keep in my vehicle. The bag I got my hands on changed last year when the riots were hitting cities all over and I wanted a layer of completely non-tactical protection. I've used all kinds of bags before in the past, but this is my current and favorite "get home bag" or "whatever" bag. https://www.ar500armor.com/phoenix.html

Those backpacks stop bullets. I'm as much of a lightweight gear snob as anyone, but there's a time and a place for that. That bag above, looks like a bag any nerd on the street would have holding their laptop on the way to their fantasy football meeting or a meeting for their job as a web designer. I didn't want any molle or camo on the bag for all the grey man reasons.

Inside the bag I follow the Dave Canterbury 5 C's. I can cut & combust (mora light my fire), cover (helikon swagman & poncho), container (grayl filter), and cordage (bankline wrapped on a big chunk of fatwood. In addition to those I have some first aid goodies, water filtering ability, and some snacks for calories. I've day hiked and multiday backpacked enough to know what I'll need and not need. Total weight is somewhere around 20#, but keep in mind I've got body armor on my back or if need be can swing the bag around the front to cover my chest if I had to get through something.

Just my two cents.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I don't wear a backpack every day. The closest thing I have to that is a small kit I keep in my vehicle. The bag I got my hands on changed last year when the riots were hitting cities all over and I wanted a layer of completely non-tactical protection. I've used all kinds of bags before in the past, but this is my current and favorite "get home bag" or "whatever" bag. https://www.ar500armor.com/phoenix.html

Those backpacks stop bullets. I'm as much of a lightweight gear snob as anyone, but there's a time and a place for that. That bag above, looks like a bag any nerd on the street would have holding their laptop on the way to their fantasy football meeting or a meeting for their job as a web designer. I didn't want any molle or camo on the bag for all the grey man reasons.

Inside the bag I follow the Dave Canterbury 5 C's. I can cut & combust (mora light my fire), cover (helikon swagman & poncho), container (grayl filter), and cordage (bankline wrapped on a big chunk of fatwood. In addition to those I have some first aid goodies, water filtering ability, and some snacks for calories. I've day hiked and multiday backpacked enough to know what I'll need and not need. Total weight is somewhere around 20#, but keep in mind I've got body armor on my back or if need be can swing the bag around the front to cover my chest if I had to get through something.

Just my two cents.
    Good kit and write up!

If one has a favorite backpack, you can slip in a IIIA soft armor panel into it and uparmor it as well. Works well with a bag that has a laptop sleeve it similar pocket, but you can can also throw it in against the back panel and they don’t take up much space.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have had a lot of packs over the years. I owned a company that made packs. I’ve carried packs hundreds of miles.
    Very few have impressed me, even the ones we made. Most were ok. Some were “meh” and some were decent.

Is what I’ve been carrying lately and has quickly become my favorite.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have had a lot of packs over the years. I owned a company that made packs. I’ve carried packs hundreds of miles.
    Very few have impressed me, even the ones we made. Most were ok. Some were “meh” and some were decent.

Is what I’ve been carrying lately and has quickly become my favorite.
    That maine guide pack has caught my eye more than once.

Do you still have connections in the backpack making world? The reason I ask is because I have an idea of what I want for a rifle carrying backpack for events like Mammoth sniper challenge, but its not on the market, at least not how I'd want it.

Top Bottom