• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Heres a few examples of ammo results from 2 of my 22lr. Top target is with my precision 10/22 i built at 50 yards with absolutely perfect conditions. These are 5 shot groups after shooting 5 shot fouling groups.

Bottom target is 30 yards with a cheap Marlin xt22 bolt action. Ignore bottom right target as those were just some fouling shots. These are 10 round groups

Ammo brand written on targets. 2nd target a little harder to read. Sorry for crappy pic there

Every rifle is gonna like its own ammo, but this gives you a few more ideas on what some ammos are capable of.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    3GRNRS1.jpg

That pretty much matches my experience: Avoid Rem. & Fed., stick to plain 'ole (i.e. inexpensive and available) CCI SV.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I beg to differ on the hollow point statement. Much better transfer of the kinetic energy with a HP. My home made SV flat nosed HP will whack the snot out of...

Note my bold point above?

I didn't say hollowpoints don't do anything...I said, more-or-less, that "most hollowpoint designs..." do not do much better than LRN.

I try to take pains to write literally. If you get into segmented (rare-ish), truncated cone HP (rare-ish..only Yellowjacket), or customer-formed hollowpoints, or get into Stinger where the speed is self-fulfilling, then the hollowpoints work.

But as I said, MOST (by volume of loadings) "hollowpoints" in .22LR are merely little dimples in the front, and the .22LR impact speed is not enough to open them more than a LRN.

These aren't academic points. It's LITERALLY what I meant.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Odds are he is taking regular Sv rounds and cutting the round nose off and drilling a cavity. Modifying round nose isn’t very uncommon, I’ve cut X ‘s into the nose of many and hammered rats with them

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Odds are he is taking regular Sv rounds and cutting the round nose off and drilling a cavity. Modifying round nose isn’t very uncommon, I’ve cut X ‘s into the nose of many and hammered rats with them

No. Odds are that I have a tool that removes no lead and reshapes the tip. But winchester powerpoints are not just a dimple on the end. Winny 42 gr subsonic Hp same way. Very adamant THWOPP! when they make contact with squirrel noggin or starling breast. Shoot two squirrels in the head. One with a lead solid and one with a lead HP and compare the damage. There are a few varieties with a harder lead composition that don't expand as much when I modify them, but SK subs, Wolf Match Target, CCI SV, all expand nicely and do much more damage than a lead or copper washed solid. RWS hv hp will turn a squirrel head to mush. Damage approaching the .17 mach2 level of destruction.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No. Odds are that I have a tool that removes no lead and reshapes the tip. But winchester powerpoints are not just a dimple on the end. Winny 42 gr subsonic Hp same way. Very adamant THWOPP! when they make contact with squirrel noggin or starling breast. Shoot two squirrels in the head. One with a lead solid and one with a lead HP and compare the damage. There are a few varieties with a harder lead composition that don't expand as much when I modify them, but SK subs, Wolf Match Target, CCI SV, all expand nicely and do much more damage than a lead or copper washed solid. RWS hv hp will turn a squirrel head to mush. Damage approaching the .17 mach2 level of destruction.

:postpics:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

Ain’t nobody got time for that. I just spend the money and get the Segmented. Ill let the engineers deal with bullet design. Every body they hit sounds like a paper bag exploding and the bodies show the damage. I’d post pics but I’m sure this thread would get shut down immediately

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Can almost guarantee this will not group worth a ****.

Eley subsonic. SK std. If you absolutely must go supersonic then RWS high velocity HP may be the ticket. RWS subs shoot well in some of my .22's as well. Every .22 will have a preference. Buy several brands and test. Only way you'll know for sure.

This right here. Every rifle has its individual preferences. What shoots good in mine may not shoot worth a crap in yours and vice versa.

But for my 2 centavos here are some results that I've gotten recently with my Tikka T1x. This is an average of at least 5 5 shot groups @ 50 yards, also got some 10 shot groups where noted.

Aguila SE SV .45" 2 10 shot groups of .64 and .62
    Aguila SE HV .5" 2 10 shot groups of .7 and .85"
    CCI HP Mininmags .45"
    CCI SV .6" 2 10 shot groups of .5 and .8" About every other 5 shot group I'd get a really bad flyer, no rhyme or reason I can see.
    CCI Blazer .4" 1 10 shoter of .69"
    CCI AR Tac .82" best I've ever had this ammo shoot
    Geco SA .4" 2 10 shoters of .46 and .53
    Fed AE 36 Hps .88"
    Fed 710 1"
    Rem Goldens .75" very inconsistent, a couple of groups were actually really good, but the others
    rolleyes.gif

Win HVHP .9"

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But winchester powerpoints are not just a dimple on the end. Winny 42 gr subsonic Hp same way.

Yes, Winchester HPs actually work like a HP is supposed to. I don't do much small game hunting currently but when I did Winchester Powerpoints were my first choice. They always got the job done, up to and including a few coyotes.

For fairly close range pest removal the Aguila Supermaximum HP and Interceptor HP will do a number on the target. Most .22s probably won't print bragging size groups with them though.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I recently killed about 70 prarie dogs with a Ruger 10/22 and Lapua Match ammo which is not flat shooting at all. Flat shooting is not a requirement and the faster flat shooting ammo you have will likely result in very poor grouping. With that said, some of the most accurate 22 ammo will be under 1200 fps by far. Some stuff that is fast does shoot well in SOME guns.

Top Bottom