• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    While I am an ardent OCer I have recently came upon the need for deep concealment. Because of the nature of circumstances anything around the hips or higher won't work. Smartcarry won't even work. I tried it. So, I've decided on ankle carry. I would prefer a small semi-auto but a .38 snubby is not out of the question.

I would prefer a .45 but again other calibers are out of the question. I'm open to suggestions on gun as well as holster as I don't have one of those either.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I carried a Kel-Tec P3AT in a Galco elastic ankle rig for a couple years while working 3rd shift, and it carried REALLY well. As far as comfort, the thin profile and light weight made it a non-issue.

However, after an incident when the possibility arose that I *might* actually need to use it one day, I lost confidence in the gun itself.

I haven't ankle carried since, but if I did I would probably do so with a S&W Airweight in .38spl.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    The snubby .38 is ideal for ankle carry. For many years (when I was younger and much more flexible) I carried a S&W Airweight Centennial in a Renegade Cozy Partner ankle rig.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    esrice - if you don't mind my asking, was it a problem with the type of gun? The relatively small caliber? Or the ankle rig?

I can see how any of the above could present a weakness that might cause one to want to change tactics.

I personally carry an LCP, but not in an ankle rig - too hard to get to, given my physique! Just curious when I hear people - especially reliable ones having problems with similar setups to mine...

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Try a Colt Pocketlite Mustang if you can find one. If not, look at the new SIG 238. Light and handy if you like cocked and locked.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    esrice - if you don't mind my asking, was it a problem with the type of gun? The relatively small caliber? Or the ankle rig?

This is from this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../20663-have_you_ever_needed_your_handgun.html

esrice said:
    Several years ago I was working the overnight (11pm-7am) shift at a hotel. As I was accustomed at that time, I was carrying a P3AT in an ankle holster.

Around 1-2am, a guy walked in and came right up to me at the front desk. Several things about this person's demeanor, appearance, and attitude immediately set-off my spidey senses. I first noticed that his right hand remained inside his jacket pocket the entire time.

He asked the usual "Do you have a room?". I was suddenly extremely aware that I could not access my ankle-gun in a covert or quick manner. I (lied) told him I thought we had one room left, but that I had to check something to make sure. I then went back into the manager's office, where I could watch him on camera-- I also took the opportunity to unholster my gun and place it in my front pants pocket.

Still having a bad feeling about him, I went back to the front and told him (lied, again) that unfortunately the room wasn't available after all, due to a housekeeping mistake. He was still acting shifty, but he walked back out the front door.

I then immediately went back to the manager's office and locked myself inside. I called 911 and reported the incident and gave them a description of the man and his vehicle. I also called several other local hotels and put them on the lookout as well.

The big lesson learned was that I no longer felt my choice of gun or holster was appropriate for possible future threats.

1) location was a poor choice for a primary handgun
    2) small physical size of gun made it tough to shoot well
    3) smaller caliber + limited capacity didn't sit well with me
    4) reliability for that particular gun later proved less than ideal
    5) gun was not comfortable to shoot, so I didn't practice with it enough

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    s&w+model642+AIRLITE.jpg

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Ankle PPS 9mm

I often use a Fobus ankle rig with my PPS 9mm. The Fobus isn't the right holster for the PPS on the ankle due to the way it sits at a slight angle and makes the weapon print more on the pantleg but the PPS itself is a nice cc piece. I love mine. Good luck!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    symb_subcompact_1.gif
    CALIBER
    .45 AUTO
    SYSTEM
    Safe Action
    symb_subcompact_5.gif
    WEIGHT
    570 g / 20.11 oz.
    LOADED (~)
    765 g / 26.99 oz.
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    symb_subcompact_2.gif
    LENGTH
    172 mm / 6.77 in.
    HEIGHT
    121 mm / 4.76 in.
    symb_subcompact_6.gif
    MAG. CAPACITY
    Standard: 6
    OPTIONAL
    -
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    symb_subcompact_3.gif
    WIDTH
    28.5 mm / 1.13 in.
    BARREL HEIGHT
    32 mm / 1.26 in.
    symb_subcompact_7.gif
    TRIGGER PULL
    2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.
    TRIGGER TRAVEL
    12.5 mm / 0.5 in.
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    gif_1x1_brown.gif
    symb_subcompact_4.gif
    LINE OF SIGHT
    157 mm / 6.18 in.
    BARREL LENGTH
    96 mm / 3.78 in.
    symb_subcompact_8.gif
    BARREL RIFLING
    right hand, octagonal
    LENGTH OF TWIST
    400 mm / 15.75 in.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    AMT .45 Backup with a Renegade Cozy Partner. There is your concealed carry with stopping power.

AMT Backup .45ACP
    Frame: Stainless Steel
    Operation: DAO
    Capacity: 5 +1
    Overall Length: 5.8”
    Height: 4.1”
    Width: 1.00”
    Weight Empty: 24.0 oz
    Weight Fully Loaded 28 oz.

Top Bottom