• What is your favorite AR Caliber?

• Total voters

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    Alright this has been on my mind for awhile now...which AR-15 caliber is your favorite? This doesn't have to necessarily be a caliber you've physically shot, it can be one you've seen shot or you've researched. I just want to know what all you INGO members think. Feel free to provide a reason why said caliber is your favorite. Also if you feel compelled give us your top 3-5.

Welp let's hear it INGO

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like the 6MM X 45 or some call it 6MM / 223. I think it has better bullets than the 22 for killing things up to deer size. I am one of the people that don't think a 22 is good enough for deer. Yes I know that deer can and are killed with them. Thank god it isn't allowed in this state.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This thread would be more interesting if you excluded 223 from the list of possible candidates. Also, I'm not aware of any AR-15 that you can shoot 308/7.62x51 NATO ammo through w/o blowing it up. That would be an AR-10. ;)

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    5.56 - the only caliber that I have consistently seen work in the gun - available ammunition and cheap/reliable magazines.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    .458 Socom of course is the best chamber in an AR-15. works well on everything. Sometimes it is appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This thread would be more interesting if you excluded 223 from the list of possible candidates. Also, I'm not aware of any AR-15 that you can shoot 308/7.62x51 NATO ammo through w/o blowing it up. That would be an AR-10. ;)
    Agreed on both points.

Remove the 223/5.56 round because probably 99% of the AR shooters only have experience with that round and no other.

Also I chuckle every time I see someone wanting to include the 308 into an AR15 discussion. Not gonna work.

5.56 - the only caliber that I have consistently seen work in the gun - available ammunition and cheap/reliable magazines.
    How many different calibers have you tried. Many of the calibers listed were developed specifically for the AR15 and function reliably. Further, many actually use stock 5.56 NATO magazines.

.458 Socom of course is the best chamber in an AR-15. works well on everything. Sometimes it is appropriate to kill a fly with a sledgehammer!
    Got to love the big 458 Socom. While not my very favorite round, its probably my second favorite. Great for stopping charging watermelons that try to break free from the pack, planning to take one wild boar hunting this coming spring. Along with a 6.5 Grendel or two. :yesway:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I agree, take 5.56 off the list.

Having fired 5.56, 458 socom, 450 bushmaster and 300 blackout all in AR platforms, it is honestly hard to compare. It really depends on your intended purpose. Plinking, hunting, suppressed, etc. Then we can compare. Personally, I'll take 5.56 or 300 blackout in most of those cases

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Voting on "AR" not "AR15"

After reading the posts I looked at the parameters on what we were voting on. It said AR not AR15, which I would think would include AR10.
    With this on mind, is the Noreen "Bad News" considered an "AR" platform? It is my understanding it uses "AR" drop in triggers, etc. And can be ordered in .300 win mag, .338 Lapua, etc.
    Interested in the opinions here.
    Jetman

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    After reading the posts I looked at the parameters on what we were voting on. It said AR not AR15, which I would think would include AR10.

Apparently reading comprehension is your weak point :dunno:

The very first sentence of the OP specifically stated AR-15 calibers :ar15:

SEE HERE =>
    Alright this has been on my mind for awhile now...which AR-15 caliber is your favorite?

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Again, while I own , have built and currently shoot 5.56, 5.7*28, 9mm, .45acp, 300 blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8spc .458 socom I have to say my Favorite is the .458 by far! It IS great for killing charging watermelons and it make s a cool sound when shot(something like "cha - ching) I have found NO issues with reliablity of feed or eject in anything that has been built well. 5.56 is kinda boring at this point and way less costly to shoot. My least favorite would have to be one of the 7.62*39 or 5.45*39. maybe that turd .450 bushy too!

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    No. My reading comp is fine. If you look at the actual box where you vote it states "AR" not AR15. Yes, it was an inconsistency with the original poster, but the actual voting box states only"AR".
    And if you want to get picky, you could say that you could only choose from rifles that are designed as the original that Mr. Stoner designed, which would exclude those with piston uppers.
    Jetman

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    No. My reading comp is fine. If you look at the actual box where you vote it states "AR" not AR15. Yes, it was an inconsistency with the original poster, but the actual voting box states only"AR".
    And if you want to get picky, you could say that you could only choose from rifles that are designed as the original that Mr. Stoner designed, which would exclude those with piston uppers.
    Jetman

Dude, anything can be 'justified' if you try hard enough.

Using your logic we should exclude the 16" AR too, Stoner designed the full length rifle action. And again using your logic we need to eliminate all the calibers except 5.56.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    Well apparently I wasn't consistent in my posting of the poll and my initial message. I didn't think there would be that many sticklers, however, I have been wrong in the past. The poll is...which AR caliber is your favorite. I realize that I misspoke with my first post and I apologize for that but can we move past 1 grammatical/spelling mistake and just talk about the thread and poll? Also, as far as removing .223/5.56 from the poll...if I did then what would anyone vote for? if anything at all? I want to hear from you INGO members out there who have shot different AR calibers and see which one is your favorite. If you happen to be part of the "Other" category, please elaborate on which caliber it is you prefer that wasn't on the list. This poll is just for fun to see what caliber INGO members are finding most enjoyable. I hope to hear more from INGO members about their favorite caliber, rather then my grammatical/spelling faux pas.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There are many interesting cartridges for which you can chamber an AR-15. The 223/5.56 is not one of them. :)

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I like my 300 blackout. Just built an ar15 with one recently and got to try it out. I enjoy it immensely. Very accurate and a larger round than my 5.56 when I had it. Little pricy on ammo, but I will be reloading it soon so that should hopefully offset the cost some.

Top Bottom