Favorite backpacking/outdoor gear store in Indianapolis Area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Hi All,
    With REI coming opening in town (in Castelton March 16th), I was wondering what your favorite stores were for backpacking/hiking and outdoor gear.

REI is just about my favorite place to go waste time and spend too much money, so I am very excited about it coming to Indy, but I would also like to know what else is out there.

Thanks.

REI Store

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yeah, I bought my first Dana Designs Terraplane and my first pair of Scarpa boots at Sitzmark. Sorry that place didn't make it; it'd be jammed now if it were still open. Back when the exchange rate was killer it used to be worth it to drive across the border from Detroit into Windsor and go to Mountain Equipment Coop. You could buy stuff at a 35% discount based on exchange rate, and then get back all your Canadian taxes by sending in your receipts to the Canadian government. When I was buying high end mountaineering equipment, it was the way to go. Then I worked for Galyan's on weekends for a year or two and I could order directly from the manufacturers all the stuff that Galyan's didn't actually carry - that was nice, too.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    +1 for Nurpu. Kevin the owner is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I look forward to REI opening. Their coming is long overdue and a great addition to central Indiana.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Rusted Moon and JL waters, despite the yuppy rumour both stores are staffed by people who actually do the activities they sell equipment for. Rusted Moon is a locally owned store , the owners are in there almost daily and everything they sell is high quality. So if you don't have time to research what your looking for you cant go wrong with anything you buy at either store. If you do the research you will find that both stores already caryy what you want or can promptly order it for you. I have climbed, skied, hiked or paddled with almost everyone at Rusted Moon at some point in the last 20 years.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    if you're going to shop REI, get the membership (small fee); you normally get a 10% year-end dividend. I've been a member since 1972, and it paid for itself, several times over ---- Greg

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    if you're going to shop REI, get the membership (small fee); you normally get a 10% year-end dividend. I've been a member since 1972, and it paid for itself, several times over ---- Greg

Definitely Agree. I have saved a ton of money at the members only Used gear sales they have a few times a year. Just get ready to wake up early for them, people used to line up around the block for them.

Also, they stand by their members/products and will take returns for the life of the product no questions asked.

Hopefully gas doesn't get much higher so I can make it out to Castleton often!

Top Bottom