Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My favorite drill is what we (ACT) call the "Henk Drill," which he used as the test for passing his course at the time I was in his class. He actually got the drill from John Farnam who used it as well (and still might), but the Farnam version has more restrictions (like no more than four shots fired without moving).

Target is either a playing card or a 3x5" index card (for rifle), glued to a backer target. All shots have to be inside the border of the target. Unlike other scoring systems, if it breaks the line, it misses (which is why I didn't pass the test in his carbine class).

Distance is 7 yards (I think) for pistol.

Par times varied by the type of class, but when I do it now, I just do it as quickly as I can without a timer. I think I did it in about 14 seconds when I passed it for Henk's handgun class.

Chamber is loaded. Magazine has six rounds plus a dummy placed in the magazine by someone else, but it can't be the top or bottom round. Spare magazine on belt is loaded.

At the start, move of off of the line of force until you you're on target, then shoot until your gun malfunctions (due to the dummy). While moving, correct the malfunctions with whack,rack,back (aka tap-rack-bang or tap-rack-resume).

When the malfunction is reduced, continue to engage the target until you run empty. While moving, reload, then engage the target with 3 more rounds.

Time stops on last shot fired if you use a timer, but shooter must scan afterward and can take about as much time as they want. After scan, reload, holster, drill over.

Drill takes 10 rounds, so you can do it five times with one box of ammo.

The distance was 10 yards.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This.

My favorite drill is what we (ACT) call the "Henk Drill," which he used as the test for passing his course at the time I was in his class. He actually got the drill from John Farnam who used it as well (and still might), but the Farnam version has more restrictions (like no more than four shots fired without moving).

Target is either a playing card or a 3x5" index card (for rifle), glued to a backer target. All shots have to be inside the border of the target. Unlike other scoring systems, if it breaks the line, it misses (which is why I didn't pass the test in his carbine class).

Par times varied by the type of class, but when I do it now, I just do it as quickly as I can without a timer. I think I did it in about 14 seconds when I passed it for Henk's handgun class.

Chamber is loaded. Magazine has six rounds plus a dummy placed in the magazine by someone else, but it can't be the top or bottom round. Spare magazine on belt is loaded.

At the start, move of off of the line of force until you you're on target, then shoot until your gun malfunctions (due to the dummy). While moving, correct the malfunctions with whack,rack,back (aka tap-rack-bang or tap-rack-resume).

When the malfunction is reduced, continue to engage the target until you run empty. While moving, reload, then engage the target with 3 more rounds.

Time stops on last shot fired if you use a timer, but shooter must scan afterward and can take about as much time as they want. After scan, reload, holster, drill over.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I didn't know Iverson used that drill too. Very similar to Tom's 3M drill.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well you aren't alone. As a matter of fact, if someone told me they could do that I would immediately dismiss the claim as BS until put on a timer.

Human observation makes a poor shot timer.

I'm usually pretty reliably in the A zone on .08 splits.

We're talking minutes, right?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmm... that seems like the kind of drill that could make clearing a malfunction almost automatic. :)

It's almost if that were part of the intent!

The distance was 10 yards.

Holy crap! How the hell did we hit playing cards at 10 yards with that crazy South African yelling at us (and her husband too)?

Do you remember the time limits?

I didn't know Iverson used that drill too. Very similar to Tom's 3M drill.

It is originally John Farnam's drill/test. Much of Henk's curriculum in those days was very much like Farnam's (for good reason).

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think 18 seconds for citizens and 14 for LEO. Not sure.

I only hit the card 9 times. A proverbial hair off on the tenth. Being yelled at is normal for me, and normally it is not someone a good looking as Karen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I only hit the card 9 times. A proverbial hair off on the tenth. Being yelled at is normal for me, and normally it is not someone a good looking as Karen.

Thank you, sir! I appreciate the benefit of your youthful memory!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

One round on the line with both guns for me. I was disappointed in myself. Tough couple of days for an old fatman.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    My favorite drill is a modified version of the Mozambique:
    (Using a IDPA target or human silhouette target)
    I use 4 mags, each with only three rounds.
    AT the beep: Two in the chest/center of mass, one to the head.
    Drop the mag, reload and repeat until all four mags are empty.

Very quick drill, uses a lot of hand/eye but not much ammo.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So how many of the fairly known drills would be Friday Night steel compatible? Possibly with minimal alteration? That would make for a fun theme some time.

Top Bottom