• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    . The Cross Breed only uses 1 layer of leather, while the new MTAC IWB you show has multiple layers for more comfort.

There is an MTAC with only one layer of leather, it's called a Minotaur Spartan. I just bought an MTAC (regular, not Spartan) a few weeks ago and I've been extremely pleased with it so far.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Which do you guys prefer clip or straps?

I prefer J hooks. It makes taking the holster off quite easy. I've often had to remove the pistol because I was going into the courthouse or some other place with security and you're not allowed to carry. It's also quite easy to put it on, just slide it down into your pants and pull your belt over the J hooks and you're done.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I prefer J hooks. It makes taking the holster off quite easy. I've often had to remove the pistol because I was going into the courthouse or some other place with security and you're not allowed to carry. It's also quite easy to put it on, just slide it down into your pants and pull your belt over the J hooks and you're done.

I don't like the J hooks very much because all the weight is on your pants waistband instead of on the belt. I prefer either standard clips or Comp-Tac's C-clips.

I'm not even sure you can still get J hooks from Comp-Tac, now that I think about it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't like the J hooks very much because all the weight is on your pants waistband instead of on the belt.
    That is a valid point but I think it also depends on the style of holster used as to how much of the weight actually rests on the hooks versus the belt. With holsters like the CrossBreed and some other designs that have a large leather bearing surface that rests against your skin/undergarments then there is a lot of lateral pressure that is exerted between the body and the waistband such that the gun doesn't solely rely on hanging on the belt/waistband. So I think you make an excellent point and one that is very worthy of consideration, but with some holsters it is far less of a problem than with other holster designs.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    That is a valid point but I think it also depends on the style of holster used as to how much of the weight actually rests on the hooks versus the belt. With holsters like the CrossBreed and some other designs that have a large leather bearing surface that rests against your skin/undergarments then there is a lot of lateral pressure that is exerted between the body and the waistband such that the gun doesn't solely rely on hanging on the belt/waistband. So I think you make an excellent point and one that is very worthy of consideration, but with some holsters it is far less of a problem than with other holster designs.
    Exactly. The top of the pants only act as an index to align the holster horizontally. The weight is carried by the friction between the holster, your skin and the tension of the belt (which increases the friction). It's not like the holster pulls your pants down, or even crushes the top of your pants.

In other words, it's a non-issue with the MTAC. The ease by which you can insert and remove the J hooks is why they are so useful for me.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I prefer the hooks on the front. They're much easier to unhook than the ones on the back.

Oh you're talking about holsters!! Well I have always used the standard belt clips myself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The upside of clips (in general) is that they make the holster very stable on your belt, so your draw/presentation can be more consistent. The down sides are, the break too easily (I've broken MANY), and they can slide off of your belt too easily (more so with some designs than others).

Straps are less convenient, but they don't break as easily. The down side is that even if they are sized perfectly for your belt, they allow the holster to move a little, again, some designs more than others.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Does the Versa Max II have any way to adjust tension on the gun, or are you just stuck with how it fits and how it stretches over time?

As TomN said, you're kinda stuck with how it is. If it too tight, you can loosen it up, however, if it is too loose, you can't tighten it back up. Kind of like a ... nevermind.

My first VMII was pretty tight. I have been know to be impatient so to loosen it up I holstered the pistol wrapped in a plastic bag and left it there for 24 hours. After that it was much better.

My second one came perfect and has maintained 1G so far. If I turn it upside down, the pistol will not fall, but if I shake it gently, it will drop.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    I ordered a set of "J" hooks which have velcro attached to them. Then you install the mating part to the inner side of your belt. They still don't support as well as the "C" clip.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I'm searching for a holster, just not sure what to go with. I don't want to spend a good amount of money on something, and then it not fit me or fit right.

Any suggestions for an IWB holster for a G19, that might also fit a G26?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm searching for a holster, just not sure what to go with. I don't want to spend a good amount of money on something, and then it not fit me or fit right.

Any suggestions for an IWB holster for a G19, that might also fit a G26?

The above-mentioned Minotaur MTAC is not the cheapest, but very comfortable. The body is interchangeable, and you can also get a "slide" body, allowing you to use the same body for similar guns that have different barrel lengths. I believe spare bodies for other models are $35.

Broke&Broken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have started making my own leather. The ones that I like the most are made similar to the VMII and I also made a few similar to the Andrew's McDaniel II but with a second loop on the front to keep it in place better. You cannot go wrong with the Milt Sparks VMII they are an excellent holster.

There are ways to make a leather holster tighter. But I would not recommend it on a good holster unless you know what your doing or don't mind possibly ruining the finish or the holster. Just don't put any kind of conditioner or oils on a leather holster or it will soften up and lose its shape and retention.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I just got my MTAC today, and so far I like it. I'll try to post up some pictures later tonight after I get off of work.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i think it should be pointed out, in any holster discussion, that no one holster is perfect for everyone. as we can read here, everyone has their own opinion. if you're honest with yourself, all of us, you will find that your holster collection will likely fill a fridge box. for me, the only way i can tell if a holster works is to wear it for an extended length of time. what if you start wearing a holster and for even weeks it seems perfect. but then replace your fatman chair, or your vehicle or whatever, and now the pistol digs into you side or some other little thing goes wrong. over the decades my "perfect" carry holster has changed more times than i can easily count. currently, i'm using raven concealment holsters. for all i'm involved in right now, the system is easily concealed, comfortable and retains my gear as well as any i've used. but that could change tomorrow....

just some thoughts on holster selection.

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    +1 on the Raven Concealment. Have one for my High Powers and it is more comfortable than my leather IWB. The Crossbreed looks promising due to it's big patch of leather between the top of the gun and the body. That's the problem with any IWB that doesn't have an extension above the rear of the slide. Safety levers, hammers and lots of edges can hurt in some positions. Yeah, I knw, Glocks don't have safetys amd hammers. Some of us are just old-fashoned.

Top Bottom