Favorite load for TC Encore muzzle loader?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I just picked up a used TC encore with a 50-209 barrel on it. All of my muzzle loading to this point involves a patched round ball for my side lock. So, what is your favorite load for a modern inline? I'd prefer to stick to real black powder, but I'm open to suggestions.

D

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Two 50 grain pellets of 777 pushing a T/C Shockwave bullet that uses a T/C Superglide sabot. I've tried a few different sabots, but my Encore has a very tight barrel and being what some may consider a large guy had a heck of a time loading it after the first shot. The Superglides fix that issue.

Results = never had a deer go further than 25 feet before dropping dead (and that was just one, the rest died in their tracks).

Accuracy = tack driver! I can have the bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards if I keep my caffeine consumption in check when at the range.

I almost forgot to say that I use the 777 209's and boy does that cut down on the infamous crud ring.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Two 50 grain pellets of 777 pushing a T/C Shockwave bullet that uses a T/C Superglide sabot. I've tried a few different sabots, but my Encore has a very tight barrel and being what some may consider a large guy had a heck of a time loading it after the first shot. The Superglides fix that issue.

Results = never had a deer go further than 25 feet before dropping dead (and that was just one, the rest died in their tracks).

Accuracy = tack driver! I can have the bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards if I keep my caffeine consumption in check when at the range.

I almost forgot to say that I use the 777 209's and boy does that cut down on the infamous crud ring.

^^^that with the exception of switching to 90 grains loose powder 777 FFG. shoots well out of my triumph too.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Just getting started with this as well. I have the standard barrel, standard breech plug and I shoot a Hornady 45 caliber sabot with a Hornady 250gr FTX in it on top of 3 50/50 777 pellets. Good for 2100fps. My rifle is not scoped YET but this will shoot into 2" @ 100 with open sights. Plenty good enough for deer. After season this year, and Christmas, I will be installing an Omega scope on this and the wife's T/C Encore Pro Hunter Endeavor.

She shoots 2 Magnum 777 pellets under the same bullet as I do. Didn't chronograph that one yet. She can shoot that load into 1" @ 50 yards all day long with open sights. Again, plenty good enough for deer.

From all I have read, both from books and the Internet, 90-150gr with 250gr sabots is about standard. It will all depend on you and your rifle. At least that is what I am seeing.

If a higher BC bullet can be used, use it, it will help. I am thinking of looking into the whole .358" double sabot loads.

FWIW

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Standard 209 primer, or 777 209 primer?

WLW posted that they use the 777 209. Does it make a lot of difference? Obviously, its a different component, so there will be some change, but is it like switching from CCI to Winchester primers in metallic cartridges (noticeable, but minimal), or is it like switching from blackpowder to smokeless in cased ammunition (huge difference in performance)?

Thanks for all the info.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    2 pellets of triple seven and just about any sabot or powerbelt work pretty good in mine. I have an encore 209x50 with the ez-tip extractor. I hate it, and if it didn't allow me extra weeks to hunt each year I'd gladly sell it off and be done with muzzleloading. It's accurate, and a nice gun, but I hate cleaning it and I hate to see how corrosive it can get just from the time it takes to drive home from the range.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    WLW posted that they use the 777 209. Does it make a lot of difference? Obviously, its a different component, so there will be some change, but is it like switching from CCI to Winchester primers in metallic cartridges (noticeable, but minimal), or is it like switching from blackpowder to smokeless in cased ammunition (huge difference in performance)?

Thanks for all the info.

It does make a difference... 209 primers are actually too hot to ignite the typical powders used today. The powder manufactures know this and that's why they partnered with Olin, Remington UMC and (there maybe a third manufacturer that I'm missing) to reduce the power of the 209 primer. The reduced power reduces the amount of residue (aka, crud) that is left as a visible ring in your barrel that can make your next load hard to seat. Also, when cleaning the barrel you'll find that the ring is the last to come clean when swabbing the barrel. You'll see the ring where the powder meets the base of the bullet or sabot (probably where the gas is at its hottest point and powder residue is being liquified).

I use to use standard 209's with Pyrodex, 777 and Whitehots and had the same crud ring no matter the powder. I switched to Winchester 777 209 primers and the ring is barely visible and I can go a lot longer between barrel swabs when reloading at the range.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Standard 209 too hot

I had heard that when they came out, and saw that several folks came up with "scaled back" solutions (the .25 ACP ignition system, as an example). I was thinking it was all an accuracy thing, I didn't think about the cleaning/barrel fowling thing.

Thanks for the info, I'll need to pick up some 777 209 primers.

D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    both my encore and prohunter hate 250gr bullets. my prohunter prefers the hornady 300gr bullets. my encore prefers the 300gr shockwave. the encore is my fathers and they are close enough that either bullet we find we buy and both shoot the same thing.

obviously we have to re sightin

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks for all the info; now I have an idea of what to start with. That said, has anyone tried using a plain cast bullet for an inline muzzleloader? I know that Lyman makes the "great plains" and the "maxi ball" and "maxi hunter", and Lee has the "R.E.A.L" bullets. Has anyone had any success with these, or are inline muzzleloaders a strictly saboted projectile or powerbelt affair?

D

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    2 pellets of triple seven and just about any sabot or powerbelt work pretty good in mine. I have an encore 209x50 with the ez-tip extractor. I hate it, and if it didn't allow me extra weeks to hunt each year I'd gladly sell it off and be done with muzzleloading. It's accurate, and a nice gun, but I hate cleaning it and I hate to see how corrosive it can get just from the time it takes to drive home from the range.

Savage MLII is your friend. I love mine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Savage MLII is your friend. I love mine.

I actually bought one and owned it for a couple months and had to sell it. I never did get out and fire it, and it's the only gun I ever bought and sold without firing. I just didn't want to take all the time to develop a load for a rifle that I new I wasn't going to be using for fun at the range and at best I'd only get to use it a couple weekends a year and that's if I didn't already get a deer.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My TC Triumph like 110 grains of loose pyrodex and a 250 grain XTP. But for hunting, it gets two 777 pellets for 100 grains due to the convenience factor.

Top Bottom