• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Sitting on the work table is what will probably be the ultimate "deer rifle" that I will own.
    Kinda cogitating on just how steam punk the scope is going to be.

It began life as a TC Renegade which is just about the best modern era reincarnation analog to the jaeger concept.
    Because the barrel was fifty caliber and of the rifling geometry and 48" twist that TC most commonly put in their barrels, it's easy to rebore it to a .52 bore suitable to paper patching the readily available off the shelf molds. That way a 2nd hand TC muzzleloader becomes a 50-110 and an overdose of whomp for any critter this side of a D-9 Cat. It's gonna be way more accurate than my aging eyes hence the scope. Will use a pistol scope to get it mid way down the barrel and away from maintenance cleaning. Does anybody put elevation mark reticles in their pistol scopes... gonna look into that.

This mold is one of them to try out patched and then sized to .519.
    XVcl34F.jpg

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    When I used to have a ML, I loaded 100gr of Pyrodex pellets and a 250gr Power Belt. I used it in PA with open sights. It was a solid 3" combo at 100 yards from a kneeling/sitting firing position. I could get it down to 2" on a bench. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to use it on deer, but I bet it would work excellent. I am thinking about picking up something else in the next year again and seriously considering a T/C of some flavor.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Does anybody put elevation mark reticles in their pistol scopes..

If you're going for ultimate, call Leupold Custom after you settle on a load and get good zeroes. They'll use your data to make any reticle you want.

Also, if that barrel doesn't print the way you want, don't forget about Colerain, Rice, and even Green Mountain.

Mean tubes.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Ive been killing deer with 100 grains of pyrodex behind 235 grain 45 caliber Hornady XTPs saboted in a 50 cal ML for years. Swear by their terminal performance. Perhaps you need to work on your shot placement?
    I'll admit my results are based on one shot, a doe at 25 yds. the shot was a broad side double lung. There was a small amount of blood for about 30 yds. and then nothing. My load was the same as yours. I think after shooting for close to 65 years I know were my shots are going. Thanks to all who have replied with positive comments.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Barnes expander is more than impressive. I used to launch 325 grain out of my .54 knight, now shoot 250 grain over 100 grain of loose 777 out of .50 omega.

WARNING: You will loose some meat around entrance and exit hole. Bullet will turn a whole front quArter into a coagulated, bruised, pile of pulp.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    110gr 2Fg real BP under and .54 RB and a percussion cap. Dead on at 150, still in kill zone at 200. Oh this is in a real muzzleloader with iron sights.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you're going for ultimate, call Leupold Custom after you settle on a load and get good zeroes. They'll use your data to make any reticle you want.

Also, if that barrel doesn't print the way you want, don't forget about Colerain, Rice, and even Green Mountain.

Mean tubes.

Wonder what an old TC 2.5X w duplex.........the bottom wire's point translates to.............

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    All that stands between you and knowing the answer is about 3 shots.

Go get it.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All that stands between you and knowing the answer is about 3 shots.

Go get it.

-Nate

My TC Hawken Silver Elite is disassembled/stored.

My buddy has the TC 2.5X scope and mount (had it on a TC Cougar).

With the question on the thread it had me wondering.
    Do know I use the lower point of the duplex on my .22 lr Ruger 8" (Leupold 2x) as an aiming point when shooting clays on the 100 yard bank.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup it's MZ season.
    My tolerance for BP is pretty much gone.
    I'll be hunting recurve til end of season.

Got no prob with scopes on trad style MZ..........but think there's a magnification that proly allows for the duplex to work, no special reticle needed.
    Just kinda asked out loud what folks might have found that to be.
    2X on my .22 lr pistol.........might have more drop. So I wondered about 2.5X.
    TC made 3X and 4X EER.............2-7X as well.
    Rail models that took the rear sight mount.

Maybe somebody had such a setup back in the day.

Top Bottom