• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I didn't have a lot of time to play with my trail cameras this past weekend but I did have a chance to check my home Cuddelink cam which has two other cameras daisy chained to it. The cameras have been out for a month with about 3600 combined photos taken and so far the batteries are still good. One month in I have the following list of pros and cons:

Cons:
    Battery placement and access
    - The battery compartment is at the back of the camera and requires a Phillips screwdriver to open the compartment.
    Memory card and control panel access- The access latch seems fairly secure but opens from the top and hinges down, which looks like it could be more prone to allowing moisture to flow into the interior. If I weren't using Cuddesafes to house the cameras I would definitely plan on putting a strip of electrical tape along the top edge of the seam.
    Battery life- Seems decent so far, probably 6-8 weeks based on usage so far but far short of the 12-16 week run time of early models. Also uses 4 extra AA batteries per camera. Compatible solar panels with rechargeable batteries are available but make the rig a lot more visible than I prefer. An upgraded battery pack that uses D batteries and extends run time is available but is not compatible with Cuddesafes.
    Security- Cuddesafes are becoming available for the new Cuddelink cams but that is the only option for securing cameras at this point. The locking tabs that work with other Cuddeback cameras will not work with Cuddelinks.

Pros:
    Cuddelink system- I haven't fully tested it out yet but so far I'm very impressed. IMO, the ability to check up to 16 cameras by either checking one home camera or having the home camera text photos to you is a huge game changer.
    Interface- The interface is basically the same as previous models with a few different menu options for the Cuddelink system. Basically, operation is straight forward and intuitive.
    Photo quality- Photo quality is very good and you have the choice of saving 20 MB or 5 MB photos.
    IR flash- The IR flash is very strong and you have the option to program the strength of the flash for either close or long range. Based on my testing, the close range setting is acceptable for most situations, the exception being a wide open area where deer are not likely to be close to the camera.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We picked up a Stealth G42NG per Mom45's recco last year. My son was using all late summer and really got the hang of using it and got some great pics of all kinds of critters. He ended up placing it in front of his stand. Remember the wacky weather IIRC opening weekend for firearms... The creek flooded and when he placed his cam in front of his stand he was standing in a bit of low spot. Well... After the flood we went to get the cam and it had been under water.

May try a 2 pack of the XS14. Could it be a low cost model due it not being on Stealthcams website?

:ingo:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The first set of batteries finally died in my Cuddelink cameras. They were good for about 54 days and 3800 photos. Not too bad at all but not in the same ballpark as the E model Cuddebacks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The first set of batteries finally died in my Cuddelink cameras. They were good for about 54 days and 3800 photos. Not too bad at all but not in the same ballpark as the E model Cuddebacks.

I find that I get several months out of the Lithium batteries in my Stealth cams. The cameras that are near where I feed the deer sometimes have 1200 or more pictures a day.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, I could get 6 months on the older Cuddeback models but they were only taking photos/videos and not transmitting and receiving images via radio signal which uses a lot more battery.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yes, I could get 6 months on the older Cuddeback models but they were only taking photos/videos and not transmitting and receiving images via radio signal which uses a lot more battery.

Ahh...that makes sense. Mine aren't that fancy :):

Top Bottom