• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They'll move if priced right. I saw a nice nickel slide G23 for sale this weekend for $360. I'd have bought it on the spot except a buddy that was there with me beat me to it. Demand is down for the .40s right now and should be reflected in both trade in and selling prices. If you price a used G23 the same as a G19, it will most likely just sit there.

Based on your post and what your buddy paid, they are priced right. This is a very good time to buy handguns. Unfortunately I see more Highpoints, KelTec, Sccy leave the shop then quality used Glocks and Sigs.

It was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up (sorry 88) :):

$385 out the door (with taxes) was hard to refuse and even after adding TruGlo TFX Pro night sights I still didn't spend a great deal. Thankfully I already had a old G19 holster hanging around that has been put back into use. Picked up 4 spare mags, some carry ammo and a case of .40 I found on sale, so I'm good to go.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    This is pretty surprising. I would thing that this has to be just for some legacy stuff. That being said, it's probably not a bad idea to keep proposals open, etc...helps drive competition and innovation.

FWIW, the FBI moved from the Speer 147gr Gold-Dots to the Speer G2 round, also an 147 gr round, but built by Speer specifically for the FBI. The first batch was a dud no-go due to over penetration, but the last two lots that I've tested into 10% Gel, have performed to spec.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Most federal agencies piggyback off the FBI's numerous contracts that are open at any given time for a whole host of calibers. Guaranteed they have .45, 10mm, .223, .308, .380, etc., etc., etc contracts. Many times they have several companies approved for the same caliber as one company may be able to deliver quicker than another at any given time due to supply/demand. Agents are permitted different types of back-ups and off-duty weapons and are generally not allowed to purchase their own ammo for them--it has to be issued. That contributes to the different calibers.

The contracts are awarded open like that because that allows them to buy what they need when they need it. They don't have to be nailed down to a set limit of how much they can buy. Maybe they get approval to train more, have more academy classes, etc. This will mean more ammo required. If they were limited to 500,000 rounds or something like that, then they could get into a situation where they've got a new academy class but no ability to purchase ammo for them. Plus this way, each FBI office can place an order with Hornady for their specific needs. Trying to coordinate every single office and department to place one order with Hornady and have that order broken up and shipped 100 different places would be ridiculous.

Top Bottom