• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The FBI (?) has record of the bullet markings that came out of my factory bbl. What happens if I put in a LWD, KKM, SL, etc... bbl in its place? Do bbl makers also fire sample shots and record who they are sent to?

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The FBI (?) has record of the bullet markings that came out of my factory bbl. What happens if I put in a LWD, KKM, SL, etc... bbl in its place?

Nothing.

Do bbl makers also fire sample shots and record who they are sent to?

No.

What makes you think the FBI has this information?

I also wonder this. What is used in a federally investigated crime?

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Voire dire question, who is telling you this?
    A few people told me the 2 test shots fired by Glock were sent to feds. I believed it since more than one person told me the same thing. Never cared enough to look into it myself. I take it those test shots are just to make sure the gun works then, which is what I thought beforehand.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Are you talking about the spent shell casing that comes with some new guns?

I think that was some kind of case ID datebase crud out of N.Y.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you talking about the spent shell casing that comes with some new guns?

I think that was some kind of case ID datebase crud out of N.Y.
    Yeah, the two spent cases. The envelope has a stamp with the date, employee, FFL #, rifling description, and a couple other lines of info.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, the two spent cases. The envelope has a stamp with the date, employee, FFL #, rifling description, and a couple other lines of info.

There are a precious few states that require those spent casings be sent to the State Police (Perhaps NJ and MA are two of those states?). If you buy a gun NIB from an FFL in those states - you don't get possession of the fired casing.

If YOU have the casings - then no one else does. Think about it.

And as far as changing the barrel, FP/striker, extractor, ejector, slide, etc... Changing any one or any combination of components WILL change the physical characteristics of both bullet and casing as the weapon is fired.

-J-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A few people told me the 2 test shots fired by Glock were sent to feds.
    Ah, ok, the gun culture belief that we are a unitary government. Got it now. I.e., in the gun culture every governmental action is "the feds".

Ok, what you are seeing is mandated by the states of New York and Maryland, ballistic fingerprinting, circa 2000. It is an enormous white elephant for those states, taking millions of dollars to document and has not assisted a single criminal prosecution.

The New York law (COBIS) was such a disaster that earlier this spring (March 2012) New York state defunded the program. Maryland, in Kafkaesque manner, plunges along denying that it is burning millions of tax dollars despite the lack effectiveness.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    EDIT........ beaten again. :xmad: /\

:D

That is some kind of tracking info..... I believe New York and Maryland require
    them to be sent into the state police when a new gun is sold to be put into a database or some such nonsense. I would be surprised if Commiefornia did not also require it.

It's not ballistics. Case marking, firing pin strike. Useless nonsense someone
    told a nanny state lawmaker about "This will help solve crimes!" to get them
    to buy the equipment to track this kind of stuff. Real world? Probably not
    1 crime ever solved with this system. Millions of the publics tax dollars spent
    on liberal feel good politics.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I always thought that was stupid/funny. All kinds of weapons have easily changeable barrels but the serno is on the frame. Government kind of logic I guess.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are a precious few states that require those spent casings be sent to the State Police (Perhaps NJ and MA are two of those states?). If you buy a gun NIB from an FFL in those states - you don't get possession of the fired casing.

If YOU have the casings - then no one else does. Think about it.

And as far as changing the barrel, FP/striker, extractor, ejector, slide, etc... Changing any one or any combination of components WILL change the physical characteristics of both bullet and casing as the weapon is fired.

-J-
    Ok. This is making sense.
    I didn't think the casings were useful for anything except determining gun caliber, or maybe matching powder residue if anybody has/uses that technology. I thought the bullets were recovered and saved for govt records of some kind.

*edit after reading more posts I missed*
    I was told FBI, hence "the feds" in my posts. So the only bullets the govt (any level) keeps record of are ones used in crimes. I was feeling a little :tinfoil: if anyone was tracking the markings of every NIB gun.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Honestly those casings aren't always yours, either. I've heard, (I know, I know; I don't have a source or documentation, and I can't remember the manufacturer,) that people have bought guns before that did not have a chamber cut out of the barrel....but that came with fired casings.

Just what I've heard.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Honestly those casings aren't always yours, either. I've heard, (I know, I know; I don't have a source or documentation, and I can't remember the manufacturer,) that people have bought guns before that did not have a chamber cut out of the barrel....but that came with fired casings.

Just what I've heard.

I'm not surprised. There also seems to be some evidence to suggest that "ballistic fingerprinting" by firing bullets through a barrel and comparing them to others supposedly fired through the same barrel is illegitimate in that it not possible to isolate it to a single firearm.

"Forensic science" is anything but science and yet this crap passes for "evidence" when many of these people have no idea what they're doing.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if gun manufacturers, knowing this, didn't even take this seriously.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I'm pretty sure this is how it is, I saw it on the internet. In Commiefornia they require you to keep the case and send your gun to the police. If they determine you have need of a gun to protect yourself, they will have the officers use your gun to save you. The case is so they can determine if they used the correct gun in such an event. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Unpossible. They are the light and the way forward. We are just bitter clingers.

I don't see any resemblance with us, with the possible exception of appreciating a nice old Garand.

corporal-klinger.jpg

klinger.jpeg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I always thought that was stupid/funny. All kinds of weapons have easily changeable barrels but the serno is on the frame. Government kind of logic I guess.

Be glad! If the S/N was on the barrel / upper / other changeable part then you'd have to jump through the hoops for every S/N'ed part you change out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Be glad! If the S/N was on the barrel / upper / other changeable part then you'd have to jump through the hoops for every S/N'ed part you change out.

There are PLENTY of "other parts" that are also serial numbered on many firearms. Some of the parts have the full SN, some just have a partial SN. These other parts being serialed currently doesn't cause anyone any grief with replacing them.

-J-

Top Bottom