• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    curious: would that remove the ability to still ask questions openly during a jury screening or can you have it both ways (questionnaire and open jury selection questioning)?

The procedure that I have used in about 8 trials that were subject to media coverage was that a special questionnaire directed specifically to inquiring about media exposure regarding the defendant or any prior knowledge about the defendant at all was filled out by the prospective jurors. If the questionnaire responses showed that any juror or jurors may have been exposed to media reports or knew anything about the defendant, the rest of the jury venire (with no answers that caused concern) was sent away for a break while the jurors at issue were question individually at the bench outside the hearing of the other "suspect" jurors. If there were any "for cause" strikes for bias formed by the media reports or prior knowledge of the defendant, we exercised them there and the judge ruled on them. If there was bias, the juror was dismissed, if the judge determined that none existed, they stayed on the venire and were instructed to not discuss anything that happened during this phase with the other jurors. Then the rest of the jury venire was brought back and regular questioning commenced and all questions about knowledge of the media reports or prior knowledge of the defendant himself were avoided at the risk of a mistrial if these issues were brought up before the entire venire.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was never a fan of using uncharged conduct...that the jury never heard, for sentencing purposes. Seems constitutionally icky to me, but it's been done for a long time.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I also heard on the radio this morning that they are looking into Schererville in Merrillville as well.

Top Bottom