• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Factory Crimp Die: I use one when reloading 9 and 40. I first started reloading 9mm and until I started using a factory crimp die I had feeding issues. I am now going to start reloading 45. I suppose I should plan on FCD for that also.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Factory Crimp Die: I use one when reloading 9 and 40. I first started reloading 9mm and until I started using a factory crimp die I had feeding issues. I am now going to start reloading 45. I suppose I should plan on FCD for that also.

The die really helps with the 40. It is necessary with that one. I have been using RCBS dies on 45 for a long time with good results. The lower pressure of 45 seems not to beat up the cases as much as the 40.

Tom Terrific

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Marshall County
    I recently discovered the Lee "Bulge Buster" that uses the Factory Crimp Die as a push thru resizing die. I've never had any feed problems using the standard taper crimp die that came in the set, but always noticed an unsightly bulge at the bottom of the case where the resizing die can't reach. The FCD has a carbide sleeve at the bottom and you remove the crimp sleeve from the die then push the case completely through the die, which eliminates the bulge. It worked great on my .40 and .45 cases, but I cannot find an FCD for 9mm to try it on. I've heard that it won't work on 9mm (my book shows the rim to be .003" larger than the case dia.), but all the cases I've measured don't seem to indicate this. I would still like to try it.

alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I recently discovered the Lee "Bulge Buster" that uses the Factory Crimp Die as a push thru resizing die. I've never had any feed problems using the standard taper crimp die that came in the set, but always noticed an unsightly bulge at the bottom of the case where the resizing die can't reach. The FCD has a carbide sleeve at the bottom and you remove the crimp sleeve from the die then push the case completely through the die, which eliminates the bulge. It worked great on my .40 and .45 cases, but I cannot find an FCD for 9mm to try it on. I've heard that it won't work on 9mm (my book shows the rim to be .003" larger than the case dia.), but all the cases I've measured don't seem to indicate this. I would still like to try it.
    I never new about the bulge buster setup from LEE. Sounds like the ticket for those who shoot Glocks!

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    The 9mm is a tapered cartridge. The Bulge-Buster only works on straight walled cases like the 40, 38, 44 etc. If you have a lot of 9's with bulging, you may want to adjust your powder charge or check your OAL to reduce case pressure.

Tom Terrific

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Marshall County
    Thanks chem, I had heard that about 9mm cases just never investigated. Since .38 & .44 are rimmed cases and can't be pushed completely thru the die, the bulge buster has no advantage over the standard die for sizing.

Top Bottom