• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Hey guys, I am building my new AR-15, I am stuck between either going with Black, Flat Dark Earth, or Foliage Green accessories.(stock, grip, hand guard)
    I know Flat Dark Earth doesnt match Indiana's terrain much but it still looks awesome. Any insight?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wanted foliage at the time, but my dealer didn't have a full set in stock. I went FDE and didn't look back. I love it. All Magpul MOE BTW. It has all worked flawlessly. If I had it to do again I would get a CTR stock instead of an MOE, it has a bit of play.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I went with OD green and I love it. I was considering the foliage green, but had never seen it in person so I was afraig it would be too bright of a green for my taste.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Of course I own a rifle that looks like this so my personal taste does tend to be a bit different... :rockwoot:

hakim1d.jpg

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I have ruled out Foliage Green, but I am torn between black and FDE. Your right Grimor. black does go with everything. What is the difference between the MOE and CTR buttstock by the way, besides the price?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have ruled out Foliage Green, but I am torn between black and FDE. Your right Grimor. black does go with everything. What is the difference between the MOE and CTR buttstock by the way, besides the price?

The CTR has the friction lock and integral QD sockets, the MOE doesn't

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The AR is by its nature a "Black Rifle." That said, unless you completely paint the entire rifle, you'll never competely match the Indiana terrain.

I like the contrasting black and tan look you get from using FDE furniture, and also think that Foliage looks nice too.

Something to consider is that FDE actually matches a lot of the wild grasses, corn stalks, etc. in Indiana pretty well. Other than in the spring summer when things are very green and blooming, FDE is not a bad "break-up" color to use. And even then, it is a very natural earth tone and will always look cool on your rifle. :)

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I definitely didnt think about things such as corn stalks and grasses. I was wanting to go for the FDE accessories and black upper and lower. But in the back of my mind I still think that black will be the best in most situations.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have two without the friction lock. They wobble, they rattle. However; the friction lock will be something else to disengage to change your stock length. I like 2 clicks out, and I'm thinking of pinning my stocks there.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I definitely didnt think about things such as corn stalks and grasses. I was wanting to go for the FDE accessories and black upper and lower. But in the back of my mind I still think that black will be the best in most situations.

I shoot out on the family farm quite a bit here in Southern Indiana. I've got a few different articles of clothing that are various cammo patterns. Multi-cam probably matches things the best, but desert digital is a close second, believe it or not. The woodland digi-cam actually doesn't match all that well out in the open, but is pretty good in the woods.

For hunting in the fall, real-tree all-purpose grey is my choice, and if you look at it in detail, there are tyipcally some FDE, Foliage colors mixed in with the grey/brown major camo colors.

DSC06623.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom