• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _OZ_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    In Search of the Holy Grail
    As I remember Russia is having another bad year for wheat... might be 2 years now of low crops...

does not take much to throw everything off center..... now to stock up on more MRE's and other good storing items...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Actually, Russia is calling off exports because of an extended drought and a series of wildfires that have hit their wheat growing regions. The fires aren't over yet, by a long shot and they're hedging their bets. If other people suffer, well, Russia's not going to be too concerned about that.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    Actually, Russia is calling off exports because of an extended drought and a series of wildfires that have hit their wheat growing regions. The fires aren't over yet, by a long shot and they're hedging their bets. If other people suffer, well, Russia's not going to be too concerned about that.

This is what I was thinking it could be over. The drought as well as the wildfires

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Well, it's a fact humanity will face in the near future a grave starvation, where there was none before.

I dont see how humanity can support to feed more people, when it cannot currently feed the amount of humans now.

I guess the baby factories are they're own worst enemies.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    The world is too populated and we don't have enough fertile crop land to support everyone.

Plant your gardens, guys. Learn how to can food. It's a handy bit of knowledge to know and your fresh food taste delicious during the winter. If you have the time and land, it's a win/win.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There's no shortage of food in the world. The U.S. alone can produce enough food to feed the world several times over. The problem is in distribution, not supply.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, it's a fact humanity will face in the near future a grave starvation, where there was none before

Nonsense. Tommy Malthus was a moron and Paulie Ehrlich was a proven fraud many decades ago.

Simon?Ehrlich wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The world is too populated and we don't have enough fertile crop land to support everyone

Sometimes I think INGO choses not to believe history.:D

Green Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guys, just look all around you. See how fat everyone is? That's progress, freedom at work.

For century after century man worried about starving to death. Today our problems are caused by a superabundance of food.

It is not a shortage of food; it is a shortage of free markets.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's no shortage of food in the world. The U.S. alone can produce enough food to feed the world several times over. The problem is in distribution, not supply.

The last statement is spot on. The first bit is a little bit of hyperbole. US agricultural production alone could feed the world, as long as the oil holds out, but not several times over. Doing even that though would require conversion of all arable land to food production and in the long run that too will be counterproductive from the loss of biodiversity in the forests and prairie.

If mass starvation happens in the US in our lifetimes it won't be because of a lack of ability to produce crops, it'll be due to political instability or mass unrest with folks trashing the production means.

I'm curious to know how many people in the thread have ever:

Raised or hunted a significant portion of their own food (say 10% or greater)

Currently have at least 3 months worth of food stored on hand.

Went more than a day without eating because of shortage (not for spiritual reasons).

I've done the first two and I am avowed to do my best to keep me and mine from experiencing the third.

FULLMAGAZINE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The last statement is spot on. The first bit is a little bit of hyperbole. .

Yep, I pretty much just made it up on the spot. I'll stand by it, however, because if there were a market for it, I'd use my little acre to grow stuff and sell, and so would lots of other people. There's no market to send wheat to Mozambique because they don't have enough wives, goats, and childrentosellintoslavelabor to buy our wheat. Hence a distribution and really, a demand problem.

I'm curious to know how many people in the thread have ever:

Raised or hunted a significant portion of their own food (say 10% or greater)

Currently have at least 3 months worth of food stored on hand.

Went more than a day without eating because of shortage (not for spiritual reasons).

I've done the first two and I am avowed to do my best to keep me and mine from experiencing the third.

Raised or hunted 10% or more of food? Yes.
    Three months of food stored. Yes, at my unarmed neighbors' houses.:D
    Went more than a day without eating because of shortage? Yes.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The hype about the planet becoming overpopulated is just an excuse for people to accept total Government control over their lives.

The Government will soon want to control your reproductive organs and nationalize food production.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The hype about the planet becoming overpopulated is just an excuse for people to accept total Government control over their lives.

The Government will soon want to control your reproductive organs and nationalize food production.

It's a sad fact that overpopulation has a way of taking care of itself.

Top Bottom