• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Actually the society of which I speak is almost overwhelmingly against homosexual marriage.

What society would that be? According to a recent scientific poll conducted by CNN the population of the US is evenly split with the trend growing in support of same sex marriage.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Americans split evenly on gay marriage « - Blogs from CNN.com

Back in the 1800's the majority didn't think Blacks or women should have the right to vote. There has always been a "holier than thou" element in our country that thinks their morals and bigotry should supersede liberty. Thankfully those institutions of injustice have gone the way of the dodo one at a time.

Freedom for all, not just for those who share your values.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What society would that be? According to a recent scientific poll conducted by CNN the population of the US is evenly split with the trend growing in support of same sex marriage.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Americans split evenly on gay marriage « - Blogs from CNN.com

Back in the 1800's the majority didn't think Blacks or women should have the right to vote. There has always been a "holier than thou" element in our country that thinks their morals and bigotry should supersede liberty. Thankfully those institutions of injustice have gone the way of the dodo one at a time.

Freedom for all, not just for those who share your values.

I don't see how anyone can use the words "CNN" and "scientific poll" in the same sentence. If Californian residents voted overwhelmingly against same-sex marriage, I think one can safely opine that the majority of our population opposes it. In fact, Massachussets voted against same-sex marriage as well, but a judge ruled that the state had to accept them. While I hear same-sex marriage is legal in Iowa, I don't know how it came about.

I'm not sure how expressing one's traditional morals with regard to homosexuality becomes bigotry as long as one condemns the act and not the actors.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I for one think that majority opinion means absolutely nothing when it comes to individual freedoms.

Isn't a favorite saying by gun owners "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " Well, just look at the first part. The majority should not impose their will on the minority. Gun rights; Gay rights; everbody's rights, I am for.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I don't see how anyone can use the words "CNN" and "scientific poll" in the same sentence.
    Why, because you don't like the results?

Can you show me where their methodology is flawed or is any different than other polling methodologies employed by similar research groups? You can find the details in the downloadable PDF file. CNN didn't conduct the poll by the way, a third party polling company Opinion Research did and they're quite scientific in their methods.

If Californian residents voted overwhelmingly against same-sex marriage, I think one can safely opine that the majority of our population opposes it. In fact, Massachussets voted against same-sex marriage as well, but a judge ruled that the state had to accept them. While I hear same-sex marriage is legal in Iowa, I don't know how it came about.
    There was a time when the majority didn't want Blacks and women voting.

I'm not sure how expressing one's traditional morals with regard to homosexuality becomes bigotry as long as one condemns the act and not the actors.
    Expressing your traditions or morals isn't the problem. When you use those morals as an excuse to limit the freedom of others, then it's a problem. I see no reason to deny a group of people equal protection under the law simply because your morals clash with theirs.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Expressing your traditions or morals isn't the problem. When you use those morals as an excuse to limit the freedom of others, then it's a problem. I see no reason to deny a group of people equal protection under the law simply because your morals clash with theirs.

Part of the problem is that we've lived so long under the idea that private discrimination should be illegal.

The government shouldn't be able to discriminate against classes of people, but private citizens should. That includes employment, housing, and anything else private. That would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Isn't a favorite saying by gun owners "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " Well, just look at the first part. The majority should not impose their will on the minority. Gun rights; Gay rights; everbody's rights, I am for.

Unfortunately, many thing's in the liberal feel goodism arguement sound incredibly nice, wholesome, fight against the evil oppressors, but in PRACTICE/REALITY, are incredibly destructive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    There was a time when the majority didn't want Blacks and women voting.

:+1:

You tell them Full auto.....

TELL HIM.

There was once a time when Blacks wanted the same education as that Whites recieved; Now there is barely a 50% HS grad rate in the Black community, or so says CNN, which has jumped from te 04 report I read where it was 45%.

And those women... I wonder how many voted unlike the male counter-parts.

My knowledge of Viking Althing, suggest only men could have political power; However, knowing women, especially European women, they would have undoubtedly made they're opinion known to the male counterpart, who, with any logic, would bring the concern that women bring up.

As a guy, I can attest that my wife is superb in noting aspects which I overlook, and I thank her for this, even when it's at my own heartache.

I doubt that I am so far removed from my ancient ancestry in general outlook on life.

House Shadow Drake - Women in Viking Society

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If Californian residents voted overwhelmingly against same-sex marriage, I think one can safely opine that the majority of our population opposes it.

A 4% spread is overwhelming? 52.24%-47.76%

:yesway:

Top Bottom