• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I picked up a couple boxes of Federal 147gr. 9mm JHP's (9MS). 100rds. for $50. Does anyone have experience with this round? Particularly in Glock handguns. I have a G17 G3 I plan on trying it through.

Or any 147gr. 9mm through Glocks.

I've been reading stuff about 147's and the round in particular. One account states avg of 967fps, .61" expansion, 12.3" penetration. Doesn't specify if through bare gelatin or denim, etc.

Some people say 147's are the cats pajamas, others (one persons post in particular hates 147's and lists this round as his most hated.) I've read that this round is govt overstock and was supposedly tested at crane naval base and passed with flying colors.

i will be testing this round in a few days but just getting opinions.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 9MS is loaded with the older Hi-Shok bullet I believe (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

Fine for practice, but I prefer a more modern, newer generation JHP in 147 gr (as I think they perform more consistently) if carrying it for defensive purposes.

For Federal this would be the Federal Tactical or Federal HST offerings. The Gold Dot, Ranger, and Barnes XPB (i.e. DPX) bullets all work fine too.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I have a couple of boxes of those. Figured to be a step up from target simply because I also have a supply of the 147 HST +P. They all feed well with no FTF in my 92FS.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    No experience with that specific round, but their hydroshocks in 147 worked fine in my G26 I had for a while. The 9 BPLE (115 gr +P+ HP) load worked well too, and has many more praises than the 147 gr HP fed load. If you are looking for target ammo, go for it, but as SD loads, better can be had, especially if you are looking for 147 gr loads.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I've shot 147gr Federal in Glock 17, 19 and 22 with wolf conv. And used it in S&W 39, 59, 669 and Taurus PT111. It's a great round, never had a problem with it. Maybe not a good test but I shot a 72 Chevy truck door last year with several different calibers. The 9mm 147 Fed.HP left a hole going in and out you could stick your thumb in. It was larger than 357sig, 45 colt, 45acp, 357 mag, and 40 S&W all HP's. The only thing that made a bigger hole was a 12ga slug. This was the Federal 147gr. Hy-shok in the silver box.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom