• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Has anyone else had accuracy issues with Federal Champion 9mm ammo? I recently shot a box of 50 with several strays. Shot Remington 9mm UMC ammo with excellent accuracy.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    No problems with any type of Federal ammo. On the other hand, Remington UMC ammo is of such visibly low quality, and terrible performance, that I quit using the stuff years ago. Remington basically makes the worst bullets in every category in my book, and Federal is some of the best.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have not had a problem but anything is possible with high production mid grade ammo. How bad were the "strays"? One almost has to have a gun in a rest to really tell as the human factor has so many possibilities. There have been many times that I thought it might have been the ammo but I am sure I was responsible for a greater part of the poor or erratic bullet placement.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I have never had an issue with Federal Champion 9MM.
    I have had many bad issues with cheap Federal 22lr ammo.
    While I don't think that Remington UMC target ammo is great, it does burn clean and no misfires.
    It simply is not as accurate as some other target ammo.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No problems with the Federal Champion. I do believe these loads use a plated bullet if that matters. Also the .45 acp loading uses a small pistol primer. I have not had any problems with the 9mm or .40S&W Federal Champion. I have has issues with the .45 acp.

Remington UMC has always been fine for me.

Winchester White Box has always been fine for me.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Federal Champion, UMC and WWB have all functioned fine for me. Not the most accurate, but function, flyers I'm sure are me and not the ammo. (Used in 9mm and 45). I have had several issues with bulk 22LR in some semi autos but that's a whole different animal.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Federal champion is the cheap stuff at wal mart if I remember correctly, it's pretty well bottom of the bucket performance wise. But I haven't had many accuracy problems I guess, just loaded weak.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    One thing I do recall when studying Federal Champion (which I THINK is the same as their white box "Range and Target") was that it is a light load. That's probably why I'm more accurate with it, less recoil. If you have a heavy recoil spring, or gummed up slide, or simply not enough lubrication on a heavy pistol, I suppose it is possible that it would not rack the slide reliably. I've never had that problem though, at least not with Federal R&T. I've stockpiled Champion 9mm because I assumed it was identical to my favorite target ammo, R&T. The boxes say FMJ, not plated, so I assume they are real FMJ.

Winchester white box is great IMO too, but Federal is a bit cheaper sometimes.

I just did a quick lookup, and found that Luckygunner has an extended description of the Champion rounds as "actually plated", but you could tell it was written by their staff, not from Federal. They may have assumed they were plated do to the lower advertised velocity, or it could just be a widespread Internet rumor. This guy says they are true FMJ:
    Jacketed vs. Plated FMJ bullets.

Here is the luckygunner description FWIW:
    http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-115-grain-fmj-fn-federal-champion-1000-rounds

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Look real close at the Federal Champion vs the American Eagle. The bullets look different. Rumor has it the copper jackets on the Champion are thinner. I know for a fact the .45 acp uses small pistol primers.

Top Bottom