• ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Federal Excise Tax on Lowers?
    When did this happen? Palmetto State Armory has a neat lower for sale that I thought about getting. But under the ad, it stated that, due to a new law, it had to add an 11% Federal Excise Tax to Ar 15 lowers and parts?

Palmetto State Armory Gadsden Lower

Due to Federal law, if you order an AR15 lower and AR15 parts, we will have to add an additional 11% Federal Excise Tax to the purchase price of the AR15 lower and AR15 parts. This amount will not be reflected in your shopping cart or on your invoice, but will be added when your order is processed.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is sick if true. It's news to me.

A bit ironic for a product that says "Don't tread on me" but a hefty tax is treading on me.

Retailers here? Fill us in please.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I work in the floral industry as a driver for a wholesaler. We just started having to hit custoomers with this for stuff that comes from south america and several other countries. I though it was just on produce but I here its on a bunch of stuff and ranges from 3.8-11% Its serously hurting the company I work for but they just couldnt afford to eat the tax and the rise in energy costs anymore.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I thought that the federal tax was only on complete firearms and paid by the manufacturer, so it was included in the MSRP of the firearm. Even though ATF classifies the lower as the firearm it is not a complete firearm, therefore unless they changed the tax laws, there should not be any "federal" tax on the lower.

Of course, knowing ATF and how often they change the unconstitutional "rules" anything is possible.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    sounds a bit shady... if it does exist, it should be reflected in the cart. if it's just on those items just raise the price and say "price includes federal tax" or whatever.

but I never heard about this for lowers or parts kits

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I thought that the federal tax was only on complete firearms and paid by the manufacturer, so it was included in the MSRP of the firearm. . . .

Correct (one reason why you can/could build an AR and save a little bit if you wanted to), unless something has changed. They can always change the rules.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Is this the way they'll sneak the Euro-style "value added tax" on us to pay for Obamascare?

Not correct.

The tax has "always" been there, for anyone alive today.

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faetinfo.pdf

What I think is going on here is the site advertising a price without the tax to get you looking. I have NEVER seen a quoted price without the tax included. That's just the way most do business. I think advertising without the tax included is shady and would take my business elsewhere even if it costs you a few bucks more.:patriot:

Shame too.... Palmetto has good prices in general and I haven't heard any bad feedback until seeing this.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Not correct.

The tax has "always" been there, for anyone alive today.

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faetinfo.pdf

What I think is going on here is the site advertising a price without the tax to get you looking. I have NEVER seen a quoted price without the tax included. That's just the way most do business. I think advertising without the tax included is shady and would take my business elsewhere even if it costs you a few bucks more.:patriot:

Shame too.... Palmetto has good prices in general and I haven't heard any bad feedback until seeing this.
    I agree.:patriot:

Top Bottom