• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    But I can see the flip side. He works constantly, 60+ hours a week and more. And he's always worn out. And I'm not sure he actually likes the job. At some point, you gotta ask yourself if the money means all that much if you can't enjoy it. I can think of no greater hell than making $100k a year doing a job that I despise, and spending almost no time with my family or actually enjoying life. There has to be a balance.

The flip side of that flip side is that I worked probably 100+ hours a week for years on end (almost never a day completely off) between school and work. Got out of school and had crappy entry level jobs for the first several years, and didn't make any real money until an OT gig came and I was working those 60s to do it.

So... Pretty much from age 19-35 I was working at minimum 60 hours a week anyhow. All of that landed me a career where my job is being outsourced faster than I can think of ways to stay employed and I wouldn't really say that's what I want to do until retirement. In fact, that's probably not what I'm going to be doing from the looks of things.

Looking back on it all, if I had started in a trade at 19 and poured as much effort and money into as I did school, then career apprenticeship after that, and all it took to get there... I'd have a pretty sweet business of my own by now and could probably still be sitting in an office if I wanted to. It wasn't until about 5 years ago I figured out that all of the rich guys I know did it pretty much exactly that way. Very few people get rich from going to school and getting a job. Many don't even end up getting much more than getting by. :twocents:

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    ...At some point, you gotta ask yourself if the money means all that much if you can't enjoy it. I can think of no greater hell than making $100k a year doing a job that I despise, and spending almost no time with my family or actually enjoying life. There has to be a balance.

Great point and I think a lot of people start out that way. They decide that family, life, environment, "social stuff", etc., are the most important things in their life (not for me to say it is or isn't) so they set their "balance" that way. Then later they decide they also want the nice new car, the big house, the fancy electronics, eating out all the time, etc. but they don't want to give up the "balance". How can they have both? Of course...free cloud money from the government will fix it all.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Great point and I think a lot of people start out that way. They decide that family, life, environment, "social stuff", etc., are the most important things in their life (not for me to say it is or isn't) so they set their "balance" that way. Then later they decide they also want the nice new car, the big house, the fancy electronics, eating out all the time, etc. but they don't want to give up the "balance". How can they have both? Of course...free cloud money from the government will fix it all.

Believe it or not, there are jobs out there that pay well and do not sap your life by working you into the ground. It's actually possible to work less than 100 hours a week and have a house and nice car. No free cloud money necessary.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Believe it or not, there are jobs out there that pay well and do not sap your life by working you into the ground. It's actually possible to work less than 100 hours a week and have a house and nice car. No free cloud money necessary.

I'm not saying they aren't out there, in fact I'm fortunate enough to have one of them. That's just not the case for everyone.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have worked hard all my life, spent the last 36 years of my actual working career in one factory, saved lots of money, got everything paid for, worked 2 years with no house or vehicle payments then retired. I retired 4 years ago, at age 56. So far things have been good, support my hobbies just fine, still owe nothing, it can be done just needs to be planned early in life.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    If 2020 has shown us anything, it's that supply chains are easily disrupted. I really doubt Federal doesn't want to sell us all we want to buy, but there are logistics and tons of other factors to consider.

I just know I sure as flip ain't paying $1+ per round for any ammo.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Federal been running pretty heavily since Bill Clinton lived in the Big House. More people are buying it and then buying more of it and hoarding and trading this stuff. Ammunition production in America has shrunk to a small fraction of what it was during WWll. Korea and Vietnam. If we ever got into a real war we would have serious shortages of small arms ammo. I remember back in the '90s our D.O.D. was buying well over half the ammo they used from Israel. I still have buckets of TZZ brass that was coming off of military ranges. It was cheap and it was everywhere. America doesn't hardly make anything today. Our labor costs are too high to compete. China will probably rule the World someday.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Have visited with several friends in the industry. They, like so many others, are dealing with limited employess, raw materials, transportation, a increased demand. Same for other industries. Hopefully people learn.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I saw the CEO of Vista outdoors say all primers are now going to loaded ammo. So no primers will be available for a looong time for reloading. They own CCI Winchester and now Remington. The Big 3 of primers manufacturers. Sad just sad..

Top Bottom