• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Also, I have heard that people have had less than stellar feeding reliability with the 147gr HSTs in S&W Shields (my EDC), hence the reason I am looking for the 124gr variety. With the shorter barrels, is there any benefit to using the +P loading or just stick with the standard pressures? With +P are you just getting a bigger fireball?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Also, I have heard that people have had less than stellar feeding reliability with the 147gr HSTs in S&W Shields (my EDC), hence the reason I am looking for the 124gr variety. With the shorter barrels, is there any benefit to using the +P loading or just stick with the standard pressures? With +P are you just getting a bigger fireball?

You should watch some of the ballistic test videos by ShootingTheBull410 on Youtube. He specifically tested for shot-barreled guns and tested a lot of 9mm HST variants.

HST Tests

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    124gr standard pressure....[video=youtube;-lGqdMdbir0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i[/video]

124gr +p......[video=youtube;ld5jpsaDjbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld5jpsaDjbA[/video]

147gr standard pressure...[video=youtube;K3VfWkWMzOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VfWkWMzOI[/video]

147gr +p....[video=youtube;oM2AJm9VhYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2AJm9VhYM[/video]

There's a ton of videos on Utube about how to polish your feed ramps.....doing this cured any feed issues with the 147grainers in my Rugers.....

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Can't speak to the 124gr offerings but with the 147gr you're getting more recoil and minimal differences in performance with the +P. The bullets of the standard and +P are each designed to do what they do at a specific velocity.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield

I found a box of 50 HST 147gr +p at Elmores thanks to a tip from a fellow Ingoer. I was just going to run three magazines and carry the rest (that may be a rookie mistake?), but now I just might run the whole box to be sure they feed well after reading this post since the Shield is my EDC as well. I'll be sure to keep you updated!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Has anyone shot the 9mm Federal HST Micro in 150gr from a full size pistol (ie 92FS)? If so, what was your experience?

After looking it up, it has a muzzle velocity of 900 ft/ sec. The .45 HST's MV is 890. So it moves as slow as a .45 but doesn't have the weight or size to offset that. I cant imagine it would perform near as good as a standard HST round.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    [video=youtube_share;zYTd1lNx_TQ]http://youtu.be/zYTd1lNx_TQ[/video]

I saw that video. The tests I have seen are all done using a micro 9mm. I'm wondering about how it will shoot from a full size 9mm. Since it optimized for the micro sized gun, will it have the strength to operate the slide on a full-size gun. Guess I'll have to shoot some at the range and find out. If it doesn't work well in the full size, I'll be off to find some standard velocity 147g HP and use these in my micro 9mm.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    After looking it up, it has a muzzle velocity of 900 ft/ sec. The .45 HST's MV is 890. So it moves as slow as a .45 but doesn't have the weight or size to offset that. I cant imagine it would perform near as good as a standard HST round.

That and being fired from a full-size gun may make it even slower. The standard velocity 147g round is 1035fps. The advantage is less recoil when fired in a micro-9mm.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 124 and 147 HST work just fine in the micro guns (with respect to penetration and expansion). Why the 150 gr I wonder? Just for the reduced recoil? Marketing hype? More profit?

I see Federal's web site says, "Optimized for less felt recoil, more reliable cycling and better control with subcompact pistols."

Personally, I'd rather just stock a single load, like, say the 124 gr HST, for all my 9s (micro to full-size).

And frankly, the 150 gr micro test video above doesn't show anything extraordinary or unexpected. Doesn't seem to do much (if anything) that the current 124 and 147 gr HST loads don't already do.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I've shot the 150's out of my Glock 43. I buy rounds and test them for the fun / neediness of it. They're a lower powered round. I'm of the same idea that I try to run two or less loads for carry.

FWIW, here's how I do my testing (from a recent batch) on the left are HST on the right, Speer G2 147 gr, in the background is the 10% gel block.

expansion.jpg

Top Bottom