• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I've heard a lot about target-tuned DA revolvers only working reliably with Federal primers. For example, Clark gunsmithing states their target job only works with Federals, and even then it's not for defensive use.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with slicked-up Smith DA revolver triggers and this phenomenon.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I will show my age here but back in the mid to late 80's a lot of us used S&W revolvers exclusively. There were generally two types of action jobs. The one on your duty gun (even then we still used a reputable gunsmith for liability) and then the one on your PPC revolver for competition.

I knew of several co workers that ran only Federal primers in their PPC gun for that reason. The PPC jobs were just so light that Federal were the only ones that would go 100% of the time. I don't know why the Federals did over the others thats just how the did it and I just never asked why. You could run normal duty loads/primers through the PPC guns but it would not be 100% reliable. (not something to chance with on duty)

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    This is pretty close to true. If you have a double action pull below 7.5lbs or so it will be questionable on anything but Federals. Get a box of Winchester white box ammo and try it, if this is for a carry gun, make sure you have tested this thoroughly.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I shot competition revolvers for years and if you tune the springs and trigger for extreme light pull weights you pretty much have to use Federal primers, which is perfectly OK because they are THE BEST. I use them in everything whether the guns requires it or not. I've never had a Federal primer fail to pop. Federals are the most sensitive followed by Winchester/Remington and CCI/Speer are the hardest.

Top Bottom