• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looks like an opportunity to steal some of Fedex's business.
    Really, the marketers didn't do themselves any favors by their tactics, but then that was their point I guess.
    These sort of machines are out there, and more are going to be hitting the population at large everyday, one way or another.
    The machine is legal to manufacture, purchase, own, and operate. Just like any other tool, it's the users responsibility to follow the laws that pertain to them.

When will Fedex stop shipping crowbars? They could be used for burglary purposes. What about files? They could be used to manufacture knives and swords! How many millions of souls have lost their lives to edged weapons over the eons?
    Oh, the humanity!

As useful a policy as nipples on a boar.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    OMG you mean they don't get the privilege to spend twice as much to ship something with FedEx?!

FedEx just did them a favor.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Looks like an opportunity to steal some of Fedex's business.
    Really, the marketers didn't do themselves any favors by their tactics, but then that was their point I guess.
    These sort of machines are out there, and more are going to be hitting the population at large everyday, one way or another.
    The machine is legal to manufacture, purchase, own, and operate. Just like any other tool, it's the users responsibility to follow the laws that pertain to them.

When will Fedex stop shipping crowbars? They could be used for burglary purposes. What about files? They could be used to manufacture knives and swords! How many millions of souls have lost their lives to edged weapons over the eons?
    Oh, the humanity!

As useful a policy as nipples on a boar.

I believe my late Grandfather said it was "worthless as t!ts on a boar"...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    FedEx has a firearm industry membership to the NRA?? No idea... They will get it shipped somehow, the story even said UPS wouldn't or something either... Cool devices too!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    How will UPS or FedEx know whats in the box?

Hint: they don't, unless you tell them.

"Is this hazardous"? NO

"Is this illegal"? NO

Ship away, friends...its all "machine parts".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like corporate butt covering. Their comments basically boil down to "we don't know if its illegal somewhere, so we aren't shipping it until we know."

My question would be, is there any criminal or civil liability for shipping an item that turns out to be illegal where it is shipped to? For the shipping company, I mean, not the sender or receiver.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like corporate butt covering. Their comments basically boil down to "we don't know if its illegal somewhere, so we aren't shipping it until we know."

My question would be, is there any criminal or civil liability for shipping an item that turns out to be illegal where it is shipped to? For the shipping company, I mean, not the sender or receiver.

That's what I'm thinking. If someone were to crank out a few ARs with one of these and hand them out to a local ISIS wanna be group that used them in a mall attack, the lawyers would be scrambling to find the deep pockets to affix blame to. I think FedEx is afraid of being the deep pockets tapped. The existence of a machine that can produce a home built gun will have no impact on whether or not we are attacked by a radical group, but the people in a position to profit from the aftermath will need to find someone that can pay.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The folks trying to do the shipping intentionally did this to themselves in order to get publicity. How often does FedEx or UPS ask YOU what you're shipping? They asked the question to draw attention to exactly what they are doing in order to get denied.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I'd have to agree with the publicity angle. This is free advertising for them. I can buy a makerbot on amazon right now and it ships without question so there is no issue with shipping something that can make a firearm. Would we even have heard of the company before this?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's what I'm thinking. If someone were to crank out a few ARs with one of these and hand them out to a local ISIS wanna be group that used them in a mall attack, the lawyers would be scrambling to find the deep pockets to affix blame to. I think FedEx is afraid of being the deep pockets tapped. The existence of a machine that can produce a home built gun will have no impact on whether or not we are attacked by a radical group, but the people in a position to profit from the aftermath will need to find someone that can pay.

Even stripping that out. Say I mail heroin via FedEx. FedEx isn't on the hook for illegal possession, as they didn't know they had it. If someone OD's on the heroin, how could FedEx possibly be liable? I am sure they have their lawyers and other smarties looking at it from some angle I'm not seeing, but I just can't get out if you ship guns you can't ship something that makes guns. You ship guns, so its not some anti-gun statement. Wouldn't you be more directly liable for shipping a gun vs something that is used to make a gun? It is just being afraid of things you don't understand? I'm still puzzled.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's just a risk/reward business decision. There's not much money to be made from the mill manufacturer, and the dollars at risk, at least in somebody in FX management's opinion, is too high.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    It's just a risk/reward business decision.

Exactly. And it is their business to do with what they want.

Think your boycott of their services matters? Check the stock price before and after and see. Think you can do better? Let us know the name of your international door to door shipping company.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    There's more going on than corporate cya here. For FedEx to not ship these someone in a regulatory department would have been consulted. Upon questioning they would contact a government office, in this case likely the ATF who FedEx has a long standing give/take relationship with. Most likely the ATF "advised" FedEx at that point to not ship these mills. I've been in the corporate system long enough now to know how this works and seen it in action. There's a reason even UPS said no and at USPS mums the word. Something is going on behind the scenes at the federal level concerning this company or their product and/or customers. This may be another Ares situation in the making. Given the ATF's recent overstepping of authority and ridiculous opinion letters and ammunition reclassifications this really fits right in line.

Top Bottom