Feds Could Ban Passengers on Vintage Aircraft Flights Following Deadly B-17 Cras

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ^this...

We need to ban these flights because of ffffffeeeeeellllliiiinnnnngggggsssssss....

That plane could have crashed into a school. Why dont you think of the cccchhhiiiilllldddrrrreeeennnnnn. ;)

Besides that plane represents an era of freedom, of fighting tyranny. We cant have such a symbol anymore. The current and future generations must get a rewrite on history of the past. Newspeak, comrades!!!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Joe Dentist is still allowed to pile his friends and family into his V-tail Bonanza with like 40 flight hours on his license. :dunno:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    F*** you statists. Let us choose our own fates. If we want to buy a souped up muscle car with no airbags, or fly in a vintage AC that has a higher failure rate its our ass. (cue the counterpoint audio from the movie Airplane)

That is all.

Still kicking myself. Back in 1999 at the World Freefall Convention in Quincy, IL they had both B17 and B24 rides. But not just regular rides. They would let you skydive out the bomb bay doors. Back then $250 just seemed like an outrageous amount. I could make over 16 regular skydives for that amount. Really wishing now I had put it on the plastic and paid it off over time. I dont think you can even get a ride for that price now.

It was $400 a person to fly in the B-17 when it was in Fishers... if this goes through, I will be in your shoes.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    It was $400 a person to fly in the B-17 when it was in Fishers... if this goes through, I will be in your shoes.
    It was $450 in August 2011 when 909 was at Evansville. Got to live my “Twelve o’Clock High” fantasy up in the nose compartment over the Norden Bombsight. Ought to post a few pictures.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Joe Dentist is still allowed to pile his friends and family into his V-tail Bonanza with like 40 flight hours on his license. :dunno:

Yeah, but as long as that goes on, eventually we’ll crash all of the V-tail Bonanzas. Problem solved.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, but as long as that goes on, eventually we’ll crash all of the V-tail Bonanzas. Problem solved.

It all started when Joe Dentist got bored with golf and his new corvette and hot dental assistant didn’t satisfy his midlife. There will always be V-tail Bonanzas for guys like Joe.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Eventually they will make it too dangerous to step out the door without .gov approval. It's all about control of the peps.
    Once only the government and criminals have firearms, we will be there. The problem is, how will the rest of us tell the difference?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Who's goin' to ride [those] chrome [R-1820s]?
    Who's goin' to make that first mistake
    Who wants to wear those gypsy leathers
    All the way to Fire Lake

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Who's goin' to ride [those] chrome [R-1820s]?
    Who's goin' to make that first mistake
    Who wants to wear those gypsy leathers
    All the way to Fire Lake

Who wants to play those eights and aces?
    Who wants a raise? Who needs a stake?
    Who wants to take that . . . long shot gamble
    And head out to Fire Lake?

I had to spread some reputation around . . .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, there's a big difference, Mrs. de Marco. The mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Whole article seems click baity to me...

Like any air crash, they will look at the facts, make recommendations, probably have public comment for it, and then enact said regulations. The reaction to this click bait article is kinda overblown.

"That is something we will look at down the road," National Transportation Safety Board member Jennifer Homendy said when asked whether the owners of vintage aircraft should be permitted to keep taking paying customers up for brief flights at airshows and heritage events.

"We're still at the very early stages of this investigation and we'll have to determine that at the appropriate time," Homendy
    The NTSB is expected to make a preliminary report on the crash later this month, but recommendations on what actions the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) should take to ensure the safety of vintage aircraft flights will likely not be made for several months.

"Our mission is to determine what happened, why it happened and to prevent it from happening again," Homendy said. The B-17 that crashed was owned and operated by the Massachusetts-based Collings Foundation.

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Feds Could Ban Passengers on Vintage Aircraft Flights Following Deadly B-17 Crash

https://www.military.com/daily-news...lights-following-deadly-b-17-crash.html?ESRC=

Whatever happened to Legislative Branch making laws?
    Am I the only one that thinks everyone seems to be throwing out the Constitution?

I don’t see anything in the Constitution that allows/disallows passengers to ride airplanes. Come to think of it, the Constitution was written before the Kitty-Hawk, NC event. Several of the military vintage aircraft are able to continue flying and touring historical airplanes by charging money for rides to offset the expense of their continued existence.
    The FAA is good at knee-jerk reactions however.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I really want more data. It could be fuel contamination (say, with JetA) but it is hard to believe even the most sleepy, underpaid doper line service tech would think those Wright Cyclones were turbines

It could also be control failure. A compromised rudder comes to mind, especially if reports of a balky engine are correct and led to severely reduced power or an inflight shutdown.

I'm reading the a/c could haul 4800lbs of 'heavy metal fruit' to Berlin from England as well as sufficient fuel for the round trip. 13 peeps, even if all 300 pounders, should not have overloaded it even with #4 reduced or shut down. The likelihood is that the flight crew screwed the pooch either by inadequate pre-flight or loss of control during emergency maneuvering unless there was a flight control issue. They 'landed' 1000 feet short of the threshold, plowing through the approach light piers, before impacting the deicing facility. Something went seriously wrong somewhere

Top Bottom