• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    The article stated in it (although obliquely) that Ron Paul is an advocate for bringing the US back to the gold standard.

I love it! Yet another reason to vote for the man.

Unless...................all the rumors about Fort Knox being empty are true******then we're hosed.:)

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    What confuses me is that there does not appear to be any charges made or any legal action allowing them to take the coins. Well other then we are supposed to just believe they are telling the truth about them being stolen.

If I go to my neighbors house and take his TV saying your stole this from me. I am going to hold on to it till you can prove you did not. It would be considered theft. This is the same thing. Put them all in jail and throw away the key.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    they said the coins are valued at 80 million :eek:. I hope the fed sent the family a big bottle of lube, because they just got ****ed!!!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What confuses me is that there does not appear to be any charges made or any legal action allowing them to take the coins. Well other then we are supposed to just believe they are telling the truth about them being stolen.

If I go to my neighbors house and take his TV saying your stole this from me. I am going to hold on to it till you can prove you did not. It would be considered theft. This is the same thing. Put them all in jail and throw away the key.

They base this on none having been legitimately released to the public. Any are considered stolen as they are unique and no one other than the U.S. Govt has clear title, or so they claim, plus it's not clear who initiated the court proceeding.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    They base this on none having been legitimately released to the public. Any are considered stolen as they are unique and no one other than the U.S. Govt has clear title, or so they claim, plus it's not clear who initiated the court proceeding.

I would think that the proof lies with the government on this one. With FDR's gold grab and melt down, I think it would be hard to prove that every single "Legal Tender" coin had been confiscated, especially with so many of them that have surfaced over the years. Also, if one of them had been sold at auction, as the article states, why wasn't that one seized? To me that is proof that there is a possibility of the legal ownership by the jeweler and his hiers.

You think this is a federal forfeiture, Carmel?

I do, for sure. The gubbermint takes it, makes the true owners fight to get it back. They care not what it costs because they don't have to pay the legal fees. Forfietures laws as they are presently used are a crime against the American Public and should be changed IMHO.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County

That is assuming someone is guilty before proven. We all know the government makes a lot of mistakes and looses stuff all the time. Who is to say they did not loose these. Since they were lost almost a 80 years ago. I think they no longer have a claim to them. Just because they do not know what happened to these coins does not mean they were stolen.

This is just another reason why you should not talk to the government unless you have to. They would have been better off just selling them for half the value or even a 1/4th.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That is assuming someone is guilty before proven. We all know the government makes a lot of mistakes and looses stuff all the time. Who is to say they did not loose these. Since they were lost almost a 80 years ago. I think they no longer have a claim to them. Just because they do not know what happened to these coins does not mean they were stolen.

This is just another reason why you should not talk to the government unless you have to. They would have been better off just selling them for half the value or even a 1/4th.

There's a statue of limitations on theft if the property is found?
    I'm with Stschil on this one, they are going to have to prove the theft. Looking at the story, it would appear grandpa was a pretty dirty guy. He'd been a suspect since FDR was in office, his dealer's license was revoked, and the deposit box the coins were found in was rented 6 years after his death. It's all circumstantial, but dang. IMO personal opinion, he probably stole the coins BUT, what the govt thinks he did, and what the govt can prove is going to prove to be quite a battle. However, if the story is true, then the family has lied already stating that the deposit box was kept by their father, which unless he was a functional talking zombie with social skills, would be impossible.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would think that the proof lies with the government on this one. With FDR's gold grab and melt down, I think it would be hard to prove that every single "Legal Tender" coin had been confiscated, especially with so many of them that have surfaced over the years.

Not confiscated, the 1933 gold coinage was not released to the public.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Federal Government issued a wholesale ban/confiscation of gold under FDR.

Now they want to steal back what they stole in 1933.

The Roosevelt Gold Confiscation Order Of April 3 1933
    I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and pursuant to said section to do hereby prohibit the hoarding gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States by individuals, partnerships, associations and corporations and hereby prescribe the following regulations for carrying out the purposes of the order:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Am I the only one to see this

"
    The government has long believed that Switt schemed with a corrupt cashier at the Mint to swipe the coins. They note that the deposit box in which the coins were found was rented six years after Switt's death, and that the family never paid inheritance tax on the coins."

Smells to me.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    There's a statue of limitations on theft if the property is found?
    I'm with Stschil on this one, they are going to have to prove the theft. Looking at the story, it would appear grandpa was a pretty dirty guy. He'd been a suspect since FDR was in office, his dealer's license was revoked, and the deposit box the coins were found in was rented 6 years after his death. It's all circumstantial, but dang. IMO personal opinion, he probably stole the coins BUT, what the govt thinks he did, and what the govt can prove is going to prove to be quite a battle. However, if the story is true, then the family has lied already stating that the deposit box was kept by their father, which unless he was a functional talking zombie with social skills, would be impossible.

I have no idea if there is a statue of limitations on theft. It was just my opinion in this case. I should have stated that. The main thing I was trying to get across is that they need to prove that it was stolen and that it does indeed belong to them. That should have been done before they took someones property.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not confiscated, the 1933 gold coinage was not released to the public.

I didn't mean that these specific coins were part of the confiscation, just making the point that supposedly, all gold coins were melted down under FDR. We all know that that did not actually happen as there have been quite a few that have surfaced since that time. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Top Bottom