• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    P10S instead of p10c. Just a bit smaller and easier to carry but still feels like a bigger gun in terms of grip. You can get half a pinky on the mag baseplate and it shoots like a dream.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The 2 best polymer frame, striked fired compact 9mm pistols are not even on your list.

Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 2.0
    Glock 19

But if you're sticking to your list, I'd go with the CZ P10c. The trigger is excellent, and it comes closest to replicating the size/form factor of the Glock 19, but with a better grip feel. The Walther PPQ is an excellent pistol, but you might find the trigger a bit light for defensive work and the grip feel is kinda weird compared to other options. I don't have any experience with any of the other options, except owning a VP9 briefly and feeling a big "meh" after 50 rounds through it. Sold it shortly thereafter.

I agree with others on the XD being a non-starter for every day carry, and for the same reason.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I agree with others on the XD being a non-starter for every day carry, and for the same reason.

Has anyone tried to grip an XD of any kind?

I've never had an issue with the grip safety... even trying to grip it funky while dry fire training and I can't not get it to engage.

OP - a lot of great recommendations so far. Hit the range, rent some and see what's best for you.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback! I've been slowly working my way through getting my hands on each of these when I see them in gun stores and have even rented and fired some at the range. I actually did try the Glock 19 and just didn't like the feel... nothing against Glock people at all, just wasn't for me.

The only ones I haven't gotten my hands on are the Canik (though I have with the regular TP9SF and the TP9SF Elite Combat) and the CZ (have held and dry fired the P-10, just not the C). Of all of them, I would say that I liked the feel of the PPQ the best so far. I actually have a Springfield XD-M 10mm (5.25") and don't think the grip safety would be an issue for me, but I also haven't found the XD-M Elite Compact yet.

Thanks for all of the opinions and experience and feel free to keep them coming!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Has anyone tried to grip an XD of any kind?

I've never had an issue with the grip safety... even trying to grip it funky while dry fire training and I can't not get it to engage.

OP - a lot of great recommendations so far. Hit the range, rent some and see what's best for you.

I know a lot of people who run the XD just fine. I have also been the witness to quite a few who thought they had no problems until they were drawing from a holster in class under minimal pressure (usually a timer), and lo and behold the gun would not fire. Is this a training issue? Of course, most things are but most people also don't train.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I liked the feel of my ppq. I thought it had some of the best ergonomics of any of pistols I’ve owned. If it wasn’t a Q5 match model I very well could be carrying and training with the ppq instead of the M&P.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For me, it's one gun, the same gun all of the time.

The threat does not change with the season or whether I'm wearing a coat or t-shirt or barefoot in shorts.

I work outside year round in hot weather I carry a shield 45 smaller less noticeable less heat. In cooler weather I carry a CZ P10 F. More clothes, it's bigger and actually the heat factor is not as bad. If I set in AC all day I'd probably just carry the CZ P10F. But when it's 115 with heat index no thanks the smaller the better.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Just wanted to follow up and say that I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It prompted me to do a lot of thinking and shooting/dry-firing, as well as considering a lot of what was mentioned here. I surprised myself a little and ended up going with the Walther PPQ M1. Not only because I was able to get a great deal on one, but also because I went back to it several times and just couldn't get over how good it felt in my hand! I also was surprised that I liked the European style mag release (the difference between the M1 and M2), which I can actuate somewhat similarly to my ARs. I put the Trijicon night sights on it today (stock sights aren't great) and plan on taking it to the range tomorrow morning.

In case anyone cares, my runner-up was the Sig P320 XCompact... liked that gun a lot and shot it well right off the bat. I did not ignore any of the comments and did get my hands on a Glock 19 and the P365XL, but just decided that I liked the feel of the PPQ the best. Another thought in the back of my head was the question about a steel frame gun. I did actually hold a Walther Q4 SF at the gun shop and thought that if I want to spend the money for that in the future, it would be an easy transition from the PPQ. Basically identical to the PPQ except in all steel versus polymer.

Thanks again, I really did thoughtfully consider all of the input and appreciate it!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to follow up and say that I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It prompted me to do a lot of thinking and shooting/dry-firing, as well as considering a lot of what was mentioned here. I surprised myself a little and ended up going with the Walther PPQ M1. Not only because I was able to get a great deal on one, but also because I went back to it several times and just couldn't get over how good it felt in my hand! I also was surprised that I liked the European style mag release (the difference between the M1 and M2), which I can actuate somewhat similarly to my ARs. I put the Trijicon night sights on it today (stock sights aren't great) and plan on taking it to the range tomorrow morning.

In case anyone cares, my runner-up was the Sig P320 XCompact... liked that gun a lot and shot it well right off the bat. I did not ignore any of the comments and did get my hands on a Glock 19 and the P365XL, but just decided that I liked the feel of the PPQ the best. Another thought in the back of my head was the question about a steel frame gun. I did actually hold a Walther Q4 SF at the gun shop and thought that if I want to spend the money for that in the future, it would be an easy transition from the PPQ. Basically identical to the PPQ except in all steel versus polymer.

Thanks again, I really did thoughtfully consider all of the input and appreciate it!

Excellent choice! I believe you will really like it. The european mag release gets grief from Americans but how many people can drop a mag with the button without moving their shooting hand? Not many I bet.

I could actuate the european mag while maintaining my shooting grip. It just takes a minute to get used to it.

And they do feel great in the hand. And the size makes it a good "do it all" gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glad you got your choice sorted out. And as a reminder, you don't need to get the entire XL gun. A 365 XL grip module is fairly inexpensive (they are not the serial numbered part on a 365) and if I can swap it out, a monkey can do it (yes you need the opposable thumb, but that's about it).

I guess my only concern on your selection would be (if it were me, obviously you decide for yourself) training with the different mag release (paddle vs your other carry gun the 365 having the standard button) between your 2 guns. No issue with the paddle itself, but rather the going between the 2 that would be a concern for me. I like to keep as much as similar as I can on the motor activities.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Glad you got your choice sorted out. And as a reminder, you don't need to get the entire XL gun. A 365 XL grip module is fairly inexpensive and if I can swap it out, a monkey can do it (yes you need the opposable thumb, but that's about it).

I guess my only concern would be (if it were me, obviously you decide for yourself) training with the different mag release (paddle vs your other carry gun the 365 having the standard button) between your 2 guns. No issue with the paddle itself, but rather the going between the 2 that would be a concern for me. I like to keep as much as similar as I can on the motor activities.

web, that is a good point and one which I adhere to. If you recall, I am sticking with slingshotting the slide vs using the slide release lever due to the release working differently on different pistols.

That is also why both my range and primary carry have the exact same manual of arms.

And with my increased dry firing, I can attest to the fact that you can get some pretty ingrained movements with enough reps. I have been practicing reloads a lot lately and last weekend at the range I was performing my reloads very smooth and quick. Thing is, at home I'm not racking the slide in my practice, just dropping a mag and inserting a fresh one. So at the range, I dropped the mag, inserted a new one and stood there stupidly with my slide locked back.:)

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I thought the exact same thing on the European style mag release until I actually held one in my hands and used it. It's an ambidextrous paddle, which makes dropping the mag with my trigger finger feel a lot like it does with my ARs. In a way, it actually is a motion I practice a lot (I shoot my AR pistols a bit more than my P365), which is what convinced me to go that direction. I'll practice it and see if that theory holds, but I think I'm on to something and I won't know until I try.

Also, I do plan on carrying the PPQ as my EDC as soon as my holster arrives and I get comfortable shooting it, but I will also look into that XL grip module for my P365. Being non-serialized takes a lot of the PITA out of it!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ironically I was going to say how much I liked the PPQ M1 with the paddle mag release, but you beat me to it. I've carried a P10C for the last couple of years and really like it, but I have a PPQ M1 I'm going to give some holster time to as well, because I really enjoy that paddle mag release.

Top Bottom