• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    My Great Dane (18 weeks old) is having some stomach problems. Nothing serious, just loose and runny stool about two or three times a week. We have tried a couple different premium foods with no luck. He has a vet check in a couple weeks, but I was kind of thinking about giving a “raw” diet a go. Does anyone on here feed their dogs a “raw” diet? If so, what recipes are you using, and about how much does it cost per meal (or per week, etc). As you can imagine, he eats a lot. It is not practical to feed him at double or triple the cost unless it actually helps.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Years ago, my uncle had a Boston Terrier that he fed raw hamburger.
    Other than his occasional farts, he did fine on it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    And I should specify, I am more interested in doing a homemade food, using some basic grain (rise, oats, whatever) as filler. There is no way I could afford to feed that dog a true "raw" diet every day!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And I should specify, I am more interested in doing a homemade food, using some basic grain (rise, oats, whatever) as filler. There is no way I could afford to feed that dog a true "raw" diet every day!

If you use Google or any good search engine, there's a wealth of info on home made dog food.
    I bet there's something that would work for your dog.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like he has an upset stomach. Possibly because of something in the dog food. The one homemade food that I used to go with was one my vet recommended. Rice and ground meat. Overseas I used lamb, but you could just as easily get away with hamburger, (just be sure to drain it well. You could even rinse it). Add a bit of salt and you're good to go. It's also good for old dogs. Works well and you can make it in big batches.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I would have to agree with the rice and boiled beef...
    Every time my dogs have had loose stool, stomach issues rice and boiled beef seemed to help alot.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    when my dogs get upset stomachs i have always cooked up some chicken and mixed it with rice and cottage cheese. works every time. i feed them dog food called blue buffalo. u can order it to be specifically made for your breed of dog. helped my doby out a ton.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Have you tried giving your dog Pepto-Bismol? That's what my vet recommends if your dog has an upset stomach.

Not to the Dane. The vet recently prescribed my fiance's Papilion Pepto and anti-acid pills. $55 for 5 pills cut into quarters, and about 2oz of the Pepto. I just rolled my eyes, because she was thrilled it "wasn't super expensive to get her baby fixed".

I'm going to give him some chicken and rice and beef and rice the next couple days, then ease into a little bit of kibble and see how he does. Maybe less kibble will help, and I won't go bankrupt trying to buy him enough meat. I'm also going to check into Blue Buffalo. Maybe they will have a decent formula for Danes

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Cats, try cats.

Brilliant! Now I just need a supressor for my fiance's P22 and we can harvest the cats from the neighborhood! Food, exercise, entertainment, and an excuse to buy a supressor!

Onto seriousness, I fed him a bowl of rice and chicken. By weight it was about 60/40 with the majority being chicken. We boiled the chicken and put some of the boiled off fat on the rice. He loved it. He wasn't able to eat it as fast as the kibble, which is great since I am paranoid about bloat. To start we are going to keep with the chicken and rice, and a cup of dog food. We intend to cut down on the rice once we have more meat. I'm not sure whether we will cut out the dog food at this point. Im going to be doing a lot more research on the BARF diet (my phone autocorrected BARF to BATF lol). The papilions liked it as well, but one is really sensitive to food changes, so he only got a little. The other was already on chicken and rice, so he didn't know the difference.

Back to cats, my fiancee does like Asian food...

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Whole dog journal is also a fairly good source. Some dogs are allergic to chicken and chicken products (one of mine has horrible gas and bad runs with the tiniest amout of chicken). Beef and rice is always good.

Blue Buffalo is great. They also have a Wilderness brand, my girls love it. I will mix with rice and beef. Danes eat a lot.

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    Some domestic pets are allergic to the fillers in pet food. Brother-in-law has an older dog that's allergic to the corn used as a filler.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    The closest thing to "bagged" raw dog food is Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Very high protein, ZERO grains, low fat and fiber. I highly recommend it if you don't want to go through the hassle of feeding a raw diet as it can be exhaustive.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I second Kittys post, and here's a recipe that I use on all of ours if they have any sort of intestinal disorder, or just even just the runs, from changing from one dog food to another, if you don't do it slowly. We go thru this periodically with Benji, as he has a very sensitive stomach and food allergies as well.

I recently gave it to the Hamilton Co. Humane Society gal that I talked to, and she loved it. It will help balance out their diets, gives them lots of proteins as well as carbs and fiber to balance out their system. One of the things you don't want to do, is reduce the amount of fiber, or protein. As goofy as it sounds, more fiber will help it balance itself out in a very short period of time. If you want to go really lean and gentle, use either 90/10 ground beef, or ground lamb, but with the lamb, you may need to find a butcher to grind it up for you. (We have a D&R Market here that will do it for you), But absolutely NO pork products of any kind! I know it's the INGO motto, but with the dogs, you're just asking for more trouble than you already have. Pork is extremely HIGH in fat content, and will only make matters worse.

You can make this in big or small batches, and if you make a lot, then put it in single serving Ziplock baggies (quart or gallon, depending on the size of the dog, double bag it, (zipped side up for the inner one, and zipped side down for the outer one, and freeze it for future use, as it will go bad being that it's human food as well, with no preservatives.

Take 3 to 5 lbs lean ground beef and fry it up. DON'T boil it, you'll end up with good meat, but you'll practically destroy your pot and as with chicken, have a lot of "fat foam" that's hard as heck to scrub clean. Once it's fried, dump it into a metal colander and rinse it with the hottest water you have. Turn the thermostat up on your water heater for a bit if necessary. But rinse it very thoroughly to get all the excess fat off and out of it. Use the hand held sprayer if necessary, mixing it as you rinse it. Put that aside in a large bowl, as you'll be adding to it.

Next take out a dozen eggs and crack them open into a bowl, wisk it like you would for scrambled eggs, spray the frying pan with Pam, (or better yet, use a non-stick one to lessen the fat, and scramble them, NO milk products what so ever. It'll only cause more upset. Salt them if you want to, but it's not really necessary.

Combine the two ingredients you already have and set it aside again, with a lid on it, for the next ingredient to be added to it.

Take 3 to 4 bags of the "Ten Minute Boil in Bag Rice" and cook it, then drain it also under the hottest water, to get the excess starch off, you're using that for calories as well as for roughage. And as a good staple filler. Combine that into the already made beef and egg mixture.

Get 3 to 4 large containers of either large or small curd cottage cheese, and dump that in with others, to give it a bit of protein for the dairy part, but if you want to give their intestines a rest, then use the low fat cottage cheese as it's more bland than the other. Mix that in with the other ones as well, notice how big a batch of food you're beginning to accumulate. :): Stir in each food item as you add it.

Last but not least, especially if it's winter, get a large container of Quaker Oat Meal (raw) and prepare that as directed, make at least triple or quadruple what the recipe calls for. That's when you can add in the salt. Don't substitute grits, it doesn't have the nutrients that the oatmeal does.

Completely mix the entire thing together, and start out with small servings, every hour or so. Once the serving stays down and in for an hour, and their next poop isn't runny, slowly increase the amount you're feeding. But stick to small servings several times a day, as opposed to 1 to 2 big servings like they may usually eat. You want to introduce this slowly, and their body usually accepts it well.

Instead of Pepto (which is messy) you can use 1/2 to 1 tablet of Imodium to help firm it up, but your vet is going to have to be very open minded when you talk to them about using human meds on your dogs. Keep up this feeding until the dog has solid poops, for at least 1 day after the runs stop. While Pepto is good for stomach upsets, it doesn't do much for the "hirshey squirts", and make sure you check their stools for any type of black, tarry substances, which indicates either an intestinal bleed, or an ulcer. The Pepto will turn their stools black, so try and avoid that if at all possible.

You can make and tear up toasted bread to put into it as well, but with the oatmeal, it's sort of a moot point. If the poops don't clear up between 24 to 48 hours, take them to a vet you can trust, and don't fall for all the "preventative" measures (blood work, IV's, vaccineations, etc. that an over zelous vet may try to push on you. Use your common sense and you'll be fine. Oh, and while they're on this diet, absolutely NO other people food what so ever, not even a "little bit", or you may throw them off wack all over again. You'd be surprised at how little can cause such a bad upset to their system. And as I stated above, NO, and I mean NO fatty foods of any kind, regardless of how pitiful they will look at you while you eat. Limit the dog treats as well, until the problem is gone, Then you can start those out small as well.

As a added note, NO Rawhide, that can be swalowed and will swell in their stomach and intestines, and may cause a blockage. Just a FYI. I sincerely hope this helps, it's worked like a charm for us for many many years. kinda like making a "bran mash' does for horses.

Good luck and I hope your pup is back to normal and very healthy very soon!

Tail wags!
    7th Stepper

Top Bottom