• Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    NWI this is a feeler thread to gauge the level of interest in bring several medcial gunshot wound courses to NWI. The company in question (Welcome to Active Trauma Management!) is willing to travel to NWI to do the courses. NO LIVE FIRE IS DONE as such we do not need a range for this!

The purpose of this thread is to determine if we have enough members interested in this type of event before I attempt to coordinate the logistics of bring the event up here.

YOUR POST IN THIS THREAD IS NOT A CONFIRMATION TO THE COURSES. NOR IS IT YOUR COMMITTMENT TO THE COURSE.

So doe you guys & girls have an interested in seeing any of these courses in our area?

Info take straight from website
    Range Safety Trauma Care 1 (RSTC1)
    This half day course is designed for anyone who spends time on the range or around firearms. Very similar to Trauma Care 1 (a gunshot is a gunshot regardless of an active shooter or a negligent discharge) with the addition of caring for moderate injuries that are likely to be encountered (e.g. hand lacerations, brass burns). We also discuss the assembly of a first aid kit specifically for moderate to severe injuries (no aspirin or splinter care) that will likely be encountered on the range. Designed for those with little to no medical / first aid training. There are no prerequisites for this class.

Range Safety Trauma Care 2 (RSTC2)
    Prerequisite is RSTC 1. During this half day class we practice how to deal with incidents while on the line, or wound scenarios for those not running a range. We’ll look at your emergency plan, or assist you in developing one. This class will include a simulated injury while in a match or on the line, however (for insurance purposes) there is no live fire. The prerequisite is RSTC 1.

Trauma Care 1 (TC1)
    In this half day class (time is approximate, we train to a standard, not a preset time limit) some of what you will learn will be
    care for uncontrolled bleeding and shock
    chest trauma care
    infectious disease in plain English
    patient movement

We take a unique approach in breaking down the topics into short segments of interactive lecture and hands on skills in the classroom. We keep an instructor to student ratio that allows for personalized attention to make sure you understand what you’re doing. Using a combination of talk, demonstration, power points, and hands on we will focus on key skills that you will be able to walk away from class with and apply that day.
    There is some light background given in anatomy and physiology, but the focus is on enabling you to see an injury, recognize it, then apply a solution. There are no prerequisites for this class. It is designed for those with little to no medical / first aid training.

Trauma Care 2 (TC2)
    This is the next level of TC 1, where you have the opportunity to apply what you learned during TC 1 in scenarios. In this half day class you will be paired with other students and taken through scenarios in which you will need to safely move to a patient, establish security, treat the patient, then move them to a safer area.
    The prerequisite is Trauma Care 1.
    This class will involve some moderate exertion, including lifting patients. There is no live fire.

You need to be at least 21 years old for this class.
    Because there are applications of security principles you will need to provide proof of no felony record in the form of a police report from the Indiana State web site Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal History Search or a valid “license to carry handgun" or "carrying concealed weapon" permit from your state of residence. Application for a "license to carry handgun" can be made through your local law enforcement department. We are compliant with US Department of State ITAR regulations.
    We are not associated in any way with the State of Indiana or the Indiana state police.

I know the first question many of you will have is "how much!".
    The website list each course at $89 or if you take two together for $159.
    Note that is just the course which included material for you to take home (book info, etc.). Depending on where we hold it (ie. Cabela's conf. room, hotel conf. room, a hall, etc..) we still need to add the cost of that on top of the course. When we brought up the Comprenshive Indiana Gun Law course it was about $10 per person for the location. So right now an estimate would be close say no more than $175 for a full day of training of 2 courses. Again this depends on location. I don't forget seeing more than 15 people at an event like this based on prior events we have had in the area.

MAX students is 20 based on my decisions with the company. 12 is the ideal number based on instructor/student ratio.

--UPDATE--
    BTW it is possible to just sign up for part 1 (morning session) instead of doing both sessions so cost could come down to $89 to $100 as oppose to the higher amount. The company is willing to allow students to take just the 1st courses (ie. have say 20 students in the morning session and then less who wish to take part 2 as well that same day)

I know the next question will be "when".
    I do not have a time-frame for this yet but lets say winter of 2011 (October - December) as that would give people time to save up for the course, get time off, get the NWI MEET & SHOOTs out of the way, give us time to promote the event even more, hand out flyers, etc.

I know the last question will be "where".
    NWI off course! Anywhere we can get a conf. room and/or hall for FREE (best) or cheap (ok).

Cabela's Hammond full conf. room is $150 for the day
    Hotel near Cabela's conf. room is $200 for the day
    Lake County Public Library on US 30 has rooms and with the new laws in effect they can't tell us no guns. :rockwoot:

So what say you? Interested? Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?
    The

Last edited:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    FYI bass pro has a room and I think it is free... Also, I would be interested, and my girlfriend would probably like it too...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI... DISCLAIMER
    I am not associated with the company in question in the link above nor am I getting any type of commission/discount/money/anything in trying to bring the courses to NWI from them.

I saw the company link on INGO a while back, contacted them asking if they would be willing to travel to NWI and am taking the lead on this since I took the lead on the legal course we did up here several years back since I know many of us (NWI INGOers) can not make it to Indy where it seems all the "stuff" occurs.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Quite honestly I need a refresher on starting an IV and suturing. Of the courses listed in the OP I guess I'd have to go for the Range Safety Trauma classes, as that scenario is higher on the probability list than an active shooter situation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Trouble is Blythes is $200.00 plus $65 for the State of Utah. Seems kind of high.

Phil here is the information from groovatron on the class near lowell.

Bob Jackson Gold Shield Security
    The class is $150.00 and requires a 50.00 deposit due a week prior to class.
    The $50.00 is part of the $150.00 price tag. the class will be held in Ceder Lake at the Eagles Club.
    Class starts at 8am and will run till 11:30-12.

I believe he tries to have a class once a month. He may be willing to do a group discount if you got more than 5 or 6 involved. It wouldn't hurt to ask him.

His phone # is 219-374-4803

Address to send deposit:
    8108 W 147th Ave.
    Ceder Lake, IN, 46303

Make checks payable to Gold Shield

The class consists of some reading material and a few slides and videos. He also will show you some different pistol and ammo. He prefers you not to carry in the class because of issues in the past with people showing off their guns. I would CC and forget it. The class will be boring for most of you internet dorks because you already know all of the stuff he is going to lecture. :D

---
    ggggrrr hate to thread hijack my own thread but...
    How long is the UT permit valid for?

Bob will take your fingerprint card, photograph, and walk you through all the paper work. After the class, he sends you away with your packet all ready for the mail. All you have to do is seal it up and send it with your $65 and some change check to Utah. Normally, it takes about 60 days to receive the permit.

Bob is a very nice guy and I would recommend his class to anyone! He is happy to answer any question via telephone.

Also, if you set up a class and send him a deposit, he won't cash the check until after you complete the class.

SOURCE: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2006700#post2006777

----

ggggrrrr hate to thread hijack my own thread.
    But how long is the UT permit valid for?

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You guys should still look into the Arizona permit. Easy to take, and they accept the IN hunter's education card which can be done online. Total cost is much lower than the Utah classes and you get the same states with only perhaps 1 state different. Plus I had my card in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom