• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    No limits at the Kentucky spot that I know of, we had almost 30 both time I camped there.

What I am hoping to find if we don't go to Kentucky... is a gun carry friendly forest with few other people around and where we can walk to a spot of our choosing and camp in what ever manner we choose.

The Kentucky spot is all of those. Is there a place to camp "freestyle" in Indiana?

It could even be an INGOer's private property.

you might want to check out Patoka lake in Orange county, we go deer hunting every year.

Patoka Lake Indiana - Camping, Resorts, Cabin & Boat Rentals

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'd be interested but the Kentucky spot would be a bit to far.... By a few hours....

Oldest son is about old enough for a camp out... I have some vacation time that I could use depending on what is decided.

We had a camp out years ago on ingo but it was down near HNF and most if not all were Indy area and all agreed it was a bit far of a drive...

Personally I would perfer a place more centrally located like brown county.... Would give up not being able to shoot for a shorter drive.

Last edited:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow! This looks like a great time! Unfortunately, school starts back up for me here Monday, so I'll keep an eye open for dates! I, however, am also VERY new to the whole prepping mentality, so I would not be able to provide any info, but would LOVE to learn from many of you if I could attend. Would any knowledge be required to attend, or would this be for anyone who wished to?

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Morgan Monroe State Forest just south of Martinsville is a quick and easy trip from Indy. Your also allowed to camp on one of the hiking trails. Shorter drive equals more time in the woods and more members possibly coming out.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm interested!
    Yellowwood state forest is nice for primitive camping. Not sure if your allowed to camp outside of the "campgrounds" though, if that matters. Decent hiking trails.
    If your interested in State Parks, consider McCormicks, Turkey run, Spring Mill, and I've heard good things about Clifty Falls.
    I'd be good just about anywhere, including Kentucky, but if we want a larger turnout, I'd say stay in Indiana.

Great idea!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I open the floor for other suggestions...
    You are going too far too fast for a first time group of strangers and you will get a smaller turn out.

It is an Indiana forum so by definition a spot in Indiana is closer to more people. Choose a spot that allows easy camping, more will turn out. Avoid State parks, a lot of these guys will have guns no matter what rules you lay down.

The location I gave you allows you to do all the things you listed. An easy base camp for Friday arrivals and those who can only come one day/one night on Saturday. some guys will drop by only for the day on Saturday etc.... Multiple camp sights so grab as many as you need, the place will be empty. Trails that run right by the location OR you can drive south to to other locations, park and head out for a day or two of primitive in HNF. Don't turn it into a big dump your mags shoot or let it go that way.

Doing the above, you will end up splitting the group after day one, but if you only do what you are saying, you will reduce turnout by 75% anyway. I would never show up for what you propose with a group of strangers for many, many reasons. Guns or no guns, alcohol or no alcohol, hiking or not, primitive camping or not.

Last thing I want to do is show up to an event with alcohol, trigger packs and Federal CI's. It happens

There are reasons why I have not publicly hosted another event since 2003, but I have friendships and many get togethers that formed from the ones I did host a decade ago.

If you build in some meet and greet time, groups of like minded and skilled people will form up sub-groups and friendships from the first event. There will be more after that but they will be private, you will never seem on a public thread. No need for that. If you already know 30 who would possibly show up, you have no reason to do this anyway.

If you go commando in winter with strangers, you may just end up hauling someones ass out of the woods to the ER and the fun is over. All it takes is one .223 round and a 1lb propane canister. Alcohol and an axe. Drugs and fire. Combine them all and it gets even bigger faster.

Just some thoughts for you.

Last edited:

Aspirations

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Demotte
    I'm interested!
    Yellowwood state forest is nice for primitive camping. Not sure if your allowed to camp outside of the "campgrounds" though, if that matters. Decent hiking trails.
    If your interested in State Parks, consider McCormicks, Turkey run, Spring Mill, and I've heard good things about Clifty Falls.
    I'd be good just about anywhere, including Kentucky, but if we want a larger turnout, I'd say stay in Indiana.

Great idea!

Definitely keep it in Indiana, us up north wouldn't wanna drive all the way to Kentucky, but somewhere in central Indiana would probably work for all of us.:yesway:

Top Bottom