• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i just bought a FEG hipower clone, is this gun safe to carry with the hammer down? im left handed and i dont have a ambi safety installed yet, and what are a good choice on magazines(no promags), lefty holsters that kinda thing its all i have so any help would be appreciated as i have no clue what im doing, and no i will not carry until ive had some training, i know i need that thanks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If its the true HP clone...then hammer down = useless.

If its the DA/SA look alike, then hammer down is preferable.

True HP clone = HP mags will work. Otherwise, good luck finding them!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If its the true HP clone...then hammer down = useless.

If its the DA/SA look alike, then hammer down is preferable.

True HP clone = HP mags will work. Otherwise, good luck finding them!
    He stated he was a lefty with no ambi safety so cocked and locked would probably take him longer than thumbing the hammer.

Your questions about everything else I can't help with, not a lefty, and don't own a FEG. Hope you enjoy it though HP's are fine looking weapons.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The FEG clone I had years ago was a single action pistol like the FN models. Factory Browning, FN or MecGar mags are the way to go. I don't think my FEG had a firing pin safety like the newer Browning MkIIIs. On the MkIIIs the gun will not fire unless the trigger is depressed. By this I mean that even if the hammer were to slip the sear the gun would not fire with the trigger being back. So I am not sure the FEG would be drop safe if the hammer were down/uncocked. I very well could be wrong. Cocked and locked is the way to go if you can get an ambi safety. Otherwise "Isreali" carry (i.e. condition 3)? I did carry the gun in half cock, but I have become wiser since then.

Of course condition butterscotch would be safe as well.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    IM kinda worried apparently some FEGs look just like a hi power but have a smith operating system, there SA but have no cross bolt? i dont know im not home to check it out.:dunno: and its driving me crazy.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    IM kinda worried apparently some FEGs look just like a hi power but have a smith operating system, there SA but have no cross bolt? i dont know im not home to check it out.:dunno: and its driving me crazy.

look at the slide, if there is a pin in the middle of the rear serrations, you have a smith style model

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ya i know it's not double action i was wondering if the hi power was ok to thumb the hammer.

Yes, it is OK to thumb the hammer. Won't hurt anything.

But I sincerely urge you to consider either having the gun fitted with an ambidextrous safety or carrying another pistol.

Believing that you will have the time and motor skills to accomplish a draw stroke to include thumbing the hammer back is, mildly, nuts.

Proper firing grips, from retention, don't position the hand to be able to cock the hammer. Likewise, a grip that will accommodate cocking the hammer isn't an ideal firing grip.

I also urge you to seek out more opinions on this. Inquire of those who teach firearms skills for their advice.

Don't want to see you or your family get hurt (or worse).

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Yes, it is OK to thumb the hammer. Won't hurt anything.

But I sincerely urge you to consider either having the gun fitted with an ambidextrous safety or carrying another pistol.

Believing that you will have the time and motor skills to accomplish a draw stroke to include thumbing the hammer back is, mildly, nuts.

Proper firing grips, from retention, don't position the hand to be able to cock the hammer. Likewise, a grip that will accommodate cocking the hammer isn't an ideal firing grip.

I also urge you to seek out more opinions on this. Inquire of those who teach firearms skills for their advice.

Don't want to see you or your family get hurt (or worse).
    that was my plan when i find the part.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I think I will keep my opinion about how to carry it to myself. The HP is my favorite 9mm though. Big fan of John Moses Browning. You are going to have a lot of trouble finding mags though. I had 4 and a couple days after everything got crazy and cheaper than dirt was completely sold out of everything, I called Mec Gar directly and had 2 more mags shipped. Either get Mec Gar or Browning. The Browning mags are twice the price and aren't any better. IMO.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Mags are difficult, but not impossible to find. I recently picked a couple Mec-Gars up at a gun show, and for regular Midway pricing. My high-power came with 2 browning mags, and I much prefer the Mec-Gar.

As far as carry, its not any different than a 1911, or any other single action auto. Cocked and locked. Get an ambi safety before you start to carry it, lowering the hammer on a live round is risky business, and a good way to accidentally put a bullet where you dont intend.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Mags are difficult, but not impossible to find. I recently picked a couple Mec-Gars up at a gun show, and for regular Midway pricing. My high-power came with 2 browning mags, and I much prefer the Mec-Gar.

As far as carry, its not any different than a 1911, or any other single action auto. Cocked and locked. Get an ambi safety before you start to carry it, lowering the hammer on a live round is risky business, and a good way to accidentally put a bullet where you dont intend.

Good advice, carry cocked and locked or chamber empty but don't try to lower the hammer. If it's actually one of the FEG PJK-9HP's than it is compatible with mags. I know Elmores has an older cylinder & slide ambi safety for HP's that has been on their peg forever maybe they'll deal on it for you.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    thanks guys, i know cdnn had some mags a bit ago, but unfortunately i cant look at the gun for most likely 3 weeks. so im flying by the seat of my pants here. but i know for sure it takes hi power mags

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

that's what i though, that's why i bought it it functions like a 1911, from what ive researched it has no drop safety just like a series 70.

Top Bottom