• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has a sock, which is supposed to last the life of the pump. I could pull the pump I have the knowledge and tools, but I really don't want to unnecessarily, as it could lead to more issues (like breaking things... I'm as good at that as I am fixing.)

EDIT, this was supposed to be part of the last reply... I goofed.

Any project on a vehicle that old will result in more projects.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Chain.

UNLESS... the hydraulic timing tensioner lost it's prime and the cams lagged behind until the prime came back??? I'm trying to think how that might be possible but it... I would expect chain slap noise and there wasn't.

I was thinking hydraulic lifters loosing prime but for a whole set. Hmmmm

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I was thinking hydraulic lifters loosing prime but for a whole set. Hmmmm

I thought of that... but the Toyota 1zzfe has solid "lifters", no prime to lose.

Adjusting clearance requires measuring all 16 very carefully then ordering new caps of the appropriate thickness as needed and pulling the cams to swap them.

Royal PITA.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    1zzfe has solid "lifters". Adjusting clearance requires measuring all 16 very carefully then ordering all new caps of the appropriate thickness and pulling the cams to swap them. Royal PITA.

I guess that runs out them leaking down. Sounds like the kind of lifters in a Toyota V6.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That old??? That is newer than any of my vehicles... Just worked on my 88 the other day. Finally switching over to nicop brake lines. The steel ones just keep rusting out.

Out past 10 years and things break and bend when you try and move them around. Like you said, brake lines and hoses are at the end of the designed duty cycle. Plug wires crack when you move them. Vacuum lines do as well. Connections and grounds get crusty. Bolts break on exhaust. Shocks are hard as heel to get off. Just the way of things.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Silly question, but have you checked the starter? A failing starter can free spin. I don't see any other way the starter can spin freely if the spark plugs are still in the engine and everything else is functioning properly.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Out past 10 years and things break and bend when you try and move them around. Like you said, brake lines and hoses are at the end of the designed duty cycle. Plug wires crack when you move them. Vacuum lines do as well. Connections and grounds get crusty. Bolts break on exhaust. Shocks are hard as heel to get off. Just the way of things.

I know about Indiana locktite. Problem is my newest vehicle is 18 years old. I make do repairing what I have. Just need a bluetip wrench. It seems to loosen up everything. I guess it is a different style of mechanic to work on the older stuff. Ha I remember when the older stuff meant a point ignition.

When I picked up my new to me truck I can't see paying $50,000 for a new one. Man that is a lot of money. Yea 50k is high. Look at what a new diesel F250 runs. 50k is about in the ballpark. Ouch. I am working my way into not making a car/truck (monthly) payment again.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    realize I am a little late to the party, but if it is as you say and your engine is spinning freely until it gets warmed up a bit, you should check compression. I realize you are supposed to check compression when the engine is hot, but you need 120psi minimum for combustion to occur. If you're not reading 120psi cold then you know the problem is going to be internal.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    realize I am a little late to the party, but ifstart as you say and your engine is spinning freely until it gets warmed up a bit, you should check compression. I realize you are supposed to check compression when the engine is hot, but you need 120psi minimum for combustion to occur. If you're not reading 120psi cold then you know the problem is going to be internal.

Not sure where you got the until warmed up part, the issue is a 1 in 1000 starts malfunction. the car has a good motor, but I will do a compression test.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    realize I am a little late to the party, but if it is as you say and your engine is spinning freely until it gets warmed up a bit, you should check compression. I realize you are supposed to check compression when the engine is hot, but you need 120psi minimum for combustion to occur. If you're not reading 120psi cold then you know the problem is going to be internal.

I worked on a friends truck. V8 with a completely worn out engine. Towed it in and did a compression check. All the cylinders were anywhere from 30-60 psi. I pulled the plugs and gave the cylinders a shot of oil. It would fire right up. Would start every time unless he let it sit for a week or better. Then you had to hit the cylinders with oil again.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My explorer does the free spinning thing occasionally also, the first time was 250 miles from home, talk about seat pucker! Only done it twice and never failed to start on the next turn of the key but I'll keep the cam sensor someone mentioned upstream filed away for future reference. It'll be interesting to see the solution on this one!

Top Bottom