• ...and so much more!
  • Grizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2017
    Indiana
    This question is for Mr. Freeman.

My brother went and got himself busted again. This time for possession of Methamphetamine. This one is here in St. Joseph County, Indiana(the previous in Illinois). I'm not so certain that he will be lucky enough to escape both cases without a felony conviction especially since this second one involves meth.

He has now come to live with me in hopes that I can help him straighten out his life path. If he is to be convicted on felony charges and continues to live with me after he serves his time, will I need to remove all firearms from my home and property?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am not Kirk; I have neither the rakish good looks nor the JD after my name.

That said, I believe as long as he does not have access (locked in a safe to which he has neither combination nor key, for example) you would be ok. I answer in spite of not being Kirk only because I recall this or similar questions asked previously. I welcome correction if I am mistaken.

Blessings,
    Bill

My brother went and got himself busted again. This time for possession of Methamphetamine. This one is here in St. Joseph County, Indiana(the previous in Illinois). I'm not so certain that he will be lucky enough to escape both cases without a felony conviction especially since this second one involves meth.

He has now come to live with me in hopes that I can help him straighten out his life path. If he is to be convicted on felony charges and continues to live with me after he serves his time, will I need to remove all firearms from my home and property?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I can not answer as to your issues with the firearms.
    What I will say is you are in for a rough ride as you can not straighten someone out with a drug habit. It is totally up to them what they do and you might only be a crutch in his issues. Do not enable him. Set the rules and stay strong.

I wish you well in this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Assuming arguendo that your brother and room mate becomes a prohibited person, then it within your best interest to ensure that there is no way that your prohibited person brother could access your firearms or ammunition. I do not recommend keeping them on your property. Perhaps off-site, friend's house or safe in a storage unit.

I have stored a friend's firearms for a buddy who had a son who had a run-in with law enforcement. Counseling and a hitch in the USN sorted him out and he mustered out with a trade (his problem was knuckleheadedness, not addiction) and the young man is a upstanding, productive member of Tippecanoe County now.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A stint in the military has straightened out knuckleheadness in many of us.

dozer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Sellersburg
    I remember a time long ago that going into the military was actually a way to get out of trouble... service or jail your choice( something like pre trial diversion just 2-4 years long). Now good luck getting in with criminal history I was to be an artillery range finder but family medical history did me in.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I remember serving with some of these fine folks...wish they had made it harder back then. Nothing like bringing criminals into your organization to make it more criminal. More than a few of them went off to prison anyway.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Does an air rifle or air pistol qualify as a firearm in Indiana or by Feds? They make some darn fine PCP Rifle's and Pistols these days that are about as fun to shoot as a firearm, with integral silencers built in because they are not considered firearms so that may answer my own question. Nice to shoot without bothering neighbors with a quiet air rifle or pistol. Anyway, if shooting is a preferred activity to bond over, then air guns may provide an equally fun activity.

Examples of modern air rifles. Some you can hunt with. Pre-Charged Pneumatic Air Rifles | PCP Rifles - PyramydAir.com

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Does an air rifle or air pistol qualify as a firearm in Indiana or by Feds? They make some darn fine PCP Rifle's and Pistols these days that are about as fun to shoot as a firearm, with integral silencers built in because they are not considered firearms so that may answer my own question. Nice to shoot without bothering neighbors with a quiet air rifle or pistol. Anyway, if shooting is a preferred activity to bond over, then air guns may provide an equally fun activity.

Examples of modern air rifles. Some you can hunt with. Pre-Charged Pneumatic Air Rifles | PCP Rifles - PyramydAir.com

No, no explosion=no firearm.

Yep. And unless the conviction in IN is a "serious violent felon" black powder muzzle loaders or cap and ball pistols are good to go as well.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Sec. 5. (a) As used in this section, “serious violent felon” means a person who has been convicted of:
    (1) committing a serious violent felony in: (A) Indiana; or
    (B) any other jurisdiction in which the elements of the crime for which the conviction was entered are substantially similar to the elements of a serious violent felony; or
    (2) attempting to commit or conspiring to commit a serious violent felony in:
    (A) Indiana as provided under IC 35-41-5-1 or IC 35-41-5-2; or
    (B) any other jurisdiction in which the elements of the crime for which the conviction was entered are substantially similar to the elements of attempting to commit or conspiring to commit a serious violent felony.
    (b) As used in this section, “serious violent felony” means: (1) murder (IC 35-42-1-1);
    (2) voluntary manslaughter (IC 35-42-1-3);
    (3) reckless homicide not committed by means of a vehicle (IC 35-42-1-5);
    (4) battery (IC 35-42-2-1) as a:
    (A) Class A felony, Class B felony, or Class C felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 2 felony, Level 3 felony, Level 4 felony, or Level 5 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (5) domestic battery (IC 35-42-2-1.3) as a Level 2 felony, Level 3 felony, Level 4 felony, or Level 5 felony; (6) aggravated battery (IC 35-42-2-1.5);
    (7) kidnapping (IC 35-42-3-2);
    (8) criminal confinement (IC 35-42-3-3); (9) rape (IC 35-42-4-1);
    (10) criminal deviate conduct (IC 35-42-4-2) (before its repeal); (11) child molesting (IC 35-42-4-3);
    (12) sexual battery (IC 35-42-4-8) as a:
    (A) Class C felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 5 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (13) robbery (IC 35-42-5-1);
    (14) carjacking (IC 5-42-5-2) (before its repeal); (15) arson (IC 35-43-1-1(a)) as a:
    (A) Class A felony or Class B felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 2 felony, Level 3 felony, or Level 4 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (16) burglary (IC 35-43-2-1) as a:
    (A) Class A felony or Class B felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 1 felony, Level 2 felony, Level 3 felony, or Level 4 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014; (17) assisting a criminal (IC 35-44.1-2-5) as a:
    (18) resisting law enforcement (IC 35-44.1-3-1) as a:
    (A) Class B felony or Class C felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 2 felony, Level 3 felony, or Level 5 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (19) escape (IC 35-44.1-3-4) as a:
    (A) Class B felony or Class C felony, for a crime committed before July 1, 2014; or
    (B) Level 4 felony or Level 5 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (20) trafficking with an inmate (IC 35-44.1-3-5) as a:
    (21) criminal organization intimidation (IC 35-45-9-4); (22) stalking (IC 35-45-10-5) as a:
    (B) Level 4 felony or Level 5 felony, for a crime committed after June 30, 2014;
    (23) incest (IC 35-46-1-3);
    (24) dealing in or manufacturing cocaine or a narcotic drug (IC 35-48-4-1);
    (25) dealing in methamphetamine (IC 35-48-4-1.1);
    (26) dealing in a schedule I, II, or III controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-2);
    (27) dealing in a schedule IV controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-3); or
    (28) dealing in a schedule V controlled substance (IC 35-48-4-4).

(c) A serious violent felon who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm commits unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon, a Level 4 felony. As added by P.L.247-1999, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.14-2000, SEC.76; P.L.17-2001, SEC.17; P.L.222-2001, SEC.5; P.L.151-2006, SEC.21; P.L.126-2012, SEC.58; P.L.158-2013, SEC.590; P.L.214-2013, SEC.40; P.L.168-2014, SEC.88; P.L.25-2016, SEC.26; P.L.65-2016, SEC.39.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom