FEMA says prepare for TEN days in case of disaster.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We can go a lot longer than 30 days and I'm not expecting any visitors. Dropping a tree near the end of the driveway should add additional discouragement.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Interesting, except for the price. That's a killer for me. I like my crackers and all, but maybe not that well.

Water crackers are your best store bought option. They were originally made by the English for long sea voyages. No butter is used in them so they won't spoil as quickly.
    Will have to look into these. Never heard of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand your cynicism, but I think this actually has a more legitimate reason. The current coronavirus spread is making the idea of having to isolate for a substantial period of time a lot more likely. From that point of view, 10 days is actually very much on the low side.

One way to get past space limitations is to produce instead. Since you have your own home, you should consider water barrels to capture rain and an in-home filter to purify it.

We have the barrels in place to water the garden from. Still looking at a filter set up.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Space is an issue here as well. If I could rid my mother of her [STRIKE] hoarding of cr@p errr beading [/STRIKE]bartering supplies not touched in 2 years... I could store enough that i am more comfortable.

Are you sure she is not just stocking up for bartering with the Indians? Maybe she is one step ahead of you.

01a6ff63a042d80262fc5613c01f7c2b.jpg

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    My goal (maybe to be achieved sooner rather than later) is to have a canned food storage wall like this:
    https://imgur.com/a/JKvNG7v

(If anybody can fix the above link for a photo, I would appreciate it. The 2005 photo-hosting antiquity strikes again.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Very nice looking, but if anyone is thinking of building something like it, give some thought to the different size cans you store. It doesn't appear to be a flexible design.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The idea is brilliant, lots of flexibility based on your construction skills and imagination. My favorite part is how it automatically rotates your cans. That was just one example.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    10 days as a solution for a nation in turmoil is a joke. That's not even enough to get you through the quarantine period. Only a weeks worth past the stores running out of food.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Slowly increase the pain to minimize the panic. My wife had no idea what was going on, as the politics makes her so mad she ignores the news. (I am a junkie).

Panic is starting, based on my n=1 search for powdered eggs and milk.

Wait until the sheeple see their French fries get expensive due to potato shortages (separate from the virus)

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Upgraded: From another .gov, we are told to prep for 14 DAYS of Water & Food.

FEMA's page has a link to ready.gov, click on "Human Coronavirus" icon there: Pandemic | Ready.gov
    I don't know how long this info has been available.

Copied/pasted the first part of it, below.

"Pandemic

Before a Pandemic

• Store a two week supply of water and food."

Top Bottom