• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    I have a female co-worker who is interested in buying her first fire arm. She knows very little about fire arms and I feel it my duty to help her along being that I had a co worker help me along when I first was interested in fire arms. The problem I am running in to is that I feel more encouraged to teach her, than she is to learn.
    She reports to me at work, and said she wanted my approval before she carried at work, I've always had a pretty lax carry policy for my employees provided I felt that other co-workers would not be in danger of the person with the fire arm.
    I am totally confident she will be responsible, I just don't want her to go out and make a bad decision on a gun she will never use, or take advice from another male who may not have a females point of view on fire arms for females. Any one been in a situation like this before? I am not a lady therefore do not know what is the perfect carry piece for a lady though I have some ideas. At the current point we have gone over calibers and different brands of guns, we have yet to go to the range and she has only handled a few of my guns. What steps would you take next outside of going to the range, and handling some other fire arms?

Andy advice would be greatly appreciated!

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    I would put a .22 in her hands at the range and work up from there just to get her comfortable with noise, weight, etc..

That was my thought, I was also planning on taking her to an outdoor range, I've found for my wife the first time to an indoor range is overly loud, and kind of scary if it is busy. Thanks for the tip, now I have a reason to go buy a .22 :rockwoot:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That was my thought, I was also planning on taking her to an outdoor range, I've found for my wife the first time to an indoor range is overly loud, and kind of scary if it is busy. Thanks for the tip, now I have a reason to go buy a .22 :rockwoot:
    You don't have one? If you were closer I would let you borrow a few

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    You don't have one? If you were closer I would let you borrow a few

Pretty new to the firearm realm. Been into it for about a year and i've got 4 guns. 2 pistols a rifle and a 12 gauge. Thank goodness Santa is coming soon, thanks for the offer for the .22's :D

I also told my co-worker to join ingo, I got some of the best information from this forum and provided you take some time and respect people EVERYONE here is super insightful and they all provide great info!

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I would drive her to 21st in Bluffton and tell her to handle everything she sees and buy what she feels fits her. Then ask around about training classes for her. They will have advice on training there as well.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    There's whole stigma of felt recoil, and someone finding the motivation, or enthusiasm to continue practicing on a regular basis with the carry gun. Hopefully, she will find a handgun that she enjoys taking to the range for practice, and often.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    There's whole stigma of felt recoil, and someone finding the motivation, or enthusiasm to continue practicing on a regular basis with the carry gun. Hopefully, she will find a handgun that she enjoys taking to the range for practice, and often.

Limalife just posted a video covering recoil and related issues that may affect/trouble new female shooters:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZO4XMy7H6Y[/ame]

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    Does she have any experience firing a gun?

She said she has shot before, with her dad, but I think it was just a few bang bang's rather than education and training. She fired once. This is why I feel obligated to teach and train her before she makes a purchase and starts carrying.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    She said she has shot before, with her dad, but I think it was just a few bang bang's rather than education and training. She fired once. This is why I feel obligated to teach and train her before she makes a purchase and starts carrying.
    If you take her shooting and I hope you do, make sure to take the earmuffs off for a shot or two so she knows how loud different guns can be.

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    If you take her shooting and I hope you do, make sure to take the earmuffs off for a shot or two so she knows how loud different guns can be.

Wow great idea. I've done this but never thought of doing it for a new shooter. You guys are great really! I will make sure to update everyone as soon as we hit the range. I think we will start with a .22 then move up to a .380 and on to a 9mm.

Thanks again for all the info!

P.S. keep the ideas coming!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It would be good if you can find some members in the area, maybe let you try some of their guns. While they're there of course. Maybe an INGO Meet & Shoot.
    I'd let you try some of mine, but I'm a couple hours away.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Take her to Freedom Firearms or the range up in Garrett (327 & SR8 behind the Blue Moon). And I'd recommend skipping the .380 and go from .22 to .9mm My .380 is harder to shoot than my .45.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Good on you

Good on you for helping a beginner get started. I've introduced a couple of friends to shooting but have always suggested they get some training from a certified instructor, particularly with handguns, if they intend to buy one. Sorta' reminds me of an old golf adage. "The problem with many 16 handicappers is they tend to take lessons from a 12". Turn 'em onto a pro! :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am not a lady therefore do not know what is the perfect carry piece for a lady
    In the end, it will be the largest caliber that she can proficiently control and carry in a manner that she chooses.

I disagree with that ^.
    No amount of "let's compare loud to loud" for the sake of "education" is worth the risk of damaging your eardrum and forever impairing your hearing.
    Every trigger pull will create a shockwave that WILL affect the inner ear. Even the lowly .22.
    Just don't do it.
    If you want to for yourself, BY YOURSELF, have at it. But don't do that to someone who doesn't understand that the ringing might not ever go away...and will only increase in intensity and volume as they age. Wouldn't you feel like crap for creating that?
    Just don't.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    No amount of "let's compare loud to loud" for the sake of "education" is worth the risk of damaging your eardrum and forever impairing your hearing.
    Every trigger pull will create a shockwave that WILL affect the inner ear. Even the lowly .22.
    Just don't do it.
    If you want to for yourself, BY YOURSELF, have at it. But don't do that to someone who doesn't understand that the ringing might not ever go away...and will only increase in intensity and volume as they age. Wouldn't you feel like crap for creating that?
    Just don't.

This times a 1,000!!!

To the OP, drive her to Tomlinson's in Churubusco and see Jetgirl, she will get some great advice and get to see a great selection of handguns.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    In the end, it will be the largest caliber that she can proficiently control and carry in a manner that she chooses.

I disagree with that ^.
    Just don't do it.
    Just don't.
    Do you think a shot or two outside would be that bad? I definitely was not talking about an indoor range. I should have been deaf 20 years ago before I knew about the pleasure of ear protection.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I disagree with that ^.
    Just don't do it.
    Just don't.

I have "tinnitus" and I agree 100%... I have NEVER done this with a new shooter. :twocents:

Top Bottom