• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They shouldn't be required to do what the males are required to do to be in the Corps, they just shouldn't be allowed into a combat zone unless they do.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had my two little grand daughters in my chair reading them a book. I cannot wrap my mind around my government drafting them and sending them to a combat role. "Rosie the Riveter" maybe, but not G.I. Jane. I may not live to see that, but I am sure it is around the corner. It just does not seem natural to me.

On the other side of the coin, I have a grandson that has been a wild man since he left the womb. He loves smashing stuff and any kind of fighting/wrestling/ competition, etc. he can find. He is fast learning and cannot wait to try out anything he learns. Anything that makes big noises, having lots of power and taking big risks delights him to the very core. I can see him enlisting just for the excitement. That seems natural.

I know that these feelings are pretty old fashioned, but they seem right to me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News

Females in the Marine Corps currently are not required to do pull-ups as part of their physical training, and a deadline mandating that they do at least 3 pull-ups by Jan. 1, 2014 as part of their training has been delayed for at least a year, the Corps quietly announced on social media
    CHESTY, is ROLLING over in his grave..... SOMETHING changed in the USMC ?????

SURELY, you jest ..... ( the female "dead-hang" has been since B4 I was in ..... 1977-1981) .....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CHESTY, is ROLLING over in his grave..... SOMETHING changed in the USMC ?????

SURELY, you jest ..... ( the female "dead-hang" has been since B4 I was in ..... 1977-1981) .....

I was in 1977-1981.
    Main duty station- "Beautiful Beaufort down by the Sea"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Didn't we have to do more than 3 pull-ups?

I've slept since then, but I'd SWEAR I remember doing more than 3 pull-ups!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News

Females in the Marine Corps currently are not required to do pull-ups as part of their physical training, and a deadline mandating that they do at least 3 pull-ups by Jan. 1, 2014...

They've still got four days left before Jan 1 2014, and they can't get 3 pull-ups done in 4 days?
    I mean, that's a whole day to rest up between pull-ups.

Even the "Look at ME" generation should have more get-up-n-go than THAT!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    "Oh... you can do 3 pull ups? Yep... you are combat ready!"

Kind of a silly indicator anyway if you ask me.....

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I was in Basic a Leonard Wood they had a pullup bar by the mess hall entrance. You had to do four pullups before going inside. A Sgt was there to harass the guys who couldn't do it. (1960)

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I had my two little grand daughters in my chair reading them a book. I cannot wrap my mind around my government drafting them and sending them to a combat role. "Rosie the Riveter" maybe, but not G.I. Jane. I may not live to see that, but I am sure it is around the corner. It just does not seem natural to me.

On the other side of the coin, I have a grandson that has been a wild man since he left the womb. He loves smashing stuff and any kind of fighting/wrestling/ competition, etc. he can find. He is fast learning and cannot wait to try out anything he learns. Anything that makes big noises, having lots of power and taking big risks delights him to the very core. I can see him enlisting just for the excitement. That seems natural.

I know that these feelings are pretty old fashioned, but they seem right to me.

I would do everything in my power to keep my kids from being drafted into a senseless war that politicians started. If they join the military on their own free will, that's one thing, but for them to be drafted? No. I'd get a fake birth certificate for myself and I would enlist so they wouldn't have to if it could be done that way.

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I remember my drill instructor kicking some ass if you only did 3 pull ups he would wear you ass out,I use to do 20 pull ups,80 sit ups in 2 min.,3 mile run under 18:00min

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Way I see it, if so many(not all, keep your pants on) of them want to act so powerful
    and independent then they can meet the same standards.
    The threat of death and the presence of evil is no less
    so why should any standard be less. For example, if
    they are going into law enforcement they have to pass the
    same pt standards as the men, BC out on the street the BG
    doesn't care if it's a female. Quite frankly, they may be
    more likely to attempt overpowering them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Oh... you can do 3 pull ups? Yep... you are combat ready!"

Kind of a silly indicator anyway if you ask me.....

The military is a bureaucracy. "Easy to administer and score" is much more important than "shows you can do your job." The standards are the same if you are a 21 year old cook hefting a spatula or a 21 year old bridge engineer hefting Bailey Bridge pieces or a medic supporting armor who needs to heft an injured soldier out of a tank hatch. They are overkill for many positions and woefully inadequate for many others. But they are easy to administer and score.

Folks will get worked up over females not having to pass the same standards as males. They will ignore that a 36 year old has different standards than an 18 year old, even if they are in the same job.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Folks will get worked up over females not having to pass the same standards as males. They will ignore that a 36 year old has different standards than an 18 year old, even if they are in the same job.

A 36 year old in the military will not be a front line grunt but will be in some sort of leadership role and therefore not likely to be at the tip of the spear. If they aren't in some sort of leadership role they'd have been washed out. The military has an expectation of career progression.

I don't disagree with the standards being out of whack for different roles in the military, one size does not fit all as it relates to job description. The reality is combat is physically strenuous and not only for the survival of the individual. Physical strength may very well be required to preserve the life of another. If a person wants to fill that role they need to meet the requirements. This is just a continuation of the "everyone gets a ribbon" mentality which has undermined this country over the last 20 years. I have zero issues with a woman going into combat provided she is physically capable, allowing them in simply because they want to is BS.

I don't know what specifically pull ups have to do with being combat ready. I served six years on active duty with the Army but never saw combat. I'm not so arrogant as to assume that I know more about what it takes (or doesn't) to survive in that environment than the U.S. Marine Corps, logic tells me they've got just a bit more experience than I do.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It's the wrong era for any kind of standard. This is NOT an era where it's ok to try to establish or maintain ANY kind of standard for ANYthing. This is not an era of trying to expect more from people, of trying to raise people to meet a standard. This an era of lowering the standards to meet the individual or group who might otherwise be excluded, who might claim that the standard is unfair. This is the era of participation trophies, games where everyone can win, games that don't allow someone to be chosen last or to "lose". I don't know why the USMC thinks they're immune and might be able to establish or maintain standards. I also think the USMC has been horribly remiss in failing to consult the Interweb discussion forums about their standards, and for failing to hold focus groups full of people who have no idea what it means to be called a Marine, no idea what they're trying to do. It's ALMOST like their main goal isn't to build an all-inclusive support group where everyone holds hands and sings James Taylor songs. Ridiculous. I say do away with all of these ridiculous standards.

Top Bottom