• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    A little background...
    I got a new place to hunt this year across the field from my sister's house. My brother in law knows the guy and got me connected with him. It's just a small 15 acre woods, but it's better than nothing.

So I'm out this morning, and it is looking to be a perfect day. Only 1 problem. The guy who owns the adjacent property to the east has a stand up in the fence row, turned so that he can obviously pick the deer off on my side of the fence. (-1 fence sitter)My blind is about 85 yards away from the fence, sitting just inside the woods. I watch this guy all morning, and he can't sit still if his life depended on it. Sit down, stand up, turn around 360 degrees, stretch his legs...it is pathetic.

Well about 7:30 am, I hear a war break out to the south of me. There are 3 quick shots, followed by another 2 quick shots. Wait about 2 minutes, and a 6th shot. Either this guy doesn't know how to shoot, or he just filled all his tags in a matter of 5 minutes. About 8:45, I see antlers coming up over a little hill about 100 yards to the south of me. A small forkhorn is hobbling up the hill. He gets about 50 yards from me and I can see that his front leg has been shattered, blood running down it and it is just dangling. (-1 bad shot) :xmad: I thought about putting it down just because I hate to see an animal suffer, but I have already filled my buck tag. I didn't want to take the chance that a CO would come out and see me with a buck and no buck tag. He wanders over to the east and is making it toward "fence sitter's" stand. I am hoping fence sitter at least shoots him to put him out of his misery. Forkhorn emerges from the woods, and makes it about 50 yards into the open corn field before fence sitter finally sees him. Fence sitter turns sharply to his right to see the buck, but the buck sees him, since he is only about 30 yards away. Buck snorts and runs as fast as a 3 legged deer can run away to the North to another patch of woods. Fence sitter tries to grunt at him to get him to come back, but he was long gone. It wasn't 5 minutes, and fence sitter is climbing down out of his stand and making a bee-line for the other woods like he is going to chase this deer down. It's about 9:00 now, and right at the time that the deer are moving. Great! (-1 morons)

So, I'm sitting in my blind hoping things will settle down and I still fill a doe tag. About 9:45, I hear something to my south. Sure enough, it's this same forkhorn that "fence sitter" has been pushing all over God's creation. Steam is pouring off his body, and he is breathing heavily. Now he is only 30 yards away. He ends up hobbling back to the North again, out of view. About 10:30, I head back to the car. Day is over.

I decided to meet my wife and kids (half day at school) for lunch at Pizza Hut. My sister, brother in law, and their kids decide to join us. Sitting there, my brother in law informs me that he let a friend go out and sit in my blind yesterday. (-1 moron) He proceeds to tell me that his friend shot at a big 10 pointer but he thinks he missed. Now, I have seen this buck and he is nice. My dad is coming to visit from out of state for Thanksgiving, and I really wanted him to have a shot at him. I ask brother in law for some more details. Apparently, 10 pointer was standing in the field. I ask where in the field, and bro in law tells me. I say, "you know, that is about 250 yards away from my blind." Ya, well his friend "adjusted for distance". I asked what the deer did when he shot and brother in law says it acted really strange. It jumped up and kicked like a mule a bunch of times, then spun around in circles and ran off. It stopped after about 100 yards fell down and rolled around then got back up and ran onto another property. But the friend thinks he missed. :rolleyes: (-1 bad shot and moron) Probably gut shot or just injured. :xmad:

I tell you, it's things like this that just take all the fun out of hunting.

:ranton:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That's horrible. The whole thing is horrible. I used to be a fairly active deer hunter, but I will not go out in the woods during gun season any more because of crap like that.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Stories like that make me grind my teeth.

Some countries make you take a marksmanship proficiency test before they let you hunt with a gun. In my opinion, that's not a bad idea at all.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    It's unfortunate that all of those things mentioned above, go on. Fence sitters suck!!:xmad: And people taking stupid shots, not knowing what they're doing, etc., not making a decent attempt at recovering/tracking wounded deer. :noway::xmad::noway::xmad::noway:. Thats why I pretty much enjoy archery and muzzleloader seasons - not as much stupid crap going on.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    This reminds me of a post but the poster was complaining that someone else claiming "his" deer that made it a cross the fence. It was suppose to be a 150 to 160 class buck
    hmmm wonder if it could have been a fork horn and he ezaggerated the story to make it sound better

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Next season, get a fence sitter tag.

I wish you could buy those!!LOL

Honestly, I understand your pain, but the best thing you can do is learn to use the patterns of others and how they make deer move. I have grown up with neighbors such as the ones that you describe, and the one thing I have learned is that when I hear them shooting, to get ready, because that usually means that a deer is running my way.

Its a terrible thing to watch people who hunt that way, but the best thing to do is be the example others learn from, and take advantage of the opportunities they create.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Evidence

Stories like that support the theory that there are hunters and then there are idiots with guns in the woods. Sometimes, you can't tell whether hunters, deer, or hunting in general are in more jeopardy.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Sounds line the making of a hard luck country song! The only thing you left out would be ATV riders riding through the area. I won't let my son ride his dirt bike anywhere near where I know people hunt.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    First off I am blessed to have been able to buy a great property with recreational opportunities. I don't hunt deer but don't have an issue with those that do. In fact I have two friends who are out this season with their sons, one of which bagged a nice buck 45 minutes into the opening day.

Wednesday I took the gator around the farm to check out a few things and stopped by the shooting berm that I recently completed:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/179622-its_done_for_now.html

Absolutely directly behind and above the berm, I see an orange stocking cap in a tree stand. I wasn't sure if I should cut loose with a barrage or give him a heads up that that might not be the best spot in the future. But I drove away shaking my head.

Out of courtesy to the neighboring hunters, I don't shoot during the prime hunting times.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Some spots just aren't worth the aggravation.

This is kind of where I'm at right now. I took my dad out on Thanksgiving Day, and the guy to the south was shooting all day long. Geez, shotgun slugs are expensive too. I didn't even go out today, and don't plan on going out tomorrow either. I'm so frustrated, I'm just calling it quits for this year. Maybe next year I will try bow season. At least not as many idiots then.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    well it beats setting in a stand for days and not deeing nothing. But i do agree yhere is not much worse than seeing a deer mortally wounded.

Top Bottom