• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    And this is why our society is going to hell in a hand basket. No respect for the neighbor.

Years ago I built a fence in a development. Had to get permission from the HMA. No problem. I wanted a privacy fence so I went to both neighbors and asked if they wanted to hook onto my fence. If so I would build it on the property line. One neighbor said absolutely but he didn't want a privacy fence. So together we set the flags and I built my fence at my cost and then we built his picket fence using mine as one side. Saved him 1/3 of a fence. The other neighbor said no fence. So together we set the flags and I built mine about 1 mower width off the property line. That way if they ever decided to put up a fence later they could and we would mow between them. This also gave me access to the utility easement behind the house.

Fast forward to three years ago. Neighbor behind me building a chain link fence. I talked to him while he was setting flags and reminded him that there was a utility easement behind the house. So he put the fence on the level ground next to the easement which was much easier anyway. Now I mow my lawn, the easement and onto his property up to his fence. Easier for me and easier for him. See how being neighborly works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And this is why our society is going to hell in a hand basket. No respect for the neighbor.

Years ago I built a fence in a development. Had to get permission from the HMA. No problem. I wanted a privacy fence so I went to both neighbors and asked if they wanted to hook onto my fence. If so I would build it on the property line. One neighbor said absolutely but he didn't want a privacy fence. So together we set the flags and I built my fence at my cost and then we built his picket fence using mine as one side. Saved him 1/3 of a fence. The other neighbor said no fence. So together we set the flags and I built mine about 1 mower width off the property line. That way if they ever decided to put up a fence later they could and we would mow between them. This also gave me access to the utility easement behind the house.

Fast forward to three years ago. Neighbor behind me building a chain link fence. I talked to him while he was setting flags and reminded him that there was a utility easement behind the house. So he put the fence on the level ground next to the easement which was much easier anyway. Now I mow my lawn, the easement and onto his property up to his fence. Easier for me and easier for him. See how being neighborly works.

Yup. This is true "If" said neighbors are decent folks.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Similarly, the fence installing neighbor in this case has an in-ground pool. By code, she is required to have a 5' or higher fence around the pool area with appropriate gate hardware.

It's been some time since I've searched, but I looked all over for this once and could not find it. Is this a local, state, or subdivision thing? Do you have any links (handy)?

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Assuming that someone else is fine paying for something that isn't there idea is a bad assumption. It's always wise to talk with your neighbors first, come to an agreement, then take action.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    When I moved into my old house the neighbors broken down fence was leaned over into our yard and sitting over our property line quite a bit. We asked him to repair it, he never did. So we sprang for a survey, and then tore his fence down and put ours up in its place. You should've seen the surprise on his face.

He didn't want to fix what was already there, he wasn't about to split the price of the fence or survey. He was never a good neighbor, but never strayed into the horrible neighbor territory either.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A friend and his wife were in the early stages of thinking about putting up a wooden privacy fence between their house and a neighbor's house. They got hung up on whether to make the fence face their house or the neighbors house. The guy tried to convince his wife that, the people who own the fence always make the fence face out from their house. The wife was saying "If we build the fence, why do the neighbors get to see the prettiest part of it?

While they were in a bit of limbo with that debate, some time passed and then the neighbor came over one day and asked if they had any objections if he built a wooden privacy fence between their houses (in the same place they'd planned to build theirs).

They both said they were fine with that. My friend didn't have to build a fence, or pay for it, and his wife got to look at the pretty side of it. Problem solved.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    It's been some time since I've searched, but I looked all over for this once and could not find it. Is this a local, state, or subdivision thing? Do you have any links (handy)?

I found it here:

https://in.gov/dhs/files/TITLE_15_LAND_USAGE_revision_1(1).pdf
    154.051 Permitted Accessory Uses and Structtures
    Paragraph (C)

(C) A private swimming pool and bath house fenced and protected against hazards to the publicby fences or walls which totally enclose the swimming pool not less than five feet in height nor more
    than seven feet in height. The fence or wall shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching gates
    or doors, the latching devise being located not less than four feet above ground or floor surface area of
    the entryway located in a rear yard;

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    How much does a survey generally run? $250? $300?

I believe there are two levels of surveys - one where they locate property boundary pins, a second where they exactly measure and place the property lines. The later is probably rare and only used in the cases of specific disputed boundaries, especially in zero clearance areas. For the pin location survey that I had done several years ago, it was ~$260 for the 1 acre residential parcel that we own.

In this situation, I encouraged the effected neighbor to invest in a survey to accurately establish the property line.

Mike

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Assuming that someone else is fine paying for something that isn't there idea is a bad assumption. It's always wise to talk with your neighbors first, come to an agreement, then take action.

Normally I would agree with you when both parties approach this situation with a calm head. The fence building neighbor is, lets just say, "abrasive" and has demanded payment from her neighbors. In my view, she's in the wrong but I'm no lawyer - I'm trying to provide some paths of remedy to the older couple along with supporting building codes and procedures.

Mike

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I paid $250 in 2010 for a .23 acre lot . At the time Floyd county would cover surveys for free. Clark County did not and the only one that would do it was of course the county surveyor. They acted like it would be 2-3k for my current 5 acre lot.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyone got a metal detector? Go find the pins yourself. Then, that'll give you an idea as to whether there's really an issue. It's not like having a survey done, but it can let you know whether one is really necessary. I've done this on 2 different properties I owned.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Subdivision lot cost me $700 with 4 pins in each corner measured and precise. 8 acres cost me $1700 6 pins measured and precise. Each came with paperwork and drawings. Well worth the money!!! I used sure line inc in Greenwood. They will go up to new pal

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Normally I would agree with you when both parties approach this situation with a calm head. The fence building neighbor is, lets just say, "abrasive" and has demanded payment from her neighbors. In my view, she's in the wrong but I'm no lawyer - I'm trying to provide some paths of remedy to the older couple along with supporting building codes and procedures.

Mike

The key word is "Demand". That will get the door closed on you.
    Abrasive. Another key word. Same response.
    Ask/discuss and be civil. It is her idea not the neighbors. She should bear the burden involved here.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    The key word is "Demand". That will get the door closed on you.
    Abrasive. Another key word. Same response.
    Ask/discuss and be civil. It is her idea not the neighbors. She should bear the burden involved here.

Completely agree. The older couple asked her to leave the property and go pound sand. She then called the police who showed up simply to keep the peace. After all, this is a civil matter and not something the police typically want to get involved with.

Mike

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Completely agree. The older couple asked her to leave the property and go pound sand. She then called the police who showed up simply to keep the peace. After all, this is a civil matter and not something the police typically want to get involved with.

Mike

Call the police for what?
    She was on their property and told to go, simple just go!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have to keep my 1st/2nd/3rd response to this to myself.
    This is the 4th edit. Not o your response but mikebols post.

That LEO was even bothered here is just, well, wrong.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    It's basically bullying for grown-ups, but it also reminds me of some people's politics where they want something, but they want someone else to pay for it.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar

Fence building neighbor alleges the wife of the older couple pushed her. I can only guess that the fence building neighbor wanted the police to intervene as a way to bully the older couple.

I have to keep my 1st/2nd/3rd response to this to myself.
    This is the 4th edit. Not o your response but mikebols post.

That LEO was even bothered here is just, well, wrong.

Correct. And that's what I explained to the older couple, this is not a police matter and not to be upset or alarmed in any way. This is a bullying tactic and to stay the course.

It's basically bullying for grown-ups, but it also reminds me of some people's politics where they want something, but they want someone else to pay for it.

Bingo!

Top Bottom