• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    No flames from me. ;) I was a little surprised when I was first exposed to it via friends in Texas and Australia. Apparently, it is relatively common there. The dogs wear wide collars to minimize k9 injury. The hogs... Well.

Since there was no graphic warning at the thread title, I removed the image. I can't edit it from the quote but did what I can after a potential faux pax.

FWIW, the traditional method was to use dogs to corner and finish the pig with a short hafted boar spear. Not everything "traditional" continues to be a good idea, conceded, but I personally don't have a problem with this method. I can see how others might and offer no judgement (or flames ;) ) accordingly.

Anyone that knows of a population, has property owner permission, and intends to organize a hunt? I would love to tag along - traditional or centerfire.

Thanks for the response paddling_man. I don't mind that people hunt, it's just not something that has really interested me. I do feel that a quick, clean kill is what we owe animals. Not the fear of being chased and cornered and then knifed.

I respect people who hunt. I just don't want animals to unduly suffer.

Reps to you paddling_man for a such a respectful response:yesway:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    A lot of old time hog farmers killed their hogs by slitting their throats while feeding, or is it chasing them with dogs that disturbs you.

You know, I think it's just the combination of the chase and then the knifing. I do realize that I would be naive to think that the animals that are processed for human consumption don't suffer somewhat as well.

I'm certainly not opposed to hunting the feral hogs.

Just my :twocents:

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Yes we have them in Warrick county seen them several times. A friend shot 2 of them from his deer stand with a bow a couple years ago. He had both of them on his front rack of his ATV and not on top of each other. So yes they were quite small. There was a sow and 4 little ones shot not to far from my house a while back and she was quite large. You can follow them through the woods and fields when they are foraging for food just follow the path of destruction. I have never been lucky enough while yote or deer hunting to see one it is always when I am trail riding and just for an instant and no way have a safe shot.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I was in Texas they were usually referring to javilina’s, proper name is The Collared Peccary. Max weight is around a 100 pounds. With straight tusks.
    They are aggressive but not nearly as bad as what you are likely to find as a feral hog here. I have also heard that some people where trying to "import" them to the state for the sport of it. Would not surprise me if they had actually got it done. The mostly likely thing that has happened is that some have gotten lose from there farms. I have seen domestic hogs in excess of 1000 pounds. As Domesticated animals they can be quite vicious. And if you are planning on hunting on hunting one you had better bring something with a LOT of stopping power.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I was in Texas they were usually referring to javilina’s, proper name is The Collared Peccary. Max weight is around a 100 pounds. With straight tusks.
    They are aggressive but not nearly as bad as what you are likely to find as a feral hog here. I have also heard that some people where trying to "import" them to the state for the sport of it. Would not surprise me if they had actually got it done. The mostly likely thing that has happened is that some have gotten lose from there farms. I have seen domestic hogs in excess of 1000 pounds. As Domesticated animals they can be quite vicious. And if you are planning on hunting one you had better bring something with a LOT of stopping power.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes we have them in Warrick county seen them several times. A friend shot 2 of them from his deer stand with a bow a couple years ago.

Great:noway:. I'm in NW Spencer county and neighbor to a hog farmer. At least its easy to tell which are farm raised.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My reasoning is that a friend down in TX uses hot 9mm on up for these. I doubt they grow as large down there, but you never know...[\quote]

Chances your friend was using that 9mm for Peccary, not "wild hogs".

Porcine cousins, of which the Peccary is quite small. A HUGE Peccary would be 100lbs, but most are "dog sized".

Sure, for Peccary, a hot 9mm + GOOD SHOT PLACEMENT would work.

But a 9mm would only serve to tick off an escaped farm hog or one of those other varieties that've been talked about in this thread.

-J-

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I've got a friend who has hunted them in Bedford, IN. He seems to have a heck of a time doing it. He used a 30/30.. not sure of the legality but it works!

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I used to see some escaped domestic hogs in Harrison-Crawford Forest while horseback riding. If they revert back to their "wild" ways after a few litters, then, Yes, I can believe that. Maybe they are not talking about the Razorback hogs, just domestic hogs escaped to the wild.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I will definitely be on the watch. I doubt they will get to be in our area though. I've heard that a good 45+p will do the trick for close range. I'd prob have my SKS and my 1911 as my backup loaded with the federal 185 gr+P hydrashocks.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    yes they exist. Uncle got 2 during dear season last year in brown county. Both were relatively young. Think they weighed 150-200lb. Made some tasty pork chops.

Locals down there got a 350lb er' last year. They have also apparently been trapping them in oversize animal traps.

CO's say shoot them on site, with whatever you have . . .

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got a friend who has hunted them in Bedford, IN. He seems to have a heck of a time doing it. He used a 30/30.. not sure of the legality but it works!

Completely legal. There aren no rules on firearms for hogs. Nor is there a season. They are considered a problem, and are competitive with native animals. They are also extremely destructive.

I killed a 160+ pound hog Saturday night in Goliad, Texas. They are mean suckers and are VERY smart. They are not at all easy to hunt, but boy is it fun when you get one!

I learned much about them on this hunt, and will be searching for someone with land in the Lawrence county area. You have to scout for them and confirm their presence. Once that is done, I know how to go about it. If anyone here has access to land there, let me know and I'd be interested in getting together and locating, studying, and then hunting the hogs. A DNR officer confirmed their presence in that area.

I'll be posting a pic of my hog soon. I got him with an AR15 with a high quality night vision scope. It was a pitch black night, with no moon. He was at about 50 yards away and I took him with a neck shot.

I can't begin to describe how fun this was. If anyone is interested in going down there to Tx and hunting with the best guide around, PM me and I'll give you his contact information. He's a wealth of information and has access to 8000 acres of hog-infested land. The hunting is tough right now because of drought, but it will get better! I'm going back in December.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    This is me with my boar. I got him early Sunday morning, with an AR shooting 6.8spc with 85 grain Barnes TSX bullets, and a night-vision scope with an illuminator. The shot was approximately 40 to 50 yards. This calibre and bullet has a devastating effect on hogs. I also had my .223 AR loaded with 55 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I think it would have put the hog down firmly, as well, but not like the 6.8. We'll have to see next time. Anyway, here it is:

Reminder--This is in Texas, not Indiana.

Picture034.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Oh, I almost forgot. That's a supressor on the gun, too. 12" barrel. Neat gun, and shoots straight as an arrow. That bullet hit exactly where I wanted it.

The hole on this side was not my first shot. The first shot was in the neck on the other side. It looked like he turned to charge us, so my brother and I both fired additional shots, striking the hog at least 3 more times. The wound you see was an entry wound. About 16 or 18 inches toward the rear you can see a verticle line of skin. That is a 4 and 1/2 inch exit wound that looked like a tear. Underneath, was a large hole with pieces of shattered vertibrae all over the place. That was a 110 grain Barnes TSX Sellier and Bellot round, bought from our good friend, Bob, at Plainfield Shooting Supply. I'll be showing my pics to Bob tomorrow evening, on my way home from work!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Notice on my shirt collar the little black thing. It is an infrared beacon. That made each of us highly visible through night vision scopes, just in case someone pointed in the direction of another person. It was absolutely pitch dark out there. if you pointed your gun within even a 45 degree angle of another guy, the beacon lit up your scope with flashes. That was a nice safety feature, but fortunately, everyone stuck to the game plan and those did not have to save anyone.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here's the first shot. While he looked like he was charging, he actually dropped where he stood. The first shot was easily fatal. Notice the blood splatter on the tree trunk. He basically dropped in his tracks. the other shots weren't necessary. Heck, it was dark, and we crapped our pants thinking he was coming for us! He did not make any noise because his esophagus was destroyed.

This guy had rasor-sharp tusks under those pretty lips! There was a 200 pounder that was with him that we were wary of, too. (We wanted him badly, but never found him again).

Picture026.jpg

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    A friend of my brother used to raise and train Dogo Argentinos just for hog hunting. These dogs are rated by how well they can hunt in a pack and the highest rated ones can hunt and control a hog by them self. Sorry didnt mean to thread jack just been wanting one of these dogs since I seen my first one in Ca. if there were a large amount of feral hogs near by I would be adding a Dogo to the family just for hunting.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvgh7KVMPo8"]YouTube - hunting with dogo argentino[/ame]

Top Bottom