• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Ok so I've had the AK-47 for awhile now and I've only recently wanted to know a little more about it.

I want to know any info good or bad about this type of AK
    The rifle says made by CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR Romania
    imported by CAI Georgia

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    HINT: Type that into Google and enjoy reading until your eyes bleed. Trust me when I say it is much better to search for this type of info rather than have it spoon fed.

That being said, if you have anything more specific to ask I'm sure many of us AK guys will be more than happy to help you but we would never get to shoot our own AKs if we wrote out everything we knew about them everyday. I am also still learning about them and enjoy every minute knowing I have an awesome rifle.

Also, what did you base your purchase on? Price point? Comparison? I am curious thats all. Post pics of it on the sticky when you get a chance, that should be a requirement to post a question... Pics first!

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    On the opposite side of the receiver does it say WASR-10, or WASR-10/63?
    Does the receiver have dimples above the magwell, or is it smooth?

Pics would help.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    sounds like the WASR 10, which is generally considered bottom of the barrel. Even with its reputation, the WASR can be a darn fine weapon provided that the sights are not canted, etc.

I have a WASR and it does what an AK should. I have no complaints.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the world of the "ATF AK".

The Romanians shipped many different models of the AKM to the USA. To help any, other that what was said above about using Google, knowing which model you got would be very helpful. ;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Three very important letters with one number! The SAR-1 was laughed at when it came into this country in late 1999 because it wasn't pretty, and the wood looked like the lacquer coating was applied with a brush, but the joke was on those who laughed.

The SAR-1 was and remains the only military issue AKM ever imported into the land of "shall not be infringed". All other AK variants were and are commercial rifles for sale here. Romanian soldiers did not get full auto until they earned it after basic training, and the SAR-1 was the rifle they were given. The only changes made were to replace the pistol grip, fire control group, and gas piston with US made parts to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment.

You are correct that yours is a 2001 model. The later imports, 2001 to the end in early 2004 were the better ones as Century started using better hammers in their trigger sets.

I have a 2000 SAR-1 that I put over 14,000 rounds through (lost count for some reason) and it still looks as nice as it did when I got it. It might not be as pretty as a Weatherby, but if you want pretty, get a Weatherby. If you want a rifle that you can count on, then the SAR-1 is good to go.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    As promised here is a picture of it
    IMG_8350.jpg

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    The SAR-1 doesn't have a threaded muzzle, but otherwise like stated above it's better respected than most other Romanian imports. The dimples in the receiver are a plus.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Lots of people like to think the dimples are for mag stability, but in reality they strengthen the receiver.

Look closely, you will notice that in most AKM receivers the dimples aren't deep enough to touch the mag.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My Maadi doesn't have a threaded barrel, doesn't bother me much. The slanted muzzle breaks on most AK's look nice but don't serve much function. If it's on there great but if not no biggie. Looks like a nice AK! :yesway:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Oh yes, as to the muzzle of the SAR-1 not being threaded, all SAR-1s that went to the Romanian military did not have threaded muzzles as there really is no used for the slant brake on a semi-auto AK.

Top Bottom