• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Has anyone here been through the FFL application process? I'm just starting to look into it. Some family members of mine own an auction house in Indiana and have a lot of opportunities to auction firearms including consignment (which would require an FFL since they're taking possession). I'm considering applying to partner with them specifically on firearm sales only. It actually doesn't look too insane and we have a great location for secure storage.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    Has anyone here been through the FFL application process? I'm just starting to look into it. Some family members of mine own an auction house in Indiana and have a lot of opportunities to auction firearms including consignment (which would require an FFL since they're taking possession). I'm considering applying to partner with them specifically on firearm sales only. It actually doesn't look too insane and we have a great location for secure storage.

I have my FFL and Class 3 (NFA) license, I'm currently helping a friend get hers, she just applied. What is your question?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have my FFL and Class 3 (NFA) license, I'm currently helping a friend get hers, she just applied. What is your question?

I suppose that would have helped! I'm wondering about the physical location aspect, does it matter if I list my home address or would I need to provide the "store front." Firearms for auction would be stored at the auction house but it's not my business, I would just be providing FFL services to the business.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    We went through ffl123.com. I don't know if it's entirely necessary, but it simplified things greatly and eliminated a lot of potentially damning errors.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I suppose that would have helped! I'm wondering about the physical location aspect, does it matter if I list my home address or would I need to provide the "store front." Firearms for auction would be stored at the auction house but it's not my business, I would just be providing FFL services to the business.

The address you use on the application does not have to be a store front but it must be legal to sell guns at that location so if it is your home you need to make sure that there are no zoning laws or home owner association rules that would prevent you from running a business out of your home. The ATF will check this by the way so you want to avoid delays by making sure that you can sell from whatever address you use. Even a store front isn't a guarantee of acceptance if the landlord does not sign off on that type of business in their building. Any gun you sell or transfer must be done from the address you list on your license so regardless of where you physically store your guns the key is that any transfers or sales must be done at the location on the license. Any guns you list as part of your inventory must be in your book and should be on premises as they can inspect this if they choose to. Based on what you are saying here and since it is in support of the auction business you are almost better off listing the auction house address as your place of business.

As Rebel Jack recommended you can use FFL123. it isn't a bad thing but really the data you need to fill out the application is available on the interwebs but if you want a back up data source FFL123 is a good one.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Not to muddy the waters, if they have to sell at the address on the FFL how do dealers sell at gun shows ? and are their restrictions on a pawn shop FFL that would keep them from selling at a gun show ?

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Not to muddy the waters, if they have to sell at the address on the FFL how do dealers sell at gun shows ? and are their restrictions on a pawn shop FFL that would keep them from selling at a gun show ?

[h=1]May licensees sell firearms at gun shows?[/h]Generally, a licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer may sell firearms temporarily at a qualifying gun show or event located within his or her State of licensure. Licensees may, however, sell curio or relic firearms to another licensee at any location.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(j), 27 CFR 478.100]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensees-sell-firearms-gun-shows

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    What npwinder wrote is correct. There is even a spot (question 17) on the 4473 form, which requires the dealer to include the name and address of the "qualifying gun show or event", should he or she sell at such an event. It is the only situation in which a licensed dealer can sell outside the premises listed on their FFL.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Not sure what is defined as "qualifying gun show or event", but couldn't the OP list his home as his FFL address, then on the 4473, include "ABC Estate Auction, 123 Main Street" as the "qualifying event"?

Top Bottom